Thread: What should the Charter do?

Default What should the Charter do?

Hey guys I am coming up all next week from Colorado to fish for Halibut and Kings. I have a tripped booked with a charter out of Ninilchick. The king fishing was supposed to be be done on the Kenai or the Kasilof. After putting roughly $3,000 into this trip I found out yesterday (from the Alaska F&G website) about all the new EOs on the Kenai and Kasilof. I called the charter and they had no idea what they were going to do.

I know some of you are outfitters and my question for you guys is what would you expect the charter/guides to do in this situation?

I still plan on making the trip.

THANKS!

I would think it's the same as any business that can't fulfill the contract. They'll need to do something to make you happy.

Schedule something else? Partial refund?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Not a hard choice, really. If you paid for the service, and they can't provide said service, then get your money back. The EO's have been out for a bit now, I'd be more pissed the charter didn't call me to explain the EO's and what kind of options I had.

The guides I know are offering Kenai trout trips, fly outs (for some more money) across the Inlet or refunds.

It will be just a hair early but if you go the refund route, you could book a halibut/silver combo out of Seward and still catch a few salmon, find a boat that is willing to go a ways east of the bay and find the silvers (weather permitting).

Quote Originally Posted by rmcrox View Post
    I know some of you are outfitters and my question for you guys is what would you expect the charter/guides to do in this situation?

I still plan on making the trip.

THANKS!
    I would expect either a refund or an alternate "equivilent value" experience. I suspect they will try to keep you for the day halibut trip out of Homer/Ninilchick. and do trout fishing on the upper kenai the second.

What I would push for would be a two day "combo" trip out of Seward targeting Silvers (bit early but should have a passing shot at silvers starting to school just outside the bay next week) and rockfish the first day, and a Lottery shot at a huge Halibut off Montaque island for the second day.

As mentioned, weather permitting of course...

Have you called back and explained to them your expectations? After reviewing the EO's again it seems your still in the mix for Hatchery Fishing on the Kasilof to include rentention. Being that I have been there and done that in the past I would offer options back to my clients to include refunding their money if in fact the expection factors are not met to moving the trip up to 12 months in order to provide some service if the client chooses that option. Knowing your coming up from CO that is more than likely not going to happen that is moving your trip.

That being said what information if any was listed in your agreement and or their web site that states anything having to do with EO's and changes in conditions. From a guides / business owners perspective there are certain things a business can not assure 1st being the weather, 2nd the water conditions, and 3rd the amount of fish in the system at the time of the trip.

Now on a more business related note if in fact there is information available that you agreed to about the potential that an EO may in fact close a fishery and you put your name to the dotted line said business as long as it was up front and you fully understood by signing a document and putting a deposit down does have the legal right to say sorry. Now mind you that is a very fast way to go out od business and I for one would never do that however as with all things related to sport fishing it can be tricky to wade in and around certain data.

I would call them ask them some specifics and tell them your expectation with such a substantial investment with your time and money one would assume they would be willing to go the extra mile to make sure those goals are met. Nothing says referal like going the extra mile. As an example I juts provided a raft to a gent who had to canx his trip from last year on a rental. He had put his deposit down which in the rental business is non-refundable unless we rent the boat same time frame to a different client. Needless to say we did not have another renter step up and help out so this year he called asked about our policy and we provided a boat at no additional charge and in fact gave him two free days. Was the right thing to do and a good way to keep our customer base happy.

Good Luck!

When they shut down the Little Su I asked if they would like to push it back to try and catch silvers. If not I gave the money back. Once the Deshka went no bait I told them it would be much tougher to catch one and asked them what they wanted to do. Both groups took the money and went looking for a halibut trip. Now no charters for me until late July if and when the silvers show up.

Bill Booth

Let us know what options you end up getting and which one you take.

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    Let us know what options you end up getting and which one you take.

Thanks for every ones input. Knowing what others would expect and do,helps me renegotiate something. I called the Charter again yesterday. The charter office told me that what AF&G does is out of their control and I most likely will have to fish for trout or sockeye, but it will be up to the guide that they pair me with. I was also told that the only other option I have would be to "upgrade" to a halibut trip for the 2 days and pay a $150/person change fee. I am not really satisfied with either option because I catch trophy sized trout and freshwater salmon (Kokanee) almost every weekend here in Colorado. Also their Halibut trips are priced the same as their King trips on their webpage so I am not happy with the change fee given the circumstances.

After going over all of their terms and conditions, there is not any terms that address EOs. If they do let me fish the Kasilof for Hatchery Kings what are the chances of catching one with a single hook on an unbaited lure? I am a fly fisherman however I am taking my 60 year old mother with me on this trip and she is clueless on how to fly fish.

We are giving full refunds on any river trip if the anglers don't want to do trout. I sent my guys out today for halibut, itwas $75 more per person, our half day salmon trips are $175, and full day salmon are $250, Halibut, depending on where they go is $250 to $350. My guys had a half day salmon trip booked and we have them the option of not doing it all together or going on the halibut trip.

It would surprise me if your charter operator was much different on prices, you may want to check if you were on a full or half day salmon trip. FYI, I wouldn't do the kasilof without bait and I would try and do as much salt water fishing as possible

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    We are giving full refunds on any river trip if the anglers don't want to do trout. I sent my guys out today for halibut, itwas $75 more per person, our half day salmon trips are $175, and full day salmon are $250, Halibut, depending on where they go is $250 to $350. My guys had a half day salmon trip booked and we have them the option of not doing it all together or going on the halibut trip.

It would surprise me if your charter operator was much different on prices, you may want to check if you were on a full or half day salmon trip. FYI, I wouldn't do the kasilof without bait and I would try and do as much salt water fishing as possible
    We were going on a full day Salmon trip price is $225/person/day. They have actually advertised their Halibut prices as low as $185/person/day. I kind of wish they would just give me a partial refund and then we could book a Seward trip or a half day halibut out of Homer. Good to know about the Kasilof with out bait....

Quote Originally Posted by rmcrox View Post
    We were going on a full day Salmon trip price is $225/person/day. They have actually advertised their Halibut prices as low as $185/person/day. I kind of wish they would just give me a partial refund and then we could book a Seward trip or a half day halibut out of Homer. Good to know about the Kasilof with out bait....
    Tell them what you want and see what they say. I think they should be willing to work with you, but until you tell them what you are looking for they do not know what to do to make you happy. They may also be hoping for a reopening, if you want to bag it even if it opens tell them that. I offered my clients money back or a trip on another river due to a closure (Little Su). Once they closed the Deshka to bait I all but argued my folks out of a king trip and told them to see me about silvers. For some of us we guide because we like seeing folks catch fish, getting skunked one day let alone day after day gives me some heartburn and guilt.

Whatever you do stay away from the Kasilof. That river with no bait= impossible. Like stated before head to Seward or you could go try for some Sockeyes on the Russian. The run should be peaking within the next week. And furthermore, if the business does not provide the service you paid for, you should get a full refund.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Not a hard choice, really. If you paid for the service, and they can't provide said service, then get your money back. The EO's have been out for a bit now, I'd be more pissed the charter didn't call me to explain the EO's and what kind of options I had.
    Says it all right there. Charter should of been on the phone as soon as this info was out. You should get a refund.

Contact your credit card company. I prepaid for a trip out of Seward a few years back. When we got there, the pilot had a very serious family issue and was out of business.

I called my cc company and they refunded my money.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com