Thread: some unsolicited advice....check your six.

Wink some unsolicited advice....check your six.

Took the wife out for a wheeler ride to take some pics and glass for critters.

We were stopped and had been glassing for a few minutes and found a caribou feeding about a mile away across a drainage. After a few minutes I spotted a wolf several hundred yards from the caribou and watched it while Christy prepped the camera for some "through the spotter" shots. The wolf disappeared in the brush and didn't emerge. After a few minutes Christy decided to give a good long, lonely wolf howl to see if it would stick it's head up for a photo session.

30 seconds or so later our Lab let out his alert bark and charged 10 yards behind us and started growling really aggressively. We spun around and started looking and saw a fairly large boar grizzly at 100 yards and closing in pretty determinedly. Of course we went pretty well bat(&*% and I yanked the .375 from the rifle scabbard.

Apparently we weren't what the bear expected to see making a wolf howl and he stopped and started pacing pretty aggressively trying to wind us...we were pretty much directly downwind of the bear so that wasn't working for him. Just as I got the rifle up I got to see his butt vanishing into the brush across the trail. 100yds on a leaving bear with an iron sighted rifle was just too far. When we went to the area of trail the bear crossed we easily found tracks....7" across the front pads. Pretty decent bear. Dark chocolate with a silver tipped hump. I had the rifle and she had the camera and we were both telling each other to shoot...neither of us did....dang.

Word to the wise though...probably pays to check your six. Dog won his promotion to "Head of Trail Security" and a pork chop. Pretty happy he was along and responded to the bear exactly like I wanted him to. Thinking he smelled the bear since we were strongly down wind. If he hadn't been along we'd have probably not seen the bear until he was way closer...maybe way too close since we were both pretty well engrossed in the spotter and camera and looking 180 degrees the wrong direction.

Pretty eventful evening...a bou, a wolf and a bear....all in 60 seconds. Man, I love this place.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Dang, Scary stuff! Glad you made it out, and good advice for folks selecting a spot to glass or just to rest, make sure nothing can sneak up on you, especially from upwind!
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    Dang, Scary stuff! Glad you made it out, and good advice for folks selecting a spot to glass or just to rest, make sure nothing can sneak up on you, especially from upwind!
    And don't be surprised to find a bear has circled to get upwind, either . . .

mans best friend
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Sounds like a nice day out enjoying Alaska and one great dog!

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    mans best friend
    I have to wonder how many lives they have saved over the eons.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Could've been a close call for sure....but dogs can also attract trouble as well. Been there, done that.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

good to hear all went well. could of turned sour quickly with out your faithful buddy there. had a friend last year on a hunt have a grizz come in on there 6 and his budy couldn't get his rifle out of his scabbord quick enough. friend shot and dlp'd it at 8 ft from the back of the wheeler. good to see your both save

How much for the Dog?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    How much for the Dog?
    Dogs like that are priceless! So are great memories- glad all went well.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good Story, hodgeman:

I'll remember your advice, for sure. I have a tendency to daydream. You just mighta saved my life, though, and I hope that doesn't weigh too heavily on your conscience.

I went on a leetle scouting trip myself this spring.

I was walkin along on a little strip of land between two lakes and was surprised by 3 Otters. They went into the beegest lake and snorted at me, and continued to do so.

As I would move down the lakeshore, which I hadta do, because of the other lake, they followed along, from the water. 3 heads would pop up outta the water, and then the snorts, or clicks. I dunno how to describe the sound.

I didn't perceive them as a threat, so didn't wave my thutty-thutty at'em. They would come nearly out of the water when they crossed shallow spots, and I got a good look at'em.

I didn't have my camera, and they wouldn't have shown up too well, anyway. They were fun to watch, and BEEG. I've seen otters before, but these, looked like they were as beeg as a Beagle Dawg, not counting the tails, which were bout as long as they were.

And there, you have it.
    Another exciting episode in
    my Life of Low Adventure.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    How much for the Dog?
    Sorry....he's here to stay. Wife has kinda hated him but tolerated him for my sake until this episode. Now dog is getting additional treats and petting he isn't used to... she's really warmed up to him.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Sorry....he's here to stay. Wife has kinda hated him but tolerated him for my sake until this episode. Now dog is getting additional treats and petting he isn't used to... she's really warmed up to him.
    Ha...!!! just like a woman......all ya gotta do is save their ass from a grizzly and THEN they'll love ya forever.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Cool Post Hodgeman, that's one great story of a few Good minutes in the Country,...

Sometimes, I wish I had a Dog,...othertimes, I'm glad I don't
    but that story,...just makes for a "Good Dog,..." afternoon
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I would sell my Girlfriend before I would sell my dog..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2