Thread: Best "Base" for flying jobs

Default Best "Base" for flying jobs

Hello all, I am from SC and dream of flying in ALaska. I know, I know, with the "reality" shows on TV about ALaska I am sure everyone wants to come. But, this is something I have wanted to do for a long time. May never happen, but its good to have dreams anyway.
    What would you guys think is the best city to base yourself in if you want to get a job flying supplies/people, etc. I am still in the beginning phase of flight training so it will be a while before I am able to do anything. I know I have to get up there and do some Alaskan flying before anyone would even consider hiring me. Do you think it would be easier to come up and get a job working the ramp at an airport first?
    I really want more of a smaller town, but still need opportunities also. So, don't want Anchorage, but cannot live in an eskimo village either.
    I know all of these are remedial questions, but I just wanna get some idea what to expect and how to pursue. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBfromSC View Post
    Hello all, I am from SC and dream of flying in ALaska. I know, I know, with the "reality" shows on TV about ALaska I am sure everyone wants to come. But, this is something I have wanted to do for a long time. May never happen, but its good to have dreams anyway.
    What would you guys think is the best city to base yourself in if you want to get a job flying supplies/people, etc. I am still in the beginning phase of flight training so it will be a while before I am able to do anything. I know I have to get up there and do some Alaskan flying before anyone would even consider hiring me. Do you think it would be easier to come up and get a job working the ramp at an airport first?
    I really want more of a smaller town, but still need opportunities also. So, don't want Anchorage, but cannot live in an eskimo village either.
    I know all of these are remedial questions, but I just wanna get some idea what to expect and how to pursue. Thanks.
    It is doubtful that anytthing you read on this forum will prepare you for Alaska. Find a way to come up and visit sucyh "big cities" as King Salmon, Dillingham, Seward, Kotzebue, Juneau, Ketchikan or others of that ilk. All will have flying opportunities, and each will present a different set of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    It is doubtful that anytthing you read on this forum will prepare you for Alaska. Find a way to come up and visit sucyh "big cities" as King Salmon, Dillingham, Seward, Kotzebue, Juneau, Ketchikan or others of that ilk. All will have flying opportunities, and each will present a different set of circumstances.
    Hmmm...I cannot believe no one even wants to chime in with "my area is the best..." Basically, just wanted to know where is a good airport to fly out of and what area generally has openings, etc. Maybe there is a job site I can view that would give me an idea..

C

Bethel. The hub for newbie northern commercial pilots. Enjoy.

Somewhere your wife or GF does not mind living, if your wife does not want to be there then you dont want to be there. Thats really all there is to that. Anchorage is probably the best base unless you have a spouse that is ok living in a village.

If you cant get based out of a cosmopolitan area then its not worth straining your marriage over. If your a single eunch then anywhere is good I guess.