Thread: Avgas in cordova

Default Avgas in cordova

Is there any way to get avgas in cordovas merle air port? Also how often is cordova weathered in with ground fog in mid september?

If not i might be carrying a gas can in my lap from yakutat, land fill up and continue on to valdez.

You can buy gas at the city airport from Cordova air.

CORDOVA AIR SERVICE INC
    P.O. BOX 528
    CORDOVA, Alaska 99574-0528, USA
    Tel: 907-424-7611
    Fax: 907-424-3495

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Is there any way to get avgas in cordovas merle air port? Also how often is cordova weathered in with ground fog in mid september?

If not i might be carrying a gas can in my lap from yakutat, land fill up and continue on to valdez.

Ground fog in Cordova at the Merle K Smith Airport in September generally occurs when the sky is clear and then only in the morning hours. On the other hand the whole area can be well below VFR minimums with fog, rain and wind during fall storms. Also if the wind is blowing 20 kts out of the southeast at the Merle K. Smith Airport, it can be blowing 50 or more at the city strip due to the venturi effect of the wind being funneled through The Gap between the mountains at the east end of Eyak Lake. The city strip sits along the north side of Eyak Lake at the west end of the lake.

Another possible hazard at the city strip occurs when a strong north wind is blowing. There is little evidence of that north wind at the the city strip or even visible as wind-produced waves on Eyak Lake. But there are occasional severe down drafts coming down over the mountains along the north side of the city strip producing severe unexpected rolling turbulence and direct strong cross winds.

how often is it safe to fly directly from valdez to anchorage, its a pretty short jaunt but it looks really treterous on the sectionals?

Today would be amazing but I fear this is extremely rare and that mid to late sept would not be so nice, I guess we will have to check weather in valdez and decide which route to go.

You'd be hard pressed to fly directly from Valdez to Anchorage unless you can climb to several thousand feet at about a 45 degree angle. Your best bet would be from Valdez to Whittier, then through Portage Pass ( the lowest pass through the Chugach Mountain Range within a reasonable distance from Valdez and Anchorage) Then on to Anchorage down Turnagain Arm. There are some other closer passes between Valdez and Anchorage, but they're considerably higher and you'd be going through the mountains almost all the way. The route to Anchorage through Portage Pass is only a slightly curved dog leg from a direct route.

Anchorage to Valdez is an easy 1 hour in my Cessna 150. I have done it several times, however, the odds of getting stuck in Valdez due to low ceilings are pretty high compared to most places. Cordova is the same way. I find the FAA weather cams to be very useful in making a go/no-go decision.

http://akweathercams.faa.gov/sitelist.php

Thank you, I have entered this in my phone. I will call them up in advance to see how much of a fiasco it is to actually have the fuel delivered and if its going to be a goat rope we may opt to carry a 5 gal can on my lap and just fuel up right on the run way and leave again. I only need enough fuel to get to Valdez and that is a lagit commecial air port.

I only need enough fuel to get to Valdez and that is a lagit commecial air port.
    Last July, I was able to buy fuel at Cordova Muni but there was none in Valdez. In Valdez, someone was nice enough to loan me some gas cans and drive me to the gas station to buy some mogas. You better check on that. As I recall, there w still wasn't anyone selling 100 LL at Valdez.

Oh wow, well hopefully we can get fuel at cordova then. If not the worse case will be my wife bringing me 100LL via road to valdez, im not putting car gas in a pitts.

You can get gas from Cordova Air at the west end of the municipal strip.

Is the muni strip paved and at least 1800 ft?

Here you go it took me all of 5 seconds to find it, http://www.airnav.com/airport/CKU/

Is the muni strip paved and at least 1800 ft?
    You should become familiar with this and a current sectional. If you have learned to fly and do not know how to check your destination airports for fuel and what ever else, then....WOW! Good luck to you, something tells me you may need it.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fligh...plementalaska/