Thread: muck boots?

Default muck boots?

Hi,

This is my first post here. I've been spending a lot of time reading about gear and regs, and it is very helpful. I'm used to dry fly fishing for trout here in Colorado and seeing that 60 lb King in another post has really got me excited to be up there. We are starting on our way on the 26th, but won't get to the Kenai until mid July. Anyway, I keep hearing about break up boots or muck boots etc. Is there a brand that folks use up there that is available at Fred Meyers or Wally World, or do I have to pony up for the fancy brands? I'm guessing we'd be using them if we bank fish or for clamming, or just walking around swampy areas and getting eaten alive by bugs. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

Real Alaskans wear Extratuffs otherwise known as Alaskan sneakers.
    You can buy the cheapos but your feet and ankles will appreciate the Extratuffs.
    If your feet sweat a lot also get some Bama socks to wear inside of them.

If you will only need them for a short trip up here, I'd go with the inexpensive rubber boots from Wally World. If you plan on being a deck hand or something, go with the extra tuffs. I wear my muck boots for fall/winter wet stuff. Since they have neoprene uppers, they are a bit warm for most summer hiking duties.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

As much as I like muck boots I won't be buying any more. The neoprene uppers are nice but they just don't hold up for me. Seems like I'm always snagging them on something and I can't justify buying a new pair every few years.

I've got some 5-year-old Muck chore boots that survived a couple of years on the farm and three years in Alaska. I wear them every day when doing dog chores and fishing when I don't expect to do any serious wading. I've also got a pair of tall Xtratuffs. I don't find the Muck boots too warm, but I'm in the interior, and frankly my feet don't sweat half so much in them as they do in the Xtratuffs. I think the best approach is to choose boots that you'd wear anyway. Mind you, Xtratuffs can be an Alaskan souvenir - they really are typical Alaska footwear.

Thank you all for the replies. I think we'll wait until we get up there and decide what we need. In a normal winter here we get some deep snow at times so this kind of boot could be useful after our trip. I have a pair of Schnees hunting boots that might work although the lug soles tend to pick up a lot of mud. We leave in a week!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    As much as I like muck boots I won't be buying any more. The neoprene uppers are nice but they just don't hold up for me. Seems like I'm always snagging them on something and I can't justify buying a new pair every few years.
    I've had 2 pair of Muck Boots and will not by another pair as well. My two main issues are that Water seems to find its way in between the rubber and the neoprene and I have a water squishy noise when I walk. This occurred on both pair. Also, the tops do snag easily creating leaks. It is easily repaired with shoe goo but kinda a pain in the butt to deal with. Now, I see that xtratufs are being made in China. I expect the quality control to go down. I use to love the Green Ranger insulated rubber high rubber boots with the side zip, but they are only a 2-3 year boot as they dry rot. Use to get them at AIH but they stopped selling them. They were comfortable though, even significantly over xtratufs.

I should clarify that by muck boots, I meant mud boots or break up boots. I forgot that there is a brand name Muck Boot. Sorry. I am looking for a name brand for an industrial quality rubber and or neoprene boot to use for clomping around on river banks or in swampy areas. The Xtratufs seem to fit the bill although I'm not glad to hear that they are being made offshore. AIH = Alaska Industrial Hardware? Chico, I like the quote regarding PC.

Thanks again,

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by lajones48 View Post
    I AIH = Alaska Industrial Hardware?

Yes on AIH. They have great prices and always have a good supply of all sizes. They have frequent sales as well.

i like my muck boots (the brand) for stomping around in the tundra and along river. my wife prefers xtra tuffs. either is good for what you're talking about. i've had my muck boots for a couple years and they are falling apart. i use them a lot and have hiked in them, hunted, waded, fished, whatever. the rubber does come away from the neoprene and where the toes bend tend to rip/crack on the corners. i really liked these boots but don't really want to spend the money on another pair. probably go with xtra tuffs next time around. if you aren't going to be walking far and going to get pretty swampy just buy a pair of hip boots. half the time im in swampy areas i get water down my boots anyways so might as well go bigger. if you just using boots for a week or two theres the fred meyer specials that will be fine. good luck

Depending on how deep you plan on going-you could consider getting some keens. my husband and I both have these
    http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/pr...ilhead/klamath
    They are a bit spendy-but they'll still be good to use in Colorado. I use mine all seasons.