Thread: K-Bay Orcas

Default K-Bay Orcas

This isn't actually a "fishing" thread, but just thought I'd share for those that might like it. We saw a bunch (a dozen or so maybe) of orcas yesterday while we were fishing for halibut out west of the compass rose, and then again closer in, and I got these pictures.

This guy was just cruising around a couple of hundred yards from us:
    IMG_4183.jpg

And this one actually swam right under my boat and surfaced about 20 ft. from us. We didn't even see it coming and I just happened to have my camera pointed at the right spot at the right time:
    IMG_4184.jpg
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Great pics! What an awesome sight to see.

Man those are one thing I'm not looking forward to seeing while I'm in my kayak

Very cool, thanks for sharing Muttley!

Charterboat Operator

no wonder i could not find any kings yesterday!!!
    Saturday was pretty spectacular, with us spotting a minke, a couple of breaching humpbacks, and a pod of dahls.
    nice pics Dave!

Those are nice shots, Mutley. Orcas ARE pretty curious. It isn't unusual for one to peel off from the rest of the pod to check out an anchored boat down here in our area. When they get really curious they will "spy-hop" - rear their heads straight up out of the water to get a better look at you. I haven't had a camera handy for those opportunities yet.

Cool pics. Hard to get good shots of those orca.

Awesome pics. What's that to the left of the orca in the first pic? a very nervous seal?

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    It isn't unusual for one to peel off from the rest of the pod to check out an anchored boat down here in our area.
    Actually we had been running at the time and we spotted the orca off to our port side maybe 100 yard out or so and heading kind of toward us, so I just immediately cut my motors and drifted. I'm not sure if it knew we were there or not and it just happened to surface right next to us.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlingsurfer View Post
    Awesome pics. What's that to the left of the orca in the first pic? a very nervous seal?
    LOL! I'm not sure what that is. I didn't even see that it was there until I downloaded the pic to my computer and looked a little more carefully at it. I THINK it might be a sea otter. Guess the orca didn't realize that it missed a little furry snack there!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Man those are one thing I'm not looking forward to seeing while I'm in my kayak
    I had a BIG bull come steaming at us on the surface from the side and at the last second go under us. We were in a klepper double. good thing they like us.