Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tsunami Debris?

Default Tsunami Debris?

We were about 22 miles out from the Spit this afternoon and saw something bright red bobbing along in the water behind us. So we went back to investigate and pulled this in:
    IMG_4200.jpg
    Here's a closer shot of the writing near the bottom:
    IMG_4202.jpg
    (If it's not clear in the picture, that is Japanese text, and all of the writing on it was Japanese!)
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Better look out you're radioactive now!

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Better look out you're radioactive now!
    Oh, I've been radioactive since high school, so it's nothing new to me.

I found several of those on Montigue island the end of April when i was walking the beaches on the South side.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

It says "MADE IN CHINA" in Japanese
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Charterboat Operator

we picked up several buoys last weekend with japanese writing on them. Amazing the amount of light stuff, foam, bottles, garbage that is arriving into the inlet. As Montague has been hit hard, I wonder what the rest of the NGC looks like??

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    we picked up several buoys last weekend with japanese writing on them. Amazing the amount of light stuff, foam, bottles, garbage that is arriving into the inlet. As Montague has been hit hard, I wonder what the rest of the NGC looks like??
    Yeah it seems like every time I'm out there I see a bunch of weird things like bog chunks of foam, etc. and wondered if it was tsunami debris. But this was the first thing I've found that actually had writing on it.

Unfortunately you now owe $350 to the feds for illegal importation of foreign goods! On another note that is a sweet looking gas can! None of our BS safety stuff that makes pouting 5 gallons a 30 minute affair! Is the actual spout inside the can?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Unfortunately you now owe $350 to the feds for illegal importation of foreign goods! On another note that is a sweet looking gas can! None of our BS safety stuff that makes pouting 5 gallons a 30 minute affair! Is the actual spout inside the can?
    LOL! I'm not sure if the spout is still in it or not. We opened one side of it to see if we could figure out what was in it, but that side didn't have a spout. I'll have to check the other side.

Heck I hope to find those, especially if they are full of gas... You should sell it on ebay, probably make big $$.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I spent a weekend in Patton Bay on Montague Island and it's full of trash.....tons of buoys, fuel cans, shoes, and even basketballs and soccerballs. The bummer is that I didn't find a Harley. The good news is that I'm heading out there this weekend and I'll look for it again.

Here's my wife's find from Green Island ~ confirmed produced by a Japanese manufacturing company. It doesn't have Japanese writing [so we will continue our search] but when you Google the company Sanshin-Kako it shows they used to make floats and now make dinnerware.
    Japanese Float.jpg

We found a jug similar to the red one floating around Perry, also some kind of a juice bottle on one of the beaches at Perry. I'm sure we'll be finding a lot more this season.

Quote Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
    We found a jug similar to the red one floating around Perry, also some kind of a juice bottle on one of the beaches at Perry. I'm sure we'll be finding a lot more this season.
    Yeah, I found another one floating around out there the other day. Though I hear gas cans and floats are VERY common these days.

And, yeah, I read something just yesterday saying that we haven't even seem the "worst" of the debris yet.

We need a sticky for Tsunami Debris photos.
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Yeah, I found another one floating around out there the other day. Though I hear gas cans and floats are VERY common these days.

And, yeah, I read something just yesterday saying that we haven't even seem the "worst" of the debris yet.
    We are just seeing the stuff that floats high and moves quickly. What will be coming later is the more dangerous stuff, the heavier, larger items that may be mostly or completely submerged and could do more serious damage if you hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    We are just seeing the stuff that floats high and moves quickly. What will be coming later is the more dangerous stuff, the heavier, larger items that may be mostly or completely submerged and could do more serious damage if you hit it.
    You mean like a house...???!!!....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You mean like a house...???!!!....lol
    That's really not that funny. And I'm not admonishing you for making the statement. It's just really not a laughing matter. There have been whole sections of houses washing up on beaches already. I have a feeling the people that were living in those houses aren't really laughing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    That's really not that funny. And I'm not admonishing you for making the statement. It's just really not a laughing matter. There have been whole sections of houses washing up on beaches already. I have a feeling the people that were living in those houses aren't really laughing about it.
    Sorry no disrespect intended. I have a friend in Japan that I was in constant contact during that time. And indeed it is/was no laughing matter. It just made me think about this photo I saw that totally amazed me.....

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Sorry no disrespect intended. I have a friend in Japan that I was in constant contact during that time. And indeed it is/was no laughing matter. It just made me think about this photo I saw that totally amazed me.....
    Oh, I know. I was trying to say that in writing without making it sound as though you were being "light hearted" about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast