Thread: My Gunsmith Called Me Last Night...

Default My Gunsmith Called Me Last Night...

Yep, 6:15 pm here so 9:15 there. He was going to start working on the bolt and wanted to finalize the work order just to make sure there will be no changes. I promised him I wouldn't be "that customer", to which we had a good laugh.

So here is what it will be:
    700 action (didn't have the dough for a benchrest action), single-point re-machined and the bolt
    Double bushed bolt body
    Sako extractor
    Bush firing pin hole & turn pin
    Double pin recoil lug
    Open lug for larger tenon
    Lap lugs
    Chamber: .300 Ultra using a finish reamer, 0.338" neck and throated for the dummy shells I sent him. I used Berger 210 VLD to mag length with just a little left for room, but checked using 180 grainers that they'd still be able to reach same OAL. Important as when I'm loaded they'll be just touching the lands.
    Thread & Crown
    Satin bead finish barrel & lug
    GTR lite steel firing pin & spring
    GTR S.S. recoil lug, .250
    Kreiger No. 17 contour: 1.250" for five inches then taper to 0.900 at 31" OA. It will be finished at 30" exactly from the face of the receiver.
    Jewell trigger set at 1 pound exactly zero creep, zero over-travel.
    Pillar bedded into my Remmie laminated stock. He pulled the barrel out of the tube to check the fit to the stock while we were on the phone, it will be kind of thin in the forend, but I am just looking for a platform right now.

The cylindrical part of the barrel will be very welcome as I will mount a strain-gage first thing for my Pressure Trace. I have some .300 RUM brass that I'll get rid of since I want to start from scratch with brass just for this rifle. Nosler has an excellent rep for weight consistency, but some have reported pressure and think the brass may be soft. I think I'll try 100 Rem brass and a box of 50 Nosler to compare side-by-side. Weight sorting brass is not high on my fun list. But I intend to have at least 100 cases primed and ready to load once the rifle gets here, which should be late August assuming everything goes well. And it should as I sent all the parts to him so nothing to go missing.

The really expensive part will be the Nightforce scope. Looking at 5.5-22 but undecided as to reticle. I would very much like the ranging reticle because it wouldn't take as much time and hassle as using a rangefinder, which I can use if I DO have the time.

To say I am excited is an understatement.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

WOW, I don't even know what all those things are. I reckon, I'm jist an Amateur Gun Nut.

Whatchew gonna do about the Bolt Handle? I hear tell they sometimes come loose on the Remington 700s. Maybe, you should get a Savage. (Just kiddin.)

I take it, you have experience with the 300 RUM.

I like the long barrel. It helps the fps, too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Ahem, I am not a "nut".

If I did not give the details, it would be certain someone would ask for them, or ask why I hadn't posted them.

Bolt handle will have reinforcing screw(s). When I do this again I'll buy a benchrest repeater action to begin with, but hey, it will still shoot.

Yeah, I like long barrels, nothing wrong with them whatsoever.

Check'em out: http://defiancemachine.com/

Next one I build will be a .338 Allen Mag: http://www.apsrifles.com/Home_Page.html
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Skip the screw in the handle and have it tig welded to the body. Much cleaner, much stronger.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

^^ what Doug said I sent both of my 700's to Dan @ accu tig here in Fairbanks to have the handles welded he offers a lifetime warranty on his work as well I think it ran me 40 bucks per. then when you are done with that send it over to Doug for a KDF brake I did and its alot easier on the shoulder now but alot harder on the ears... Muffs are mandatory forgot about ear protection when I shot my bear a couple weeks back and me and my partner about went deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    ^^ what Doug said I sent both of my 700's to Dan @ accu tig here in Fairbanks to have the handles welded he offers a lifetime warranty on his work as well I think it ran me 40 bucks per. then when you are done with that send it over to Doug for a KDF brake I did and its alot easier on the shoulder now but alot harder on the ears... Muffs are mandatory forgot about ear protection when I shot my bear a couple weeks back and me and my partner about went deaf.
    I appreciate the advice. This beast will weigh around 10-12 pounds ready to make noise so recoil isn't going to be a problem...I think.

I have another stock for it I have been working on slowly over the past few months. It is more a target stock rather than the Remmie that I sent down for pillar bedding. But I really like the way the Remmie stock feels. It just fits me well. I will play with this other laminated stock until I can get it to fit me as well as the original. Maybe.

What's the purpose of this long barreled, gravitationally enhanced, superwhizbag magnum beastie. Is it BR, hunting, wall hanger or just cause you want one?

All of the above!

Being built by arguably one of the ten best accuracy 'smiths in the US, if not the world, if the bullet doesn't hit where I am aiming, it is entirely my fault. As such, I can use it for anything I want.

Man, that is so cool Nitroman, I can't wait to see pictures of this wonderful rifle you are having made and also excited to see how it shoots. WOW!! what a treat indeed, this ought to be really awesome. Happy for you Nitroman!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS