Thread: Win 94 Carbine forearm band screw re-installation

Default Win 94 Carbine forearm band screw re-installation

I recently removed the forearm band screw from a late 30s era 94 carbine. The rifle was picking up some rust at the end of the foreatm where it fits into in the forearm socket of the receiver. The gun appeared to be untouched since leaving the factory; I suspect the rust was from the sweat of hands carrying it for years.

I removed the band srew and slit the forearm forward on the barrel and cleaned out the rust and crud from the receiver and end of the forearm. The problem arose when I tried to re-install the screw - I couldn't get it to align up with the treaded hole in the band. My guess is that the gun was assembled when the forearm was new and dry and over the years the forearm had adsorbed moisture and expanded. Since the screw is relatively long and thin it had just deformed or bent to adjust for the expanding forearm.

So the question is - how do I get the screw back in the gun with the least amount of effort and/or changes to the gun?

Anyone have any experience with this problem that can give me some help?

THANKS!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Go to Home Depot and buy a set of small taps and dies. Clean both the male and female threads. The die will surely straighten out the screw, and both pieces should fit properly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, BUT: years ago I found out that gunsmithing threads were usually a couple threads per inch more than normal american standard thread Example; take 1/4x20 n.c.would be perhaps 1/4x22 on firearms or 1/x28 n.f.a.s. would be 1/4x30 on firearms. I mean this only as a "heads up" before you might "adjust" the existing threads. I doubt if you will be able to buy gun smithing taps and dies at home depot!

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCabe View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, BUT: years ago I found out that gunsmithing threads were usually a couple threads per inch more than normal american standard thread Example; take 1/4x20 n.c.would be perhaps 1/4x22 on firearms or 1/x28 n.f.a.s. would be 1/4x30 on firearms. I mean this only as a "heads up" before you might "adjust" the existing threads. I doubt if you will be able to buy gun smithing taps and dies at home depot!
    Threads on guns could be about anything, there is no standard as you describe that I know of but you are correct that Home Depot wont have it . . . I believe this would be a .108X56 pitch and as close as they might get (if they go this small at Home Depot) is #5 X 40 or 44 and that ain't gonna do the trick here.

If its a bent screw holding things up use soft jaws in a vice and maybe some leather to bend it back without boggering the threads. If the holes in the wood are off carefully ream them slightly by hand with a small round file so they line back up. Wood moves all the time and they are always a booger to get started back in becouse there is no taper end to help get going, whatever ya do don't force it and cross thread it!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The diameter and pitch on the forend band screw is .108x56 tpi. That exists only on a Winchester 94. It would be a "special" tap and die. Usually what I will do is make sure I've got the screw started on the correct, right side. Seat the forend with a wooden block, all the way back against the receiver, just a couple light taps should do. Same with the band. Lightly taper the thread end of the screw for the first couple threads to help it "find" the hole. Also make sure the groove in the tube and barrel are lined up. Looking through the hole, it should be a straight shot without any interference. Push the screw throught the hole and see if it lines up on the other side visually. If it does, screw it down just until the end is flush with the band.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The diameter and pitch on the forend band screw is .108x56 tpi. That exists only on a Winchester 94. It would be a "special" tap and die. Usually what I will do is make sure I've got the screw started on the correct, right side. Seat the forend with a wooden block, all the way back against the receiver, just a couple light taps should do. Same with the band. Lightly taper the thread end of the screw for the first couple threads to help it "find" the hole. Also make sure the groove in the tube and barrel are lined up. Looking through the hole, it should be a straight shot without any interference. Push the screw throught the hole and see if it lines up on the other side visually. If it does, screw it down just until the end is flush with the band.
    Yup but I prefer to round the hole from the back side with a small stone on my flex shaft so the screw still fits flush as Winchester first fitted it myself though. Then make sure the thing starts easy through the band and into the threads before putting the band on the gun and starting that part of the fight.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona