Thread: Another trip to Alaksa :)

Default Another trip to Alaksa :)

We are making another trip to Alaska, however this time we are coming a little later in the year, and are bringing the wives. Seems they got tired of hearing about Alaska and decided they wanted to see it.

We'll be leaving Anchorage, headed to Resurrection Creek, August 24th. Was thinking Bird Creek is along the way and seems it has a Silver Run that time of year (I think).

It is our first trip on an even year and was hoping there will still be some pinks in Resurrection Creek.
    Going to White Water Raft, 6 mile, then head for the Sterling Soldotna Area. Depending on the weather we'll a DIY Drift on Swan Creek for two day, then Fly into the Upper Russian and hike out over 3 days.
    Theh we are headed out and around to Homer. Was thinking of hitting Anchor Creek for Silvers, tide is moderate for clams, then pitching bait of the end of the Spit.

We'll finish up by kayaking the bay, then headed back to the airport.

Was just looking for some quidance on something we may be driving past and maybe some fly recommendations. We usually fish Mid July and strip streamers or drift eggs patterns. It's a little later and was wondering if we should be looking at something else, maybe flesh patterns.

Have never fished Silvers, so that is a whole new beast......any thoughts would be appreciated.

Man, sounds like a great time. Two weeks? Having been here before will serve you well - nothing like being in the woods to give a little insight about things like mosquitos or isolation. Did you use The Milepost as a reference last trip? That's handy too.

August: sounds perfect for silvers and they are fun to catch. Plenty of people, including my family, enjoy combo charter trips in August which combine halibut and cohos.

Pinks: In late August-Sept pinks might be declining on Resurrection Creek, but prob still there. Of course anything can happen, but that run peaks in early August I believe.

Hiking with families: a 3-day hike down the Russian River sounds beautiful. The points Id consider worth particular attention are being physically prepared, gear-prepared and critter-awareness prepared. Three-days back into the woods here is a long way to carry someone, or hike with anyone who is not having a good time. But no doubt you are all prepared for this.

Silvers like flashy flies and pink. Many patterns for cohos use two contrasting colors. I use purple, pink and metallic flash in flies for silvers. These two old threads have many good tips on flies for these fish:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...es-for-silvers
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...es-for-Silvers

I like to try the streamer, egg and flesh patterns too anywhere in late season. Some days though, egg patterns produce much more. If your wives are less experienced with fly fishing, spin gear will outproduce fly gear and so may be more rewarding for them just a suggestion. The more fun they have, the more likely you will get to return!
    Have a great trip.

Thank you, not only for some great information on flies, but also your concerns about our trip. One thing I have really tried to make sure everybody understands is that we have to be prepared, not only for what we have planned, but for what we have to change.

This is my third trip to the area, and the first two were fantastic. This will most likely be our last trip out of the Anchorage area. I think we will start looking north. Would really like to see north of Anchorage, or Kodiak Island.

I used the Milepost on the first two and am using it this time as well......just looking for any additional input from the locals.

Thanks again.

2PP once you decide to travel North give me a shout would love to assit and maybe take you and your party out for a Mich day . Last year my cousin from Port Hope came up and I flew him out to Kodiak for a weekend he loved it. Still talks about his turn and burn and the people he met out on the Big Island i.e. Kodiak. Either way enjoy your trip and have a safe and wonderful adventure.

RMM
    BMR

Oh dude, the wives... you are about to make a huge mistake

I used to be "a wife" that had never been to AK. I got so tired of hearing my husband talk about it, I had to tell him finally to just stop already..and quit with the Alaksa TV shows. Then he made me go.

Fast forward the 8-track to track 4: we have made several trips to AKpast 3 years and now have a cabin in southcentral AK. Bought a river boat, growing my hair out, etc. Likely to move to AK.

Be careful, you might end up wth a cabin and your hair grown out

In the meantime, I second taking the wives down the Russian River Trail. It was a nice first hike for me (middle-aged fatty then, now just middle aged).

Default Chance favors the prepared...

2Paws - Rereading your itinerary - you guys are going to have a fine time! Congrats on all the research/planning.

That's a good offer from Moose. He's spent a lot of time on area streams. He knows stuff.
    Maybe others will chime in, but I think you're right on about Bird Creek and rafting Six Mile I hear is hairy and a blast.
    You'll do fine with the fly patterns planned. I agree with you about flesh ptrns - my favorite setup in the Fall is a bead attractor ahead of flesh pattern, or leech. On clear days, there are some cool downstream views on certain sections of the Anchor so if you end up there, keep a camera handy. Watch for river otters, which will sometimes cut-up across the way. I wish you and your group excellent stream conditions and great weather.

This site and it's members have been greatly responsible for the success of our trips to Alaska and I really appreciate the help we get. If we change locations on our trips in the future I will definately touch base with those in the know, such as BlueMoose.

With the news of the River Otters, we are even more anxious to hit Anchor Creek. We enjoy the fishing, but it really is just an excuse to go to Alaska and spend time along the streams. We have been very lucky and have seen Seals, Grizzly Bears, Black Bear, Moose, Eagles, Sheep, adding a River Otter would be great.

etdvm, I would say your husband is a lucky man.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post

etdvm, I would say your husband is a lucky man.
    I like to think so!

Make sure to feed the wives on a regular basis, we tend to get *****y when not eating and doing a lot of activity, especially with the time difference.
    Fly fishing makes me herl