Thread: 325WSM R/H Rifle Project Plans

Default 325WSM R/H Rifle Project Plans

Description Of New Rifle Project

Caliber: 325 WSM
    Action: R/H MRC 1999 BSRM, 415 SS, Bolt face .534”, Mag Box Length 3.125”
    Trigger: adjusted to 3lb trigger pull
    Barrel: MRC 24" #4 Contour, Recessed Target Crown, 1-10” Twist
    Stock: McMillan Super Grade fiberglass, molded in dark camouflage color, pillar bedded with SS inserts and floated, Pachmayr Decelerator Pad,
    LOP: 13.75"

MRC just received my action so the new rifle project is underway. When MRC is finished with the barreling job I will have them forward the barreled action to McMillan Fiberglass Stocks to do the stock installation work. Will post some pics when it is complete. Thankyou AlleninAlaska for the action, should be a nice rifle when it is finished.
    Willard

Nice rifle but it is gonna be pretty heavy when it is finished! I would guess over 8 pounds with no scope. You will really like the Montana action and McMillan stock
    Tennessee

Default Rifle Weight considerations

Snowolfe,
    The L/H 325WSM with McMillan Stock that was recently finished, mounted with bases, rings and a scope weighted approx: 8.5 lbs. Now I am wondering if I should have MRC install a #3 contour barrel on the action instead of a #4. Looking at MRC's barrel spec information, the Med. Sporter #4, 28" long, weighs 4.0, while the Reg. Sporter #3, 26" long, weighs 3.25.
    Since MRC just today received my action I will change the work order and go with the #3 contour 24" long barrel.
    When I had the first one built I was thinking that a little heavier rifle would help with recoil management, but a 1/2lb or so lighter may not make that much of a difference in felt recoil, what do you think? Anyone else want to contribute, please do.
    Willard

Default Edge

You may want to look at the McMillan EDGE stock. It weighs a lot less, is stiffer than most other stocks, and looks good also. If you are going to have a rifle that heavy, why the short mag?

Default Weights based on tech sheets

Just emailed Dan Wynne@MRC and requested a work order change, going with the #3 contour. Also checked the MRC website and the tech sheet stated the BSRM action weights 40 ozs (2.50 lbs). The McMillan Fiberglass Stock catalog specified that their hunting stocks ranged between 2.0 and 2.25 lb. Now I am waitng for MRC to get back to me with exact weights for their #3 and #4 contour barrels. I am estimating that the #3 24" barrel weighs 3.0 lbs.
    So this rifle w/#3 contour barrel and short action stock will very likely weigh 7.5 lbs unscoped. Ya think?

Default Edge 21-23 ozs

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    You may want to look at the McMillan EDGE stock. It weighs a lot less, is stiffer than most other stocks, and looks good also. If you are going to have a rifle that heavy, why the short mag?
    Just checked the McMillan Edge stock, it weighs 21-23 ozs depending on action cutout, compared to the short action Fiberglass stock @ 32ozs. I would save approximately 9 ozs, that is if the Edge short action stock weighed 23ozs. If I went with the Edge the rifle would weigh 6.93 lbs., that may just be an option I would consider. I wonder how my 18 year old son would handle the recoil, since I am having the rifle built for him.

With my earlier decisions for barrel contour and stock selection I was basing my decisions on info I read on this website.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_weight.htm
    I was trying to reduce felt recoil, since my son weights 160lbs or so. But considering the weight of the rifle it may become a task to carry in the field for long periods of time. Lighter would definitely be better.
    Last edited by WDChurchJr; 04-12-2007 at 23:47.

My A-Bolt weighs 6.6 pounds unscoped.I put Talley Lieightweights which weigh 2 oz and Leupold "Ultralight" 3-9x33 which weighs 8 oz,so total weight is a little over 7 lbs. I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on because the Browning ones are hard as a rock. So far the recoil has been VERY manageable,I compare it too a 300 Win Mag shooting 180 gr bullets in a 8+ lbs rifle. I do not see a problem with the weight being in the 7 lbs range for your son. I would rather carry a light rifle and put up with a little recoil than carry around a 9 lbs rifle and want to through it down the mountain. Get a scope with good eye relief and he should be fine. Besides,when hunting the adrenaline takes over and you dont notice the recoil anyways. Good luck and great choice in caliber,I am very pleased with mine so far.

Default Barrel weights

Just received confirmation from MRC that the #3, 24" MRC Rifle barrel weighs approx: 3 lbs and the #4, 24" is a 1/2 lb heavier.

Default EDGE recoil pad and painted finish ?

