Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Trip to AK was a Dream Come True!

Default First Trip to AK was a Dream Come True!

I have been visiting outdoorsdirectiry.com for over a year now and after returning from my first of hopefully many journeys to the great state of AK I would like to introduce myself. I own a small tree service in Connecticut. Been climbing trees professionally for 18 years. Last Oct. 2011 mother nature decided to dump 12" of heavy wet snow on us but she forgot that the leaves were still on the trees, thus shutting down our state. This event was epic and unprecedented there was never a recordable snow in Oct. in CT since they started keeping records over 150 years ago. Needless to say I had work up the wazoo. I had been researching Grizzly bear hunting for years and in winter of 2011 found a guide service www.freelanceoutdooradventures.com I spoke to the owner Lance Kronberger and decided that if I was going to make the trip from CT to AK his service was the one. At that time in 2011 his earliest available spring hunt would be 2013. Fast forward to Oct. 2011 two weeks into cleaning up after winter storm "Alfred" it became clear to me that I was going to be financially able to book a hunt with Lance and try to close the deal on a life long dream...hunting Grizzly. I called Lance to book for 2013 and got great news he had an opening for spring 2012 so I took it. I would be hunting Grizz in AK in 7 short months! This was a backpack style hunt we hiked many beautiful miles. Observed many bears, watched sows and cubs play, had mostly good weather, got torn up by mosquitoes a few times but on the 6th day of a 12 day hunt I was lucky enough to take a Grizz. I took him at 65 yards with my Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather .338 win. mag. loaded with Barnes ttsx 225gr. He dropped at the shot and a follow up shot was not needed. Because the rut was in full swing he was with a sow. The sow charged us twice. After a few choice words and two warning shots under 40 yards she caught our wind and was gone. The reality of a dream come true finally sank in...I got my GRIZZ! Special thanks to my guide he genuinely wanted to make this happen just as much as I did. Hide squared 8'4" Skull measured 24 13/16"

Jim Tweto and I with his 180

What a first post!!! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a great bear.

Beautiful bear, love the blond back and chocolate legs coloration, congratulations !

Shouldn't you have saved that money for retirement? Kidding, awesome post and you got to ride the THE 180. Very cool and congrats.

Congrat's on your hunt, Great looking bear. Heard alot of good things about Lance. His new area on the Pein. Buts up to where I got my moose, I'm sure that is now on your list along with everything else inn Alaska, LOL

Beautiful bear. Congratulations.

Nice bear...!!! am curious as to what area this was around?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Congrats on the hunt.Surprised Jim stood still for a pic and wasn't saying we got to go.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Congrats on your bear and glad you enjoyed Alaska

Great job and glad you had a chance to visit. Congrats on an awesome bear!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Nice bear...!!! am curious as to what area this was around?
    Don't you watch, "Flying Wild Alaska"?
    Hunt was in upper Andreafski River.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Awesome story and incredible bear! Thanks for sharing

I think that it may be a record to be a member for over a year and making just one post after all that time. Your first story and pictures are certainly wonderful. Congrats!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Thanks for all the congratulations! Not sure where we were exactly, when talking with Jim on the 1 hour bush-flight in we were dropped 100 miles north and east of Unalakleet. This bear qualifies as a Grizzly for Boone and Crockett records. I actually glassed him from the mountain in the 5th picture. He came up a draw with a sow. They must have been bedding in the willow brush because I first saw them at a close 550 yards when they popped out. We got off the mountain in minutes, luckily we had a perfect wind and when the sow lead him up and over the top of a rise we closed in on them. We snuck up and could see their backs not 70 yards away. The boar was laying facing us with the help of the terrain, we were hidden. We crawled a few yards closer to get a bit higher, I got set for the shot, my guide said "ready" and let the boar see us. As soon as he saw us the boar rose to his feet. I had a quartering towards shot, fixed my Leupold on his front shoulder, broke the shot and the boar folded right there. Bullet traveled through the left front chest and exited about midway down the opposite ribcage. My trophy was anchored and the dream of stalking grizz became a reality. After we got rid of the sow I called my wife on the satellite phone. This is the most memorable phonecall I ever made I would have loved for us to have been together on this hunt but calling her minutes after the stalk was the next best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    we were dropped 100 miles north and east of Unalakleet.
    Ooops...........my bad. More in the area of the upper Ungalik, Iglutalik rivers.
    Yankee.............what unit was your bear tag for?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

NICE bear! Congratulations for sure. Too bad the area you were hunting isn't a little more scenic

After flying with Jim Tweto in his 180, I'll bet "Flying Wild Alaska" on Discovery channel is one of your favorite shows

Nice! Congrats.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Nice Bear and a real adventure. Thats a dandy grizzly for sure. Nice to see the blue collar working man getting out and having a great hunt. Cheers!

That's a beauty! Congrats!

beautiful bear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast