Thread: unknown attractions to ride to.

Default unknown attractions to ride to.

i was wondering if anyone knows of any places to hike or ride to on a quad that not a lot of people go to. im looking for something you wont see everyday. i want to ride out and spend a day exploring alaska but dont want to do the same trails everyone uses daily. are there abandoned mines or anything like that around ft. richardson that my wife and i could ride to? any help would greatly be appreciated. i want to surprise her with a weekend camping trip when i get back from afghanistan.

If you want trails that arent traveled by a lot of people you are better going farther away from town. For example- the Denali Highway has hundreds of random trails that you could spend time exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    If you want trails that arent traveled by a lot of people you are better going farther away from town. For example- the Denali Highway has hundreds of random trails that you could spend time exploring.
    That is probably the best chance at getting what you are after, especially if it is before the hunting season kicks off. Be prepared for BUGS !

If you don't mind the steep uphill trail, B-29 offers an adventure to see the wreck of a WWII era bomber. Just north of Wasilla.

I also here the Penguin Creek spur trail of the Bird Creek trail system is pretty vacant of people at this time...wonder why. Ha

If you want to go back and see some cool this nearly every trail system had its perks. Sutton has eska falls, eureka has miles of endless trails with some pretty cool views, kings river is challenging and offers great views as well. Heck I've been out to link where once I passed Jim Creek I didn't see another soul back there till I came back.

Rich -- do you have more specific details on where the trail head is for B-29. I rode there a few times years ago and went back last year and couldn't remember where to park and where the trail head was at. It was all dirt roads last time I was there and nothing was built up. Thanks --

Here is a link to the trail head info for B-29:
    http://alaskaatvclub.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=35.0

You may have to register on the club site to get to it.

Head North from Captain Cook State Beach. Some cool geology, unique views of Anchorage, wildlife, etc.
    Remember to mind your tides.
    Thanks for your service.

thanks for all your help. the downed bomber is definitely peaking my interest. im looking to ride out to an abandoned mine shaft or some other things of that nature. ill be home in september!! if anyone has been out riding and seen something that is worth riding to let me know i am always up for an adventure. thanks again for all your support to the troops here.

i just joined the alaska atv club forum. it has lots of great information and they do a lot of club rides. i cant wait to get back from the sandbox and truely enjoy alaska on four wheels.