Thread: Identifying Ewe from young ram

Default Identifying Ewe from young ram

Got into a discussion today with a few guys about the regs and how F&G go about identifying the different sexs they cover everything except sheep it's
    all about identifying a full curl nothing about identifying ewes from young rams. For those of you that have hunted ewes what do you look for ? Anything else besides squating to urinate or the family jewels ? In the harvest reports they only tell you how many ewes were harvested and not where.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Sorry, don't know the answer to your question, but I was wondering what units/hunts allow you to take ewes. Not really interested in hunting them, just curious. Thanks.

-Eric

Smile EWE VS Young Ram

First, Be Patient and watch them interact with one another. Look at how the animal is behaving compared to the others. I have not seen a ewe that was not composed and steady when compared to you rams that were bounding about. Second, look for lambs around the ewe. Third, nut sack. Ewe's do not have them, and you can see udders on the ewes if you have good optics and the angle of viewing is good.

Be patient and avoid a violation.

Not all ewes will have lambs. Ewes horns are extremely thinner and usually never result in a curl. A good place to view sheep is off the Richardson HWY, south of the Black Rapids Training Area (south of Ft. Greely) I usually always see sheep there. Also near Turnagain arm...K

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    Sorry, don't know the answer to your question, but I was wondering what units/hunts allow you to take ewes. Not really interested in hunting them, just curious. Thanks.

-Eric
    Unit 14 C by Drawing only
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

25 has a "3 sheep" area if you can figure out how to get there as aircraft are not permitted. The reg reads no motorized access from the dalton as well but I don't know if that includes boats.

Unit 7 also has a ewe hunt by drawing permit - Crescent Lake, I think.

Default You gotta be kidding right

last time I checked - Ewe's didn't have balls, except for those ones down by the nuclear plant.

First thing i said and saw when i went sheeping hunting the first time over 20 years ago - was.....Good Lord, look at the size of thier nuts.

They give a Grapefruit a Run for thier money

Default Exactly!

Check out the sack on those things! When I shot my first ram, I was flabbergasted! I told my buddy, no wonder they "crash" heads during the rut!!

Talking Speed Bag

Okay,

So being a guy we are a little bit focussed on a nut sack the size of a speed bag. Ever know the reason for it? The reason is that the ewes will come in season at the same time and the dominant ram will mate with as many as possible. He might even be able to impregnate 100 in a 24 hour period.

I am 46 now and cannot keep up at that pace. Besides, I don't think I could smoke that many cigarettes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Ewe vs. Young Ram

Judging a young ram from a ewe isn't that hard. If you watch a group for a while you'll figure it out. It's a little bit like judging a nanny from a billy.

When your drawing permit comes in the mail it includes some specific info for differentiating the two. The thin horns of a young ram begin to curl outward. An ewe is more like a goat than a sheep.

I found that the juvenile rams were quite a bit smaller than the ewes. I spent quite a while looking over the ewes and lambs before I was comfortable shooting one.