Thread: adding a bilge

Question adding a bilge

I have a regular transom hewes 18' searunner. It currently has 1 bilge pump. I would like to add another bilge pump with a float/manual control.

Do I need to cut another hole and add new drain pipe or can I just Y into the existing bilge line?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

you will need a second overboard, otherwise, you will simply pump the water right back into the bilge through the other pump, unless you run both pumps simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    you will need a second overboard, otherwise, you will simply pump the water right back into the bilge through the other pump, unless you run both pumps simultaneously.
    Or add a one-way valve to each side of the "Y" fitting to prevent backflow to the other pump, there is a risk that the valve will stick when you REALLY need the bilge pumps to save your bacon. The vavles would also reduce rating of stated GPH.

I just broke out a hole saw and put another hole in the boat, I have a 800 GPH and a 2000 GPH pump in the bilge.

I saw the cheap hose kits at wallmart - will they work fine? I didn't see anything at West Marine except the bilges.

I have lots of hole saws - I was worried about loss of GPH - and knew I would need a check valve....cheaper to just put a new line in.