Thread: Small rattling in SW500: normal?

Default Small rattling in SW500: normal?

I have not done any live firing tests ...

Without any ammo loaded and cylinder locked, I noticed that when I tilted and rotated my wrist, I am hearing a small amount of rattling of metal parts inside the revolver.
    Do yours behave the same or have the shipping knocked out some things?
    Is it safe to fire it?
    Just wanted to be extra careful with this thing since the discharge pressure is similar to my 308 rifle but packaged into a revolver.

Some times you can hear the hammer block move around
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Not quite sure what you are hearing but mine empty does not make any noise just lifting and moving it around. If I give a little shake there is some tinkle sound but that is normal for most revolvers which have been shot much.

Gaurantee it's the hammer block. When in the uncocked position it falls to rest with no tension.

If your capable pull the grips and watch it actuate as you cock/decock the hammer.

One screw in the base of the grip, and then the one piece grip pulls off the bottom of the grip frame. Likely to be kinda stiff if it has never been fired, goes back on pretty easy.

Default Hammer block

The hammer block is the normal "loose piece". You could probably get a gunsmith to bend it slightly to remove the clearance and rattle and still work properly.

Unlike the transfer bar the hammer block is not under any tension or timing- it is simply moves out of the way when you cock the hammer. While the hammer block may rattle it has the advantage over the transfer bar in that the hammer block is in position long before the trigger is pulled and thus doesn't affect the trigger pull. With the transfer bar the bar is still moving as you are pulling the trigger so it adds extra effort and is detremental to the crispness of release.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Gaurantee it's the hammer block. When in the uncocked position it falls to rest with no tension.

If your capable pull the grips and watch it actuate as you cock/decock the hammer.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Hmm, and I always heard that the rattle was actually air molecules being crushed by the extremely tight tolerances of the almighty Smith and Wesson revolver...

In the old days we just threw the hammer block away when doing action jobs.Cranks probably won't do it now days.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Alright, I guess it's the hammer block, then.
    When I shake my Ruger SP101, it seems to have the same type of sound. I'm feeling better now.

Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    Alright, I guess it's the hammer block, then.
    When I shake my Ruger SP101, it seems to have the same type of sound. I'm feeling better now.

Just be careful. The warning about not spinning the cylinder and slamming it shut on the S&W500 unlike your SP101 isn't actually to protect the firearm from damage. Rather it is to protect everyone within a 30 mile radius from the very real possibility of an atom being smashed between the cylinder and frame, thus setting off a nuclear explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Just be careful. The warning about not spinning the cylinder and slamming it shut on the S&W500 unlike your SP101 isn't actually to protect the firearm from damage. Rather it is to protect everyone within a 30 mile radius from the very real possibility of an atom being smashed between the cylinder and frame, thus setting off a nuclear explosion.

Thanks. If you look South, South-East and see a mushroom cloud, you know it was me taking the whole of Seattle with me.

Default contained..

Of course a much much stronger Ruger would simply contain the explosion so there would be damage unless the barrel were to fly off

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Really it is poor practice to spin up the cylinder and slam it shut on any revolver. That 1 pound cylinder will come up hard on the cylinder lock and locking notch and beat the heck out of them on any brand of revolver. If I catch anyone doing that to one of my guns, they would be ejected from the house. Poor gun handling habit. And yes, the hammer block tends to float in the slot in the sideplate of a S&W revolver.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

LuJon, do you own a S&W 500?
    Steve

No, I can't afford a fine piece of forged perfection like that so I make due with my old Ruger Redhawk 44mag. Good news is it was built back when the 44 was still big enough to use for bear defense so I am safe. It also weighs less than my rifle which is kind of handy.

Default Amazing...

When I came up back in '81 the .357 and .44 Mag (if you could find one) were considered bear medicine. In 2012 dollars a S&W Mdl 29 went for $800 or more. I ended up with a '56 or '57 vintage Ruger Blackhawk; if I recall correctly I got it from GNGs - I'll have to check my receipts.. I've still got it but with today's much harder to kill bears I really need my .500 S&W. Of course I'd carry something else but I can't find anything bigger in a DA.

No, I can't afford a fine piece of forged perfection like that so I make due with my old Ruger Redhawk 44mag. Good news is it was built back when the 44 was still big enough to use for bear defense so I am safe. It also weighs less than my rifle which is kind of handy.