Thread: Lightning strikes on open water ??

Default Lightning strikes on open water ??

Are any of you folks concerned about lightning when you're out on the open water, such as the middle of PWS? If so what do you do to deal with it?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salm View Post
    Are any of you folks concerned about lightning when you're out on the open water, such as the middle of PWS? If so what do you do to deal with it?
    Absolutely I'm concerned with lightning strikes while on the water. I deal with it by not being on the water during lightning events. Folks can call me a "fair weather fisherman" if they want, but I'm out there to have a good time, so I do my very best to limit my "OH CRAP!" moments.

I would be concerned. If possible, I'd head toward and island/land so that I'm not the highest point in the water in the area. Or maybe find someone with a taller boat and hang out near (but not too near) them

I have been in one really bad t-storm in NE Montana - whoever isn't concerned has never been in one.

I think that it is less of a concern up here because we don't have very many lightning storms.

If you get in one - duck and hide.