Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to keep 10 yr old interested in fishing

Default Trying to keep 10 yr old interested in fishing

Hi Folks, ummm yeah, so I have a 10 yr old son who comes up every summer from Florida to stay with me, and he WAS interested in fishing, but he (we) never seem to do very well. He's only caught one fish in 4 summers, and that was on a guided float trip on the Kenai two summers ago. He's to the point now that he just doesn't want to do it anymore.

I've reached out to family and friends, some of whom are hard core Alaskan outdoorsmen, but no one wants to take us along on their fishing trips, no one knows where to take a 10 yr old and have a reasonable chance of success, or, worse yet, the inlaws brought us and their 3 boys out to Campbell Lake today, gave the kids $2 garage sale junk rods with bare hooks and no bait and sent them off to fish alongside the 15 dogs jumping in and out of the lake and 20 swimmers. I hope they meant well, but that was a set-up for failure. They flat refuse to actually go fishing with us (i.e dipnet, salmon fishing on the Kenai, or even lake fishing.)

So I'm reaching out here for advice. I know fishermen are tight lipped about their sport, so I'll understand if I don't get much response.

I need to learn where I can take my boy and with what gear and have a good chance of success. In fact, I kind of feel like I need a slam dunk chance of success. I think anymore failed fishing trips and he'll just give up altogether. Success breeds self confidence, but failure teaches low self-esteem.

I have a couple of med action 6' spinning rods (bass rods from down south) that I set up for trout. Bought some mepps and vibrax spinners. Fishing up here is waaaay different than back home. I've got a 15' canoe to lake fish from.

I'm going to go out to one of the box stores this week and buy a salmon rod, probably an ugly stick or something similar, but I don't really know how to set up or what to use for lures, other than a pixie.

I'd like to take him down to the Kenai Peninsula as I hear that one can limit out in half an hour down there, but I don't really know the area that well as to what's open to fish, where to park, where to access what rivers, etc. I think I could borrow a dipnet from a friend, but, same story, lack of local knowledge is holding me up.

I'm just kind of fed up with being dependent on others or seeing my kid set up to fail.

Thanks for any help, even if it's just a link to some other thread/article.

Cant miss is a trip to tangle lakes for grayling. The whole family always has fun and always catches alot of fish. The only downside is that is quite a drive to get there. Good luck with your son.

My suggestion is to make the fishing a part of a bigger adventure. Take your simple trout rods and an assortment of little spinners and some bait if it is legal then head up to Tangle Lakes off the Paxon side of the Denali highway. Take food and the stuff to cook what you catch and just go explore. Don't forget binoculars to look for grizzlies, moose and caribou. At 10 odds are the kid will have more fun doing that than trying to combat fish for salmon. Tangle lakes is a dream destination for your canoe.

http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/ar...anglelakes.htm

Two things.... Tangle Lakes for grayling and trout is a good suggestion.

and Allison Point for pinks and the odd silver. My 10yo hated fishing with a rod and reel until our Allison Point adventure last year. A stout rod and some pixies are all you need....bring a landing net. Fish high tide and it's as close to a sure thing as there is fishing short of the kid's fishing tank at the sports shows.

Valdez/ Keystone Canyon scenery is pretty over the top and throw in the usual bear sighting and he's got a pretty good story.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have a son the same age. He is very interested in fishing. However to get him started I set him up for success. I took him to stocked lakes (Kepler Bradley). Then is was off to fish for Pinks and Chums. Tons of fish in the water. Even if he messes up a cast it could still produce a fish. Don't pressure him if he wants to sit and watch or sleep on the river bank while you fish. My son went through a phase he wanted to go to the river and play not fish. I let him. He came around and loves to fish and now loves to fly fish. I started him at clear water streams like Montana Creek. Now we fish everything from Parks Hwy to the Peninsula. Hang in there he will come around.

If you do come down to the Kenai, check out the AK Atlas & Gazetteer. It shows a number of stocked lakes and the fishing can be really good.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If you do come down to the Kenai, check out the AK Atlas & Gazetteer. It shows a number of stocked lakes and the fishing can be really good.
    Is that the Delorme map book??

I'm going to run Tangle Lakes by my girlfriend and try to do that in the next couple weeks.

Buffalo lake along the Glenn, a canoe, and a dry fly rod with mosquitoes is a sure bet for high success. Would be rainbows there.

Lots of lakes between Palmer and the tangles with good fishing, stop wherever the weather is good on the way.

I second Valdez once the pinks are in for salmon inauguration. Kids love it.

Rule no 1 is don't pressure the kid to like fishing. and I guess rule no 2 should be don't set him up for failure. Grayling is probably your best bet in Alaska for catching.. They'll bite on just about anything shinny, or moving, or that looks like a bug, or power bait.
    Go to ADF&G web site and you can get a list of all the lakes that they stock, and what they stock in them. I know they stock Grayling and rainbows in Knik lake over here on KGB road and my son and I have taken the grandson there and all 3 of us have enjoyed hooking those hungry little grayling. There are some big naitive rainbows in there too but you really gotta work for them. The grayling fishing up on the Denali Hwy and the tangle lakes can be real exciting but that is probably best done on a weekend camping trip.

Bird Creek and Hope for pinks. You have a trout rod, so get a clear float with an eye on each end and tie on the end on the main line with a swivel, then 5' or more of light leader to a small fly like a mosquito, instant fly rig for grayling and top water trout. Will also work with wet flies.

Closer is better just 'cause the 'Daddy are we there yet' is tough on everyone.

It is August, but Kenai creeks like Quartz and Crooked can be fun bouncing a split shot or three and an egg imitation along the bottom. Johnson Lake on the Tustemena road on the Kenai has a campground and is stocked and fishes well around the lilly pads with a fly or small spinner. It is usually good most all summer. Larger fish are just out from the lillypads.

If you are down on the Kenai try Trustworthy Hardware on the highway in Soldotna for various fly and salmon rods and reels, and some trout spinning packages.

See also the book on fishing the highways by Gunnar Pederson.

Short List: Pinks during the run, stocked lakes close to town, grayling with flies or small spinners.

It's a pink salmon year. Make sure he's fishing in early August and he WILL catch fish.... probably dozens per day.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Another vote for the pinks. If you head to Allison Point your likely to see bears too. Any 10 yo will love that.

Thanks everyone for the info and ideas!

We're starting to plan a trip to Tangle Lakes, maybe 3-4 days including drive time. (Mapquest shows 5 hours and 260 mi one way.) Will take a spin cast, spinning rod and my fly rod as well. Pretty exciting idea. Probably go in the next week or so. Neither of us have seen that part of Alaska before. (Well, I've been up and down the Glenn/Richardson/Al-Can a few times; he's never been off the Parks/Seward Hwys. Neither of us have been on the Denali Hwy.

Probably be spending some time at Sportsman's next day or so. =) What should I take for lures? Small Mepps spinners/spoons? Mosquito flies?

Come on out to the Denali Highway! Stop by and kids 12 and under are always free. My 9 year old loves to teach kids how to fly fish, so bring him on by. They will have a blast together. Probably get tired of catching fish and end up throwing rocks! lol We are at milepost 68.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

FL2AK-

You and I share some of the same issues when it comes to no knowing where to go, or what to use. I've lived here all of my 28 years and have only really been interested in fishing for the past few years. It is almost shameful that I've lived here so long and I have no idea how to catch a salmon!!! (The combat scene, all of the tricks and technicalities have been stupefyingly intimidating.)

Anyway, I've been struggling to learn how to fish for the past few years and this summer is the first summer that I've got my kids to go with me (partly due to their age.) I gave up on my efforts to figure out how to take them salmon fishing and just decided to start small with more basic things that I have learned from the generous folks on this board. I have taken all three of my kids ranging in age from 3 to 7 on my little 16' canoe to some of the Lakes near Palmer that were just stocked. Two of them have been using their own Barbie poles from wal-mart and my 3 year old son and I have used a collapsible spinner setup. I started this spring with absolutely no idea how to rig it, and now I've found that if I put a small hook with a small split shot about 18" above it, and bait the hook with those fake minnows, or store bought cocktail shrimp the little stocked rainbows chomp!

