Thread: Clear Creek Question

Default Clear Creek Question

I had planned on fishing Clear Creek the last weekend of June for kings. With all the closures / EOs, is it legal to catch and release during that weekend? With low number of kings, would it even be worth the price of a charter to go out there?

read this then make your own determination about if it is worth it or not

I'm still thinking about going out to Clear Creek for some catch and release. Has anyone fished up there?

Had a buddy go up there yesterday. He said it was BLOWN OUT! They stayed for 10 minutes and left. I would wait for a few days at least.

My plan was to go next weekend. Hopefully the water will come down and there'll be some fish up there. If anyone goes up this weekend, let me know what it's like up there...

Cora Campbell, Commissioner
    DIVISION OF SPORT FISH
    Charles O. Swanton, Director
    Contact: Sam Ivey, Area Management BiologistPalmer (907) 746-6300
    June 22, 2012
    For Immediate Release
    Susitna River Drainage Closes to Sport Fishing for King Salmon onMonday, June 25
    Susitna River drainage king salmon anglers are advised that, in an effort to meet minimumescapement numbers, king salmon sport fisheries within the Susitna River drainage will beclosed effective 6:00 a.m., Monday, June 25 through July 13. The closure prohibits sportfishing for king salmon, including catch-and-release fishing. King salmon may not be retainedor possessed; king salmon caught while fishing for other species may not be removed from thewater and must be released immediately.Anglers are reminded that:
    Bait will remain prohibited on the Deshka River and only one, single-hook, artificiallure will be allowed in waters normally open to king salmon fishing through July 13.
    The Susitna River drainage remains open to fishing for finfish species other than kingsalmon. King salmon may not be targeted and those caught while fishing for other speciesmay not be removed from the water and must be released immediately.King salmon stocks to Cook Inlet and throughout Alaska are experiencing a period of lowproductivity and low run strength. All indices of abundance suggest king salmon run-strengthin the Susitna River is comparable with poor run strength trends experienced by other kingsalmon stocks in lower Cook Inlet and the Kenai Peninsula. To date, Deshka River weircounts combined with angler reports and staff surveys indicate a weaker than anticipated run ofking salmon to the Deshka River. Angler and guide reports on other tributaries of the SusitnaRiver combined with recent staff surveys also indicate weak return of king salmon to theseareas. As of June 21, only 6,852 fish had passed the Deshka River weir and the totalescapement is projected to be approximately 11,350 fish. The sustainable escapement goal forking salmon in the Deshka River is 13,000 to 28,000 fish. Any additional mortality associatedwith harvest or catch-and-release cannot be justified at this time and all fish entering the lowerDeshka River and the rest of the Susitna drainage must be conserved if escapement goals are tobe attained.For more information, contact Sam Ivey at (907) 746-6300.
    END
    NEWSRELE
    A
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Default First time

First time I've seen a thread closed this definitively! LOL
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I guess I won't be fishing Clear Creek....

They won't make escapment but they are going to let people kill fish this weekend, hmmm.....

I thought I read it started at midnight tonight....maybe that was wishful thinking