Thread: Leaky Window On New Ocean Pro

Default Leaky Window On New Ocean Pro

Last May I bought a new Ocean Pro. Now the port side window is leaking water onto the dash. It's a steady drip, coming from from the bottom of the window seal seam, where the seal meets up.

I contacted Hewes, and there is only a 90 day waranty on this. Rather than take it to a glass shop during the hight of the season, does anyone have any temporary fix suggestions? All I can think about is a little silicone caulking.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Look at the outside of the window for the rubber gasket shrinking at a corner. Use a hair dryer, heat gun on low temperature and force it back into place. As the sun continues its' depredation, you may have to repeat occasionally.

Hewes can't spend 30 minute, fixing a simple problem on a boat that cost $50,000+ that is really sad.

There is a black window sealer tape that you can get at Napa. You could take a little piece of that and plug the seam if the seam is to wide.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I had the same problem on my front windows of my 26' Hewes. Water from spray/rain built up and came in around the seal. A little clear silicone caulking fixed me right up. Now I need to do the back windows that leak when I pressure wash after a trip.

Make sure the area is good and clean and dry before applying, or you may be reapplying sooner than otherwise necessary.

Chris

I would have said silicone too, until I tried clear Lexel in a shower.....adheres even to wet surfaces, much more flexible and durable through a wide range of temperatures than silicon products. A few bucks more. Even if Hewes would fix it, why let it sit in a shop while you do without....

My 22' sea runner leaks on both front windows since the day I got it. On the 3rd season now.. Still leaks and is very annoying

I had the entire front windows leak on my 26' PC but Dewey's had the windows repaired for me. The real fix is to pull the window out and reinstall it and while doing so they will reseal with silicon. Sorry I wish I had better news; the easiest is as stated before. Get some good silicone and apply on the outside of the seal. There may be some spray on silicon now that you can get too.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Where can I find Lexel? Is this a marine product, or something I can pick up at the hardware store?

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    I would have said silicone too, until I tried clear Lexel in a shower.....adheres even to wet surfaces, much more flexible and durable through a wide range of temperatures than silicon products. A few bucks more. Even if Hewes would fix it, why let it sit in a shop while you do without....

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll something like silicone first, and go from there. What bugs me is it's a brand new boat...and expensive, for it to leak already!

The guy from Hewes said that is due to all the temperature changes we get up here due to the sun and cold--thereby affecting the seals. I told him I'm from Juneau, but apparantly he doesn't know that we don't get sun here. Sun is a foreign concept here...

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?s...lerid=21200627

Google is your friend! Don't know if it's available locally. I'd like to try it if my silicone gives up the ghost.

the side sliders are 9in an aluminum frame check thr weep holes on thr outside for blockage first,you may also try enlargeing the holes.If you find no problem in the weep holes the next step is to unscrew the frame and remove the window.clean all sealeant from frame and boat.then take 2 in wide painters tape and mask the window opening,dry fit the window back into hole,with a sharp razor blade trim around window frame.Now remove window agian and peel away tape where frame will contact boat leave the rest for now you will be glad later.Using either Life Caulk or Life Seal apply a generous amount around the frame install the window,screw down tight.Now youcan clean the outside as there should be plenty squeezed out iif you have applied enough sealant when bedding the frame,clean up can be made much less troublesome and messy if yuo let the sealant mostly cure trim around the frame agian then peel off the tape that has contained the overflow.
    The proceedure for the windows mounted in the rubber gasket is a bit more complicated as you need to know how toremove the gasket and glass,pluss is much more messy as there are three places where sealant needs to be applied.
    I personally have repaire many Hewes windows,including some of the previous posters.When I worked for a Hewes dealer I gave the factory detailed prceedures including step by step pictorial,but they objected to using a are razor blade and the amount of time required.

that would be a no go for me on a new hewes boat if the factory is that cost conscious on fixing something simple like that when it is clearly their fault for cutting corners. i would insist on a long warranty for the windows but would rather think about someother boat as what other things they might be cutting corners on.

but any glass shot should make quick work of fixing them while you are at a long lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    Where can I find Lexel? Is this a marine product, or something I can pick up at the hardware store?
    Sorry to take so long to reply...working on the garden so I can come up to AK! Anyway, I got Lexel in the Ace hardware store right next to the DAP and all the other bathroom seal stuff...haven't seen it in the big tubes you use with a calk gun. It's about $6 I think for a tube you squeeze, easily enough to do two windows and more. PM me if you can't find it and want some...