Thread: The Gulkana River Report June 19th

Default The Gulkana River Report June 19th

This will be a quick one guys as I am super busy and don't have lots of extra time. We have lots of groups on the river so lets get started.

Lets start with the up river conditions and fishing:

We have had 2 groups do the Paxon to Sourdough run and the first pulled off last night. The water clarity is good from Paxon down to the West Fork. The West fork is spewing out all of the mud that is causing the lower section to be dirty. Everything above the West fork is in good shape. The guys who pulled out last night reported that the water level was high coming through the canyon but very runnable. The Picked Fence and Rock Garden is in good shape and lots of good water to maneuver through all of the obstacles and the falls is an easy line and recovery. Fishing The guys hammered the Lakers in lower Paxon and Rainbows from the Canyon down. The Rainbows were gorged on smolts and they did well on both small meps and wet fly s. I should have some pics in a few days from the early groups.

Lower River:

I ran the Poplar Grove to bridge section on sunday as well as having some groups doing the Sailors Pit to Bridge section. The water was crazy high on Saturday and Sunday. It was so high on Saturday that you could not pull your truck down on to the beach trail below the campground because of water. Yesterday day we saw the water recede almost 2 feet and many of the gravel bars are now showing themselves for the first time this summer. Only a few sweepers to worry about but the flow is fast and you need to be heads up as you come up upon them fast.

Fishing: Kings fishing has been slow and most of that is due to the amount of water in the river. We are seeing flush being landed but there is was so much water for the Kings to swim that the normal holes were not producing.

I am expecting to see the river much lower in the next 2-3 days and getting clearer as it drops. I talked with a pilot who flew the West Fork and the snow pack at the headwaters of the West fork is still causing lots of fast and muddy flow. We may not see the lower Gulkana clear up to normal levels fro a bit.

There you have it!

I have to go get some gear ready for some up river groups!

Tight Lines!

Walt
    907-259-4290

Nice report Walt! Thanks. My family and I will be up there tomorrow morning. So it sounds pretty good.

Improving!

Stop by and say hi! Mile 127.5 of the Rich!

Great report Walt thanks as always for your insight and updates. My guys were impressed with the water and the fishing as well. Nice to have people out enjoying the splended weather.

C Ya in Late July.

Will be floating from Sourdough to the bridge 21-23 June in 2 rafts with 5 sportsmen/newbies. A day on the Gulkana is a gift from the Gods, whoever they are.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

MKay,
    Hope to see you on the river, say hi when you pass by below sailors. We will be there the same dates, green levitator, with Weimaraner on the tubes or watching the shrore line for fish.

My friend are heading down for the weekend. He's using a fly rod and was wondering if he should bring his drift boat? I imagine it's not drift boat friendly but never went from sailors pit to the bridge. If not possible would paying the cash and working our way to the mouth be our best bet?

Seen quite a few driftboats on the water in the past. Remember, the bridge to the mouth is flyfishing (unless the regs changed).
    Will be riding 2 blue AIRE rafts.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

We will both be fly fishing im just curious about the safest/best chance to get on a fish.

It is not "So Called" drift boat friendly at normal water levels lots of "so called rocks" however if the water is still up and you pay attention you can fish a drift boat effectively. Couple years back someone was using one just about everday however he was finding all kinds of new ways to dent it in certain sections of the river. If your traveling to the mouth you will have to find a way down the Cooper to take your drift boat out not to mention water levels on the Cooper so not a great idea IMO if in fact the water levels are high on the Cooper or Low from Sailors Pit to the bridge.

my 28 cents worth.

Best wishes

RMM
    BMR

Thanks guys. I was skeptical of the drift boat from the start. I think maybe just walking down from the bridge is what I'll explore. I havnt replied much to the forums but have constantly paid attention to and always appreciated that.

Whsts the float time frOm sourdough to poplar?

It is about 24 miles from Sourdough to the bridge and Poplar Grove to the bridge is less than 6 hours. Keep in mind that the water is much faster than in normal years so that time can be cut down also keep in mind that getting a raft back up from the river to the trail head at Poplar Grove will suck big time! I drop off groups at Poplar Grove many times a week and I always help them get the rafts down to the river-Uggg! The idea of hauling a raft up that hill is a big no in my book.

If you're fishing the section from SD to the Rich it can be done in 2 days and one overnight.

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    It is about 24 miles from Sourdough to the bridge and Poplar Grove to the bridge is less than 6 hours. Keep in mind that the water is much faster than in normal years so that time can be cut down also keep in mind that getting a raft back up from the river to the trail head at Poplar Grove will suck big time! I drop off groups at Poplar Grove many times a week and I always help them get the rafts down to the river-Uggg! The idea of hauling a raft up that hill is a big no in my book.

If you're fishing the section from SD to the Rich it can be done in 2 days and one overnight.

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290
    Thanks. I've done the Poplar to the Bridge float many times, but haven't done Sourdough to the Bridge in quite a long time so I'm trying to make sure my memory is accurate.....How long does it normally take to float from Sourdough to Poplar? That will help me gauge how long it will take to get down to where I'd like to camp for our overnight. I've hauled my raft down poplar too many times to think about hauling it UP poplar.

Be there before you know it man. I nomrally push a 8-10 hour day and camp two bend above the RV Park. Then finish up to the Bridge on the 2nd day. That being said IMO normal water levels again Pop is about just under 1/2 to the place I camp. Lots has to do with high water / low water and our friend the wind. I have made the enitre tirp in one day during high water and a tail wind. Also the one thing to factor in is how much fishing you plan on doing.

Just food for throught.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Be there before you know it man. I nomrally push a 8-10 hour day and camp two bend above the RV Park. Then finish up to the Bridge on the 2nd day. That being said IMO normal water levels again Pop is about just under 1/2 to the place I camp. Lots has to do with high water / low water and our friend the wind. I have made the enitre tirp in one day during high water and a tail wind. Also the one thing to factor in is how much fishing you plan on doing.

Just food for throught.
    OK, that's what I basically recalled, just wanted to verify. I think we like to camp at the same bend.