Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 ? Leave it at home ??

Question 357 ? Leave it at home ??

Will a 357mag be of any use for bear protection ? I carry this at home for personal use.I will be fishing around your great state in july.In the past years i have carried a 44 but i thought i might let my wife pack the 357.Bad idea ?
    thanks

You know what? There might be a lot of handgun nay sayers on this forum, but if it is all you have I would definately carry it. If you have a more wide variety of choices to choose from I would pick something with a lil more punch.

I wouldn't choice a 357 no. As with any hand gun you have to put in the time on the range to be proficient with it! otherwise it wont do you much good. In most cases a rifle or a 12ga with slugs is a better choice. Get some hard cast heavy bullets, 300gr loaded on the hot side,for your 44 and as long as you've done the practice you should be just fine. Check out the old forums there are probably more posts on this subject than an other. By the way as long as your smart and don't break the bear country rules I wouldn't worry too much about the bruins I've been fishing and hunting here in Alaska well away from crowds for years and have yet to fire my side arm in defence. But better safe than sorry.

Just one Alaskans point of veiw

Rick P

Default Bears...& Pistol...

would equal the double barreled shotgun you see Mad Max carrying around & then maybe you may have enough... :P

Default .357 use in Alaska

No, it isn't the best, but is better than nothing when the chips are down. I would not be armed with less than a .44 myself, and I carry a .454 WHEN I AM PACKING A HANDGUN. Other times, such as when hunting in bear country, I will be carrying a .338 or larger if I am alone.

If you Do decide to go afield with it, make danged sure you know this weapon inside out, and only use good, stiff, premium solid bullets. Cheap or hollowpoints will just get you hurt.

If you are carrying a .44 and your wife has a .357, you have 2 weapons at your disposal, which is a good thing. As stated though, a .357 is not the best choice, and in the wrong hands can cause more problems than it takes care of in the woods.

The most important question is, can you outrun your wife???????
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Hawken LOL

I agree with the first post. I think bigger is better but a 357 has to be better than nothing.

if it's 357 or nothing, then go 357. also, if you check ballistics, buffalo bore's 180gr load comes out strong than most 44mag 240gr loads. look at their website. i personally think a lot of the sidearm selection is a personal choice.

Mark

I've got a S&W 629 in 4". Had it for years. I used to carry it around. Not anymore. I got tired of it getting tangled up in camp chairs, brush, or beating me about the chest and waist in a shoulder or bandolier holster. Heck, I may as well just keep a rifle slung up.

I carry a Ruger SP101, 2.5" now.

It's light, small, and I don't even need a holster. I slip it into my waistband (it has a custom made tab like a Barami Hip-Grip) or in my pocket. But it is always in reach.

That said, I always have a rifle, too, but the rifle is usually in the vehicle, on the ORV, in a scabbard, etc.

It all depends on how good a shot you are!

Default better than running

alaska backpacker makes a 200 gr hc load thats pretty **** stout. i have a taurus 8shot 357 loaded with those for backup...... but i also carry a 460S&W for 1st defense....ok you got me the 357 is really for me. i dont like to suffer. just the same 8 well placed shots should do the trick of detering anything from trying to eat you.

Default Bigger is better

Bigger is better and hotter is better. Biggest question: Can she shoot? If so, 357 is much better than a fly rod. I would prefer anything from 44 Mag up as long as I can handle it under pressure. This is when I would be wetting my pants.

Default Good Advice

Frist let me say YES i can out run my wife.The 357 is kind of a backup.There might be time when we are not real close together so that was why i was asking the question.The 357 is a ruger sp101 3 ' she has shot hundreds of rounds throught it and is a good shot .So a heavy cast ? bullet- the bigger the better ?? .

Thanks
    David

The 357 Mag is a very potent hard-punching round when compared to your other options.....sharp sticks, good rocks (you know the ones that feel like an extension of your hand), new lightweight running boots, or the personal gouge to the bears eyes (that always gets them).

O.K. I'm being a smartass. The 357 Mag is good medicine when you don't have any other medicine... call it the Robitussen of the Alaska Bush.

Seriously though. Go with HARD cast bullets... not "Heavy" cast bullets. There is a big difference in terms of penetration vs. deformation.

And file of the front sight....

What????

You all were thinking it.........
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Wink It"s Been Done Already!

Don't discount the power of a 357. Before the 44, 454, there was the 357. The loads used by it's maker D. wesson were hot 158 grain cast bullets. He hunted all over the US and shot all types of big game, moose, grizzly, it took only one shot by the way,and some of these were at long ranges for a handgun! You can read the story in Hodgdons reloading manual 2004. As pointed out handgun power has been going up, but hard cast bullets, 180"'s loaded hot, B bore, fed. cast core, should serve you well. I used to work with a rail road cop, and he claimed to have shot through, into a freight box car with his 4 inch 357, and his own hard cast handloads! Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default go heavy and hard

.357 is better than a spear or pepper spray.

Use heavy 180 grainers if possible and hardcast to boot.

After you file off the front sight and grease it (ask akndres why..lol) write your name on 1 bullet and put it in your outside breast pocket.

Seriously, take it along....it's better than nothing.

jedi

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by david4615 View Post
    Frist let me say YES i can out run my wife.....
    Yeah, okay.

The proof is in the running...........

....The 357 is kind of a backup...
    No kidding?

A handgun is "kind of a backup"...........

.......There might be time when we are not real close together so that was why i was asking the question.The 357 is a ruger sp101 3 ' she has shot hundreds of rounds throught it and is a good shot.......
    She'll be fine.

She has a weapon, she can shoot it, etc.

.....So a heavy cast ? bullet- the bigger the better ??...........
    It won't matter. If she's confident, she'll be fine.

Go with a solid slug. Let her fire few rounds.

She'll be fine.

Default I carry one, so I'll justify my existence.

I've carry a 357 taurus 7 shot (they make 8's?) anyhoo, folks told me seven shots, that's a good thing. When I fire the first six to no avail and quite firing and accept my fate of being a bear stool, I at least will have on left to finish myself off with.

But, I shoot the heck out of it, love it and swing it with ease....much better than a sharp stick...and light enough not to be a huge encumbrance, plus there's the confidence factor (walkin tall etc.) I shoot 200 grain hard cast CORBONNs (sp?) nobody's mentioned these yet. They are kinda long so make sure they fit in your cylinder without messin with the cycle before you use them under pressure. The report and recoil of these is pretty sharp...haven't run any ballistics checks, but seem to shoot like the midrange 44's I've shot.

I took a whitetail with it at 40 yards and dropped it hard. Obviously these are different animals....but it's no pushover of a defense weapon.

Default you all got me nervous

All I have is a .357, I hunt archery during baiting and last year I had 8 grizzlies come to my stand and only seen one black bear. One time I was about 30 yards face to face with a grizz when I went into my bait station. All I had was an arrow knocked in one hand and a loaded .357 in the other nervous as hell. I guess my @$$ would have been ate, luckily the bear turned and went the other way while I scrambled to get up into my treestand, I thought I would be fine with a .357 guess not. Not sure what I will do this year. So If anyone is interested I have two for sale. LOL..

Default Yes i CAN SHOOT

I can outshoot most men and grew up with a gun in one hand and a fishing pole in the other. As I grew up I found another use for the fishing pole hand....haha...Anyway, out run me if you can....

The Wife

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast