Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still marveling over the design of the savage 99

Default Still marveling over the design of the savage 99

I know it's been well over a hundred years since the introduction of the Savage 99, but I can't help but make observations in awe of it's design. I can see how William Ruger was amazed with it too, prompting him to take design cues from the 99 and incorporate them into his own designs.

1. When I disassemble a 99, I can't help but marvel at how 5 308 sized cartridges fit so conveniently in that genius rotary magazine. It almost seems impossible when you observe that slim, rounded shape.

2. The receiver fits perfectly and balances perfectly in the hand with that rounded shape. It's almost as if it was made for comfortable carry at it's balance point.

3. The simplicity of the design allows for a very easy take down of the gun for cleaning.

4. The short throw lever has to be the fastest rifle you could ever manually cycle

5. The trigger is simple, and easy to remove for fixing creep, breaking at a crisp 2.5-2.75 lbs.

6. The gun is both trim, and relatively light.

I remember at the sportsman show, the Savage company was displaying their new "Alaskan" models. I told them to bring back the Savage 99, they make enough bolt action models. The only response I got, was a couple of shallow smirks off their young baby faces.

Manufacturing costs for the original rotary mag would probably be more than they spend on a complete new rifle....
    I'ld like to have a "new" 99 but don't think I could afford it.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

An all time cool gun. I believe Bill Ruger developed an automatic 99 in his earlier years.

We just took in a 99 in .358, I finally had to toss it up on GB just to keep all the greedy little hands off of it. Mega-cool rifle

Had the .308 in the 99..... argh.. the only gun I ever sold. (many years ago when I was in my 20's and dumb about rifles and what I had) Still regret it to this day. Loved the rotary magazine and great balance of that rifle.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    We just took in a 99 in .358, I finally had to toss it up on GB just to keep all the greedy little hands off of it. Mega-cool rifle
    You guys will make a profit off that for sure. If my money didn't have to go in so many directions, I'd be the first to offer you every bit of the asking price for it.

Denali,

It's never too late to fix what yah sold off.....look around the 99's are still out there.

Wonder if Savage looked at the 30-40 Krag and said we can do that better.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Wonder if Savage looked at the 30-40 Krag and said we can do that better.
    That's a fact. Two of the coolest, most well built, "Rube Goldberg" rifles made!

Did a test, racked an empty brass that fit my BLR, into the tighter chamber of the Savage. Almost felt like the chamber was about the force of resizing a brass case in a sizer die. The extractor in combination with the very nature of that leveraging lever.....worked. I forgot to add the extractor to the list.......IT WILL EXTRACT A STUCK CASE.

Brilliant design, awesome rifle the 99 and for the life of me even though it would cost a lot (which some of us would pay just to have one) I cannot fathom their insistence on not manufacturing the 99 again. Somethings really frustrate me and this is one of those things indeed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I'm lucky enough to own two 99's. One in 250-3000, and the other in .300savage. Excellent rifles that were handed down to me from my grandpa.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I know it's been well over a hundred years since the introduction of the Savage 99, but I can't help but make observations in awe of it's design. I can see how William Ruger was amazed with it too, prompting him to take design cues from the 99 and incorporate them into his own designs.

1. When I disassemble a 99, I can't help but marvel at how 5 308 sized cartridges fit so conveniently in that genius rotary magazine. It almost seems impossible when you observe that slim, rounded shape.

2. The receiver fits perfectly and balances perfectly in the hand with that rounded shape. It's almost as if it was made for comfortable carry at it's balance point.

3. The simplicity of the design allows for a very easy take down of the gun for cleaning.

4. The short throw lever has to be the fastest rifle you could ever manually cycle

5. The trigger is simple, and easy to remove for fixing creep, breaking at a crisp 2.5-2.75 lbs.

6. The gun is both trim, and relatively light.

I remember at the sportsman show, the Savage company was displaying their new "Alaskan" models. I told them to bring back the Savage 99, they make enough bolt action models. The only response I got, was a couple of shallow smirks off their young baby faces.
    And don't forget the great Ballard rifling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post

If I didn't already have my own, I'd be on the phone or on the plane to Anchorage with that announcement. Mega-cool doesn't come close. In the "last rifle to part with" game, my 99 in 358 is most certainly the last I'd let go.

I'll add the scarce versions in 284 Winchester to the mega-cool list. It's a clip magazine rather than rotary, but no matter. Having that flat round in the 99 makes it a serious contender for best-all around gun for me. It's quick up close but accurate enough to justify that flat trajectory and scope. In fact it's the only one of my six 99's (358, 308, 300, 284, 250, 22) that wears a scope.

For pure fun, it's hard to beat the 250. I say that "I" own one, but the first time my wife shot it, she took it over and hasn't let go. She can go 10 straight and come close to 20-straight offhand at 75 yards on 16-ounce plastic drink bottles full of water. Just about as fast as she can cycle the action. With peep sights. Try it yourself sometime with any gun, scope or open. I've never seen any gun fit any person better than that one fits her. I've always wanted to put a scope on it to see what it will really do, but she threatens mayhem every time I mention doing anything to that rifle.

If they made it again I figure they would build the much cheaper tang safety model and sale would be a problem after the first rush.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    ...and sale would be a problem after the first rush.
    That's the problem with any re-releases I've seen. Sad, but there it is.

Lotta guys think the view is best in their rearview mirror, getting all nostalgic for what's behind them. Put the opportunity in front of them, and they'll drive around it and keep their money in their wallet. If Winchester retooled for the original model 70 in all regards, I bet it wouldn't last a year. Guys would whine about costs and still pine away for the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's the problem with any re-releases I've seen. Sad, but there it is.

Lotta guys think the view is best in their rearview mirror, getting all nostalgic for what's behind them. Put the opportunity in front of them, and they'll drive around it and keep their money in their wallet.
    I would not keep my money in my wallet, I would buy , in fact trying to get my brother to sell me his 358Win Savage 99, but as I, he will not sell it. Yes, I would buy one as soon as they hit the show room floor. And if there was not enough in my wallet I would immediately go to the bank and borrow the money needed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I would not keep my money in my wallet, I would buy , in fact trying to get my brother to sell me his 358Win Savage 99, but as I, he will not sell it. Yes, I would buy one as soon as they hit the show room floor. And if there was not enough in my wallet I would immediately go to the bank and borrow the money needed.
    We certainly agree on the value of a 99 in this great caliber.

I did some figuring and back-checking. No wonder the original Model 70 died on the vine. The last year it was available, a new one would have cost me 3 months wages. Yeah, I wasn't making much then, but still.... How many guys today can go out and dump 3 months wages on a new gun?

Not many, but I would be willing to pay the bank on a monthly bases for a while just to own one. I let a 300 Savage go when I was young and that is all the excuse I can offer (that I was young and stupid), but I did mean every word, I would go to the bank. What a treat that would be to own a 358Win in a Savage Model 99 WOW!!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

there was a member of this forum who had a 358-284 carbine made up. I don't know if that rifle had 5 round capacity.......but holy smokes what a gun! It probably topped the "cool list" of the most coolest rifles I've ever seen.

Great rifle. I always liked the open sights on the 99's from the 40s and 50s vintages. They were much better than the sights on the Winchesters in my opinion. When scopes got popular, a weaver 4x with a post worked well. My dad's side of family used the model 99s exclusively... from the 1920s thru present.

I would buy a new one today if they were restarted (although it would probably cost a lot as others have suggested)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast