Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Students in AK want to sample game meat

Default Louisiana Students in AK want to sample game meat

Hi. This may seem like a strange request -- but here it goes.

I'm hoping to get some Alaska game meat for a cultural dinner experience for a group of college students I'm bringing to Alaska this July.

There are 21 of us in the group and we're spending our first week at a rental house in Anchorage. We would like to prepare a meal for ourselves where we'd be able to sample some unique Alaskan game meat. I know we can buy salmon and reindeer in stores, but I was hoping for something more interesting. We would not need any large quantities and we're pretty good cooks, so we could figure out what to do with it whether it was grilling it or stewing it or what not.

I know that this is not something that we can "buy," but I'm not looking for a freebie. We'd be happy to trade something for it or such to make it right.

The program is called History on the Move (www.historyonthemove.org)

Hopefully this can happen. Thanks, Bob

Where will you be the rest of the time?Not alot of Alaska culture in Los Anchorage.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Where will you be the rest of the time?Not alot of Alaska culture in Los Anchorage.
    We'll be in Denali for three days, Fairbanks for two days, Glennallen and then McCarthy for 4 nights, down to Valdez, ferry to Whittier and back to Anchorage. Three weeks total. We're using Anchorage as a base to do some other things.

I would contact each towns chamber or city hall outside of Anchorage and I'm sure they will set you up with some local vitals.Don't forget to bring your hot sauce and maybe some gattor to share.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I would contact each towns chamber or city hall outside of Anchorage and I'm sure they will set you up with some local vitals.Don't forget to bring your hot sauce and maybe some gattor to share.
    We could share a bunch of Cajun Boudin sausage. We could bring it up with us. 10 lbs maybe. Boudin is great. Can see what it is here: www.boudinlink.com

Any chance you brought a supply of good ol Cajun food?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yeah. We could definitely trade a bunch of good Cajun food.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Any chance you brought a supply of good ol Cajun food?
    Yes. We could trade some Cajun food. We can do boudin and smoke Cajun sausage. We arrive on July 9.

What are your dates in Fbks and where are you staying?
    If possible, why don't you have a cajun cookout and use this forum to invite members? members could show up with game meat to cook.
    I would attend if not working or would at least make an effort to donate.

LouisianaBob....where ya from?

Get some of those kids to cook up a chicken/sausage/andouille gumbo.....That ought to make a bunch of friends real quick.

Or some grilled boudin...

Or some jambalaya...

Shoot...makin' my ownself hungry..

What are your dates in Fbks and where are you staying?
    If possible, why don't you have a cajun cookout and use this forum to invite members? members could show up with game meat to cook.
    I would attend if not working or would at least make an effort to donate.
    We're in Fairbanks July 21-23, but we're at a hotel downtown so we'll have to eat our meals in a restaurant somewhere in the city. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm not sure we're equipped to host a cook-out, though I'm sure it would be a blast. Really just hoping to get some moose and/or other game to have something interesting. We don't even need enough for a full meal as we could just make it a sample dish.

What other game meats might we get? I'm not a hunter, so I don't know what folks go after in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyeseas View Post
    LouisianaBob....where ya from?

Get some of those kids to cook up a chicken/sausage/andouille gumbo.....That ought to make a bunch of friends real quick.

Or some grilled boudin...

Or some jambalaya...

Shoot...makin' my ownself hungry..
    We'd love to trade boudin for moose and/or other game. We can really only do this when we're in Anchorage cause that is where we have a house and a kitchen at our disposal.

Hey LA Bob....let me know when you're going to be passing through Delta Junction. Visitor center has some interesting displays about the AK Hwy... I can run you out a snack or two. How many in your party?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Do your cookout in Anch. then. Lots of members there and the cajun food will likely draw plenty. I suggest bringing ALOT of cajun food..haha.
    I bet the guys in Anch. can produce caribou, moose, maybe Musk Ox, blacktail deer, salmon, halibut.
    FYI, the official expert AOD cook resides in Fbks.

Make sure to also sample some Alaskan craft beer while you're here. Anchorage and Kenai have some excellent breweries.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

if you can make it to Homer let me know, or if you can get someone to bring you a package.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Do your cookout in Anch. then. Lots of members there and the cajun food will likely draw plenty. I suggest bringing ALOT of cajun food..haha.
    I bet the guys in Anch. can produce caribou, moose, maybe Musk Ox, blacktail deer, salmon, halibut.
    FYI, the official expert AOD cook resides in Fbks.
    Mark me down for a s***load of smoked red salmon and local IPA. Also, salmon burgers. I've got a lot of salmon left over.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Hey LA Bob....let me know when you're going to be passing through Delta Junction. Visitor center has some interesting displays about the AK Hwy... I can run you out a snack or two. How many in your party?
    Thanks for the info. We'll be passing through Delta Junction on July 23. We'll certainly stop at the V.C. to check out the exhibits. It'd be great to meet a local, though that point in the trip we won't really be able to cook any food ourselves.

Quotes from LouisianaBob - "I know that this is not something that we can "buy," but I'm not looking for a freebie. We'd be happy to trade something for it or such to make it right." and "We could definitely trade a bunch of good Cajun food."

Just one caution...in Alaska, "Buying, selling, or bartering of game meat..." is generally prohibited. There are some exceptions (see page 17 of hunting regs : http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...s_complete.pdf ).

I'd be careful offering to "trade" anything for sport-harvested game meat, as it will generally be interpreted as "bartering". I know it's a technicality, but the regs are always "technical".

There are a lot of generous folks up here who will be happy to share their bounty with your students "gratis", and not expect anything in return. Nothing wrong with "sharing" Cajun and Alaskan food, and I'd hate to see an inadvertant and innocent violation ruin an otherwise memorable trip by calling it a "trade".

Welcome in advance to Alaska, and I hope you all have a fun, interesting, and safe trip!

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaBob View Post
    We'd love to trade boudin for moose and/or other game. We can really only do this when we're in Anchorage cause that is where we have a house and a kitchen at our disposal.
    As the many posts suggest, I'm sure you'll find Alaskan's to be quite generous. I'm sure many would love some boudin. Please keep in mind the offers of game meats are likely not trades (aka bartering)... more like gifts to help expand the cultural experiences of your group.

From the hunting regulations:
    Game taken under a hunting license MAY NOT be used for the following purposes:
    (exceptions noted)
    Buying, selling, or bartering of game meat, EXCEPT hares;
    caribou meat may be bartered in Units 22-26, but the bartered
    caribou meat cannot be taken out of these units.

Edit: Lonewolf, I see you posted similarly. Sorry for the repeat of info.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast