Thread: aluminum corrosion

Question aluminum corrosion

My aluminum jetboat gets a lot of corrosion. i use it in saltwater mostly. I have 2 disk type zincs attached. One on the jet unit and one on the transom. I always get a lot of corrosion on my alternator and around my stainless steel bolts. Not sure of a solution for this. anybody have a take on this?

Default Dissimilar metals

One quick note is that SS & Aluminum donít mix well and there will be corrosion when they are placed together. The corrosion is caused by
    dissimilar metals in contact with each other causing electrolysis and over time they will turn to dust, the aluminum that is. I see this happen the most when salt spray is added to the mix. Corrosion block can be helpful and is safe to spray on electrical parts, Make sure that what you get states that on the can. I use it all the time at work spraying electrical parts and aluminum boxes exposed to salt spray. I would also clean and check your battery terminals for tightness and connections at your alternator, also a nice clean battery is the way to go. Maybe someone has some insight as to anode placement. Hope that helps

William

Default yup

yea thats how it goes just gotta stay on top of it and keep things claen. Biggest problem is after winter storage.

There is a type of meter available(don't know what its called) that you hook up to the boat and it tells you how much zinc you need & if you have stray currents running thru the hull to cause corrosion. A good friend had a aluminum lobster boat and it was a great help to him.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default if your battery system is grounded to

your boat somewhere that could be causing your problem. I have a lot of stainless on my aluminum boat don't have any zinks on the boat, just the outboards. i might a small one like from the outboard to the boat transducer plate that is not being used. when i bought my accessories some of them had the connections that would touch the alluminum. i made plate for them out of heavy plastic to keep them from causing any trouble. you don't want any negative wires grounded to your boat. check your buss bars and see how they are connected. not an expert or anything but that is how i rigged my boat.

Default didnt know that

ill check on that one thx