Don't get me wrong, the kids still get bored pretty quick if there is no action, so what I try to do is paddle around and explore the lake itself too, or changing location to different beaches (on public land.) When they want to play around or throw rocks or something I let them. And I try not to over do it. If we're there an hour or two and nothing is happening I'll ask if they want to go.

The two older kids, 5 and 7, have each caught a couple of rainbows on their barbie poles, that's really all it took, and now they seem to be far more patient if there is no action because they know what a rush it is when there is success. But if an hour or so goes by and nothing is happening I don't force the issue, if they want to go we'll go, if they want to stay we'll stay. If they want to do something else we'll do something else. Sometimes all it takes is showing them how daddy takes a hook out of his arm because he keeps snagging himself and that gets the belly laughs going and they are interested for another 20 minutes or so.

Anyway, good luck to you. Check out the lakes in the Valley. Most were just stocked and are very accessible with your canoe.

Thanks, Patrick, and thanks for your PM as well. I got my calendar askew and realized that I was already committed to things in town this weekend. We'll head out for Tangle Lakes on Monday. That works better as my gf will be home from a trip, which means the house won't be empty, and I don't have to find anyone to take the dog. I'll save some these suggestions of closer lakes for weekday mornings through the summer.

Hope you have a good trip. Sharing pics of your trip is always awesome!
    I went to Tangle Lakes last May just the wife and I and it was my first time there where I wasn't looking for something with hooves. They were just starting to redo the camp ground so I am curious to hear if it is still nice. It is such a pretty area.

Your right... I hooked 3 of my 4 boys on fishing. They like the hangning out with dad part but without fish it tends to get a bit boring.

your instincts are good with the combat fishing... not fun for kids... don't bother targeting reds unless you are using a dipnet.

Silvers or Pinks are pretty easy to catch... the trick with silvers is timing, your boys need to be willing to be on the water at dawn to catch them. that can be a hard sell sometimes.

For trout any of the stocked lakes are usually decent. Use the canoe and rig up for trolling. I use 8 lb main line, with a 3 way swivel at the end. on the down swivel I put up to a ounce weight to drag down the line, the hook side is a flasher followed by a 12" 4lb leader and a small hook with a single salmon egg. My boys have picked up something with that rig every time we've gone out. I'll admit it's usually it's fingerling sized rainbow but my then 8yr old got to fight a 24" long Char up to the canoe before it broke off his line... He didn't care he was so excited.

I'll PM you on some silver action... thats a bit more secret. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Come on out to the Denali Highway! Stop by and kids 12 and under are always free. My 9 year old loves to teach kids how to fly fish, so bring him on by. They will have a blast together. Probably get tired of catching fish and end up throwing rocks! lol We are at milepost 68.

Claude
    Along with Tangle Lakes, Claude's offer is the best idea on this thread. His son Bob is a kick in the pants and is always eager to be around other kids. Heck, the kid was teaching me how to skin my lynx this past winter - I'm sure he'd love to teach another kid how to fish. Much like the Tangle Lakes, the area around Claude's place is loaded with grayling. Grayling are hands-down the most kid-friendly species to fish for. They're generally plentiful and are very, very eager to bite a variety of small lures, spinners, and flies. I'd spend two days at the Tangles, drive another 50 miles west and stay a night at Claude's place, then head home. That would be a perfect trip for such an endeavor.

Later in the summer (mid july to the middle of August) if your down on the Kenai penn you should go chase Dolly Varden and pinks in Deep Creek or Anchor River. Use anything that looks like a salmon egg and a dolly will eat it up. If you watch the water in the river you can see the older kings and new pinks in the holes... look downstream 20 ft and you will see a school of dolly varden holding in the current waiting for dinner to roll down to them... I have literally worn my arm out catching dollies that way. Pinks will hit anything too. Good luck, My two boys 5.5 an 8 are somewhat interested in fishing, the youngest just wants to catch a Ling Cod... that is all he talks about... I want to catch a predator.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast