Thread: Ruger Double Action Revolvers Quiz

Default Ruger Double Action Revolvers Quiz

Ruger Double Action Revolvers Quiz!

I am semi-retired and I am taking a self-passed and self-taught Armorers course and now I am on the Ruger Double Action Revolvers. I hope to become a part-time light Gunsmith in the near future.

There are over 60 quiz questions covering this firearm and I have answered most of them hopefully correctly but during my study and research I am having some problems related to some of the following quiz questions. I have conflicting answers.

Can you help me determine the correct answers for these few quiz questions?

Thanks for your help.

Note #1. The Ruger's cylinder locks
    a) in the front
    b) in the rear
    c) in the front and the rear

Note #2. The Ruger's double action feels smooth because
    a) The trigger only has to push up on the hammer strut (hammer dog) for a single stage pull until the hammer falls
    b) After thetrigger pushes up on the hammer strut (hammer dog) it gains a mechanical advantage by the trigger continuing to bring the hammer rearward by engaging the hammer itself until the hammer falls

Note #3. in single action, as the hammer is pulled rearward it moves what gun part to cock the gun?
    a) The cylinder
    b) The hand
    c) The trigger
    d) The transfer bar

Note #4. If the hammer doesn't actually hit the firing pin, how does the gun fire?
    a) The hammer does hit the firing pin to fire the gun
    b) The hammer hits the transfer bar to fire the gun
    c) The hammer hits the hammer dog to fire the gun
    d) None of the above

Note #5. When the trigger is pulled, what part hits the ratchet pads to make the cylinder rotate?
    a) The hand (pawl)
    b) The trigger itself
    c) The transfer bar
    d) None of the above

Note #6. What determines how far the cylinder will be rotated?
    a) The length of the transfer bar
    b) The width of the hand (pawl)
    c) The length of the hand (pawl)

Note #7. The length of the hand (pawl) determines when the cylinder will start to rotate. True or false

Note #8. What part prevents the cylinder from rotating freely when the gun is at rest or when it is ready to be fired?
    a) The cylinder stop (cylinder latch)
    b) The trigger
    c) The crane pivot lock plunger
    d) The crane latch pivot

1c
    4b the hammer hits the transfer bar, the transfer bar hits the firing pin
    5a
    6b
    7 true
    8a

I feel pretty good about the above, the ones I left out I don't want to guess wrong, esp. considering how knowledgable some of the folks here are.

Are you going to open a shop once you have completed the course or are you going to work for someone?

1=C
    2=B
    3=C
    4=B
    5=A
    6=C
    7=I think “true” but it's more than just that alone.
    8=A
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Are you going to open a shop once you have completed the course or are you going to work for someone?
    I will work for someone to get experience Gunsmithing. I am working part-time with a Gunsmith now that has over 40 years experience. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hoppy70 View Post
    I will work for someone to get experience Gunsmithing. I am working part-time with a Gunsmith now that has over 40 years experience. Thanks!
    Why don't you ask your employer the answer to those questions?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Better yet,

Why don't you pursue your program with academic discipline and honesty? .......instead of having forum members do the work for you.

Not to sound like a jerk here, but I agree with Mainer. Last week I disassembled my new .45 redhawk to detail clean it, and polish the internals. It took me only a few minutes of playing with it to be able to answer every question you asked. There's no substitute for having hands on the firearm, and "just seeing how it works" I cannot possible see how just being able to answer those questions in paper format makes a person truly understand what the heck is going on inside a Ruger DA. Just my humble opinion.

I can't help but agree with the last few posts. I assembled my first AR15 lower by watching youtube and would suggest that you will learn more there than by letting people here answer your quizzes for you.

I would think if the gunsmithing class is legit it may require some 'hands-on' smithing verified by either mentor or video that you send in of doing something with the guns. Answering (or rather obtaining answers to) questions does not educate you about a subject that is not learned. As Lu Jon mentioined You tube has some great educational videos about many topics including popular guns. Heck, I even replaced the computer screen on one of my laptops by watching a video!