Anyone familiar with or had experience with the recoil pad on the McMillan Hunters Edge Ultralight stock? I have read that the stock was designed with a 1/2" Pachmyr Decelerator recoil pad. Personally I think I would go with the 1" Pachmyr. (Wonder if they would swap it out).
    Also read that the stock can be custom painted, I have never had a painted stock before so I am wondering how durable the painted finish would be. Anyone have any information on their paint durability? Thanks

I think the #3 contour is a better choice. When you order the Edge stock you can specifiy a 1 in pad over the standard 1/2 but then you gain a little more weight.
    Everything is a trade off.
    If you are planning on using the rifle this fall you may be disappointed. McMillan runs about a 6 month wait time for a stock, maybe longer if they are bedding it. I ordered an Edge stock for my "somewhat" lightweight 300 WSM leftie I am putting together on a Win 70 in Nov and it still is not here yet.
    The custom painting on there stocks seems to hold up very well. I have nothing but good things to say about McMillan. Last stock I purchased from them went on a MRC LH 458 Lott and the inletting was perfect.
    There is a gentleman over at the 24 hour campground forum (http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php) named Rick Bin who orders these stocks and at a better price than McMillan. He also does custom painting. Tell him Snowwolfe sent ya!
    Tennessee

Default Edge

I have a .300 WSM built on a Stiller Predator action with the McMillan EDGE stock. The paint is very durable and looks great. I have dinged it up quite a bit but the paint stays on. I think their are only a few paint options unless you want to have it custom painted. The stock absorbs recoil very well and I think the 1/2 inch pad is plenty, but since all stocks are built to order, you could probably ask for a 1". Lead time on the stocks is rediculous though. Another option you may want to consider is having a blended in muzzle break installed. It adds very few ounces and reduces felt recoil a lot. I wouldn't get too light with the .325 though. My .300 weights 6 lbs 11 oz with the scope installed, and doesn't kick too bad but muzzle jump is a little much. With a 40 oz. action you don't have to worry about getting too light though. My preference would be:

McMillan EDGE stock
    23" #3 Contour Barrel w/blended muzzle break
    Talley Lightweight Rings

Default Camo patterns for Edge stock?

blackfoot,
    Sounds like a good combination. I have a little experience with using a muzzlebreak, have one on my Weatherby Mark V SS 340 Weatherby Magnum. It really helps to cut down on the recoil, but the muzzle blast is a little loud.
    Haven't heard of a Stiller Predator action before, where can I read up on them?
    I am seriously considering the Edge stock with the 1" Pachmyr. I will need to find out if camo patterns are available, I think that is what my son would prefer. Thanks for your input to my post.
    Willard

Default Stiller

http://www.viperactions.com

He is one of the best benchrest action builders, and has now come out with a line of custom hunting actions. I got one of the prototype batch actions, and one of only 5 short mag in that batch.

Default 23" vs 24" barrel

I am trying to decide whether I should go with the 23" or 24" barrel on this project.
    Would be nice to find on-line ballistic tables that compare velocity, energy, and the path of the bullet between these two barrel lengths with various loads. Any ideas?

Default Not Much Difference

You won't see much real world difference. You may see a 50 fps difference in velocity, or you might see less. It depends on the ammo you are shooting. If you are handloading, it will depend on the powder, bullet weight, etc. I would pick the barrel length based on your preferences alone, and not consider ballistics. I chose a 23" for mine because I wanted to save every ounce for sheep hunting. One thing I would recommend is to make sure they use a match grade/minimum SAMMI spec. reamer for your chamber.

General rule is the shorter (stiffer) the barrel the more accurate it will be. But most likely a loss in velocity. Everything is a trade off.
    Tennessee

Default 24" barrel

I figured the ballistic difference between the 23" vs the 24" would be within the 50 fps - 75 fps range, not very significent. So I would concur with you that it would be a personal preference. Thanks

Default Trigger and Barrel work completed

MRC just emailed me today that my son's MRC action has a new 325 WSM barrel installed and the trigger has been adjusted to 3lbs. To personalize the rifle they engraved his name on the barrel, I am very pleased. The rifle will be forwarded to McMillan, hopefully by tomorrow. I decided to go with the original idea for the stock (Winchester Supergrade), I am partial to molded in camo and a thicker recoil pad, also decided that a stock with 13.50" LOP will be more appropriate for his physique. I am sure my son will appreciate my decisions for these changes once he starts shooting his new rifle.
    Knowing from experience that it may take some time for the stock work to be completed I don't expect the rifle back for about 5 months. So the next time you hear about my son's rifle may be in September.
    Appreciated all the input that you folks provided for my consideration toward this rifle project. It was interesting as well as informative. Thankyou