Thread: storing raw egg skeins for bait...

Default storing raw egg skeins for bait...

I'm going to be fishing the Kvichak for red salmon and this year I would like to keep the eggs to use for bait. I was thinking about vacuum sealing them, but am not sure. Could they be frozen uncured, then thawed and cured to use? I was also thinking about putting the skeins in glass jars and freezing them. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks.

Freezing raw eggs will not work, they turn into goo. I would take some cure with you and fix them up before freezing.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2

Hmmmph. Must vary with the species or more likely the thawing method. We don't bother with sockeye eggs, but with silvers, pinks and kings we just put them in ziplocs and squeeze out the air before freezing. Since I date and label the bags with a Sharpie, it's pretty easy to keep track. We've thawed them as much as 5 years later and still made fine bait.

For thawing we leave them in the refer for a couple of days, or if in a hurry drop the ziplocs in room temp water or colder. Warm water or nuking would likely produce goo, but not a slow thaw.

If you're really worried about problems, cure them first, then freeze. They keep well that way too. I've never bothered with vacuum sealing, but it won't hurt anything if you do, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Freezing raw eggs will not work, they turn into goo. I would take some cure with you and fix them up before freezing.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    Listen to this guy.

Bring cure(s) of choice. Simple task that takes less than 5 minutes (for most good retail cures) to ensure the eggs will keep and fish well for years.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I always heard you couldn't freeze raw salmon eggs and then cure them later so I never tried. Last summer some relatives of mine put a gallon ziploc of red eggs in my freezer and didn't tell me until a week or so later. I took them out and put them in the sink for a few hours, then threw them in some cure, they came out just fine.

If you don't want to take that chance, I know a guide who takes a 5 gallon bucket and a few pounds of pro-cure to a remote fishing site. Throughout the season he adds eggs and some cure to the bucket when get gets them. Takes them out as he needs them, never drains it until the end of the season. Never even refridgerates them. Freezes whatever is left at the end of the season. This option might work for you? Perhaps in a gallon size container?

Bring cure mix with. Freezing raw eggs is a waste of your time.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Bring cure mix with. Freezing raw eggs is a waste of your time.
    That makes me wonder if folks are washing their eggs before freezing them. We don't. Just put them in ziplocs and squeeze out the air.

To put a point on it, I know several canneries that freeze whole skeins in summer, then thaw them all winter to produce caviar for export to high-end markets. They simply couldn't do that if the goo stories were based on first-hand experience.

Try freezing a couple of skeins this year and thaw them slowly in water or the refer next spring. You'll be surprised and pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That makes me wonder if folks are washing their eggs before freezing them. We don't. Just put them in ziplocs and squeeze out the air.

To put a point on it, I know several canneries that freeze whole skeins in summer, then thaw them all winter to produce caviar for export to high-end markets. They simply couldn't do that if the goo stories were based on first-hand experience.

Try freezing a couple of skeins this year and thaw them slowly in water or the refer next spring. You'll be surprised and pleased.
    I agree, appears to be folklore handed down generation to generation. I'm definately a convert to freeze now, cure when i'm bored. Perhaps different species of eggs respond differently but it sure works on red eggs.