Thread: some fish other than salmon..

Default some fish other than salmon..

anyone been fishing for something other than salmon. i know there is some pike fisherman, rainbows, grayling, whatever. throw up some pics!!! I know salmon fishing nut to butt with the person next to you is the thing in alaska but there are so many other great fish up here. Don't get me wrong salmon "fishing" (flossing,snagging usually) is fun but give those salmon a break a try some of the others. best of luck all.
    summer 2013 007.jpgsummer 2012 022.jpg

Well....actually rafted the Kenai this last weekend in search of sockeyes but came prepared for rainbows as well. We didn't see any sockeye in the water at all. Actually, we seen one that was all beat up but that was it, no salmon. We seen a few jumpers but nothing worth staying in one spot for hours for a few fish. Went for rainbows instead and caught some nice ones. Here are a few.

Nice fish cjustinm
    IMG_3497.jpgIMG_3513.jpg

nice bows' i wish we had some up here..

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    anyone been fishing for something other than salmon. i know there is some pike fisherman, rainbows, grayling, whatever. throw up some pics!!! I know salmon fishing nut to butt with the person next to you is the thing in alaska but there are so many other great fish up here. Don't get me wrong salmon "fishing" (flossing,snagging usually) is fun but give those salmon a break a try some of the others. best of luck all.
    summer 2013 007.jpgsummer 2012 022.jpg
    Nice! Take me take me! Lol! Some of the locals swear they catch some bows in the noatak, I tell them I need to see it to believe it.

Same day as nooks fish...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340491458.974557.jpg

Same day as nooks fish...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340491458.974557.jpg[/QUOTE]

Man, you need LONGER arms.

very nice rainbow bigcox. i'd be pretty skeptical about rainbows in the noatak although everyone up here calls dollies "trout" so if you say you're catching rainbow trout i think there might be some miscommunication going on. I've never heard of a rainbow being caught up here maybe strangerinastrangeland would know. occasionally a king or red shows up in the noatak. heard some crazy stories i think on the kobuk of a killer whale once (might be some homebrew involved in that one) a walrus swam up there a few years ago. you just never know i guess. i can't imagine how rainbows would have gotten up here. i think when they had the hatchery on the noatak it was just salmon?? anyways great pics guys.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    very nice rainbow bigcox. i'd be pretty skeptical about rainbows in the noatak although everyone up here calls dollies "trout" so if you say you're catching rainbow trout i think there might be some miscommunication going on. I've never heard of a rainbow being caught up here maybe strangerinastrangeland would know. occasionally a king or red shows up in the noatak. heard some crazy stories i think on the kobuk of a killer whale once (might be some homebrew involved in that one) a walrus swam up there a few years ago. you just never know i guess. i can't imagine how rainbows would have gotten up here. i think when they had the hatchery on the noatak it was just salmon?? anyways great pics guys.
    I'm definitely still skeptical. I'm also definitely aware that everyone calls dollies up here trout, she swore they were rainbows that they were catching in nets. I still need to see proof.

On another note, saw tons of dollies and sheefish jumping over by Crowley yesterday, they were being harassed by some seals so they weren't biting much. I'm definitely bringing my rod up for the next hitch.

Fish On!