Thread: King Stamp Price Drop Or Raise?

Default King Stamp Price Drop Or Raise?

I pay for a King Stamp every year for the management of this species, and it seems each year I get less and less. So do I just stop fishing for Kings and not purchase a stamp as it seems my opportunities are less and less each year,
    Or do I just purchase the stamp and tell myself I am supporting the management of this dwindling species?
    It seems to be a catch 22 (Pun intended) I want to support the fishery for sure, but seems the current program ain't working and I am seeing a negative return on my investment.
    Any thoughts? As the current program is failing miserably.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

I think way to much credit/blame gets put on to the managers of the fishery. There are more factors effecting salmon production that are out of their control then factors they can control. The current poor production is not harvest driven as evidenced by the wide area of the state that is affected (Cook Inlet king ocean migration patterns vs Western Alaska patterns), hatchery returns are also being affected, many streams had adequate escapement that produced these poor runs...........Sometimes you get 3 or 4 return per spawner, sometimes you don't even get one. That's just nature running wild.

ADF&G does not manage or set the bycatch levels of the trawl and pollack fisheries. They have no control of ocean rearing conditions. All they can effectively do is try to achieve escapement goals through manipulating harvest levels. As long as they are writing emergency orders and restricting harvest during periods of low returns, then they are doing their job. Looking at the EO web page, it appears they are working overtime this year.

FMB - You have four options. Three of them are legal. You can purchase KS stamp and participate in the fishery, thereby supporting Chinook salmon management thru your dollars, but also engaging in an activity that kills those fish (i.e., fishing). Or you can not purchase a KS stamp in which case you are not supporting their management, but presumably you're not trying to kill them either. Or you can purchase a KS stamp and voluntarily not fish for them. This option maximizes the benefit to the fish. That is, you're supporting their management with $$'s but you're not trying to kill them either.

And then there's the fourth option. You can not puchase a KS stamp but still fish for them, and presumably result in some level of Chinook salmon mortality. If you exercise this option, it's usually known as poaching. I don't advocate that option......

In light of the dire condition of the fish, consider Option #3.

The price of my king stamp just went WAY down. My party arrives the day after the pending king closure.

Lookin' fwd to a bumper crop of reds, pinks, and silvers for Team KeenEyeMD!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I wonder the same, fmb. The cost of a king stamp for the opportunity to harvest kings remained the same for my local waters, but the number of kings I could harvest went from 5 to 2. Then to none midway through the season. Only in Alaska, I guess. If I bought a punch card to a health club with 5 visits on it, good for a year, then shortly after buying it was told that it was only going to be good for 2 visits, I would be able to receive money back for the visits I could no longer use. Not so with king stamps. You can buy it under one set of rules, then find while using it the rules have changed and it is no longer valid, and there is no chance of a refund. Great system, no?

That is pretty arrogant willphish.

Your king stamp, just like your license, grants you an oppurtunity to fish, a PRIVILEDGE.

You act like it gives you a right to five kings with that BS punchcard analogy.

Everyone's frustrated that's for sure. I am just hoping that this is not the end of King fishing as we know it. Still know real answers out there that I have heard of. I am wondering what is next? Will we have to put in for a draw like Big Game?
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

I think it's obvious that king fishing in the rivers is going to need to take a breather to recover. The ocean seems to be a fairly good place to get them. Get a boat, and get fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    That is pretty arrogant willphish.

Your king stamp, just like your license, grants you an oppurtunity to fish, a PRIVILEDGE.

You act like it gives you a right to five kings with that BS punchcard analogy.
    I totally disagree with you And. When the stamp was purchased, it allowed me the opportunity to fish for, and retain, 5 kings. It also allowed me unlimited, within seasonal restrictions, opportunity to hook and release. First the opportunity for retention was reduced to two, then zero. Then the hook and release opportunity was removed. Yet the price of the stamp remained the same. As you said, the stamp grants me the opportunity to fish. What is the stamp good for, then, once that opportunity has been removed mid season?

[QUOTE=willphish4food;1150801]I totally disagree with you And. When the stamp was purchased, it allowed me the opportunity to fish for, and retain, 5 kings. It also allowed me unlimited, within seasonal restrictions, opportunity to hook and release. First the opportunity for retention was reduced to two, then zero. Then the hook and release opportunity was removed. Yet the price of the stamp remained the same. As you said, the stamp grants me the opportunity to fish. What is the stamp good for, then, once that opportunity has been removed

Then do not buy one anymore. Stay home

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I think it's obvious that king fishing in the rivers is going to need to take a breather to recover. The ocean seems to be a fairly good place to get them. Get a boat, and get fishing.
    True. Use your king tag for feeders. Or just skip the tag and fish for other species.

The stamp is good for king fishing statewide, not just the valley. You are able to use it in other areas that were still open, Nushagak. SE, Eklutna, Homer, KBay, Res Bay, etc.

True dat, commfish. But the value of a king stamp is diminished greatly when runs are poor. The value is far less, but the price remains the same. Tell me this, commfish. If you were currently being taxed $5 for every king you caught, and the state suddenly raised the tax to $12.50 per king, would you say something?

I don't mind the tax as it ostensibly is used to benefit the fishery, and allow anglers to continue fishing for bountiful runs of kings. Just cause I'm saying something about it, doesn't mean I don't support it, at least in concept.

You were also informed well in advance of the king salmon returning to the valley that restrictions were going to be put into place.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1584&year=2012

The problem with your question is we are not being taxed per fish caught. Your fishing license and king stamp is not a guarantee that you will catch anything. It is only to provide you the opportunity to engage in that activity somewhere within the state. I guess to follow your argument, anglers who only catch and release king salmon would want a discounted rate from someone who harvest fish.

I can see your point, I just don't agree with it.

A KS tag is $10. Well worth it for even one king. Well worth it for even to have the opportunity to catch one of these maganificiant fish. Even with years past of having a yearly limit of 5 kings I would never need to harvest that many. You can fill the freezer with reds alone. If they close the run or reduce the yearly catch limit mid season like they did this year to protect the run then so be it. I have spent more money on nonsense. This is the first year in the last 8 years of king fishing that I have not even fished for them in the rivers. I caught my one in the ocean. Well worth the ten bucks.