Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You Stink:So What do you do About it?

Default You Stink:So What do you do About it?

What do you do to prevent yourself from stinking on a long mountain hunt? I pack wipes and a tiny traveler's stick of deodorant, but they fail after so long. I once got a prescription of Drysol to keep my pits from sweating so much, and it works like a charm, but it still doesn't stop body odor. I know that bacteria makes the stink, so has anyone tried baking soda to neutralize armpit smell? Any ideas or tips anyone might have for the rest of us?

I googled this problem and found a tip to use hydrogen peroxide because it would oxygenate the anaerobic bacteria that creates stink. I might experiment with that before season. Please share any knowledge.

I had a hunting buddy of mine tell me about a product he uses called NULLO. It's basically a chlorophyl tablet that's green. It's supposed to act like a internal deordorant. It's designed to be used by someone with incontinence to help control the odor. I have read reviews on it where a lot of hunters will start taking it a few days before they go hunting to get it thru their system. You'll know it's all thru your system when it turns your turds green. I was at a football game a couple of years ago sitting next to my son-in-law and blew him a kiss(farted) and he told me the nullo wasn't working. I told him I'd just started taking it and it wasn't quite thru my system yet. I would suggest you do a find on nullo tablets and read some of the reviews and decide for yourself.

hand sanatizer works too, merino wool helps alot too. but other wise i just don't care...what i smell more on my clients than anything is their laundry detergent...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Ive never had an Animal complain about my stink......, not even my wife.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I'll take a bottle of rubbing alcohol with me. Just make a wash cloth damp with it and rub everything. It strips the grease and smell right off. However, you will discover each and EVERY little nick, cut, and scrape you never knew you had. It can also get a little warm around the tender bits.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    hand sanatizer works too, merino wool helps alot too. but other wise i just don't care...what i smell more on my clients than anything is their laundry detergent...
    Same here....never really cared. And if it ever got to where I did, I only used baby wipes in the crotch and crack.........hopefully I remember to in that order......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

LOL@in that order...love it!! voice of experience talkin'??!!!
    Master guide 212

Chlorophyll and merino wool, in lieu of base layer synthetics, will take you a long ways toward reducing odors after many days in a small tent.

Don't realy care as I still smell better than the game.I do take dips in streams or ponds if around and they always seem to be.For sure try to keep the butt crust knocked off
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

never really cared what I smelled like either,the only critters I ever bothered with my stink was the new hunters that showed up in the field. I did have a client once tell me that if I have to use the month when describing my last shower then its been tooooo long

Besides what everyone else has mentioned, I bring along a wash cloth and a small bar of this:

http://www.hunterspec.com/content/sc...al-liquid-soap

That and antiperspirant does the trick.

When the situation is right I have packed a few xtra T shirts - older ones that are not worth much - you can wash one out and let it hang dry and that helps a lot to have a freash one on, they also can be used for camp rags and if you don't want to drag them home toss them in the fire before you leave camp, same way with xtra old socks. I pack a odorless bar of soap that helps reduce human sweat smell also - many brands on the market now for outdoorspeople....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Chad, consider what base layers you're using, first. If you are wearing poly-pro, cotton, nylon, or polyester over and over each year, they hold on to your body odors, even if you're clean and fresh. You might not smell the odors after you wash them, but when you heat up again you'll start to smell the pits. Body heat activates odors in these materials and there is no way to keep the B/O from presenting on a long hunt. My advice is, if you do use these base layers, start with a new set of merino wool and throw away your old stuff.

Smart Wool and Merino wool brands will not hold on to odors, and they wash and dry easily in the field.

To help with your groin odors, apply deoderant/antipersperant to the sides of your sack and taint each morning. Musky oils in your groin will discharge when you're huffin up the hills, but the antipersp. helps reduce this.

Hope this helps.

larry

Just suck it up, strip down, and take a quick cowboy bath in the river. Everything shrivels up a bit, but then it don't get in the way! Also, take a small bottle of Gold Bond Medicated Body Powder, to rub around your groin, package, and thighs. Helps alot. Knute

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    Also, take a small bottle of Gold Bond Medicated Body Powder, to rub around your groin, package, and thighs. Helps alot. Knute
    The blue bottle is the best for this plus it has the added benefit of waking you up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    , take a small bottle of Gold Bond Medicated Body Powder, to rub around your groin, package, and thighs
    Be careful with the blue bottle...It feels like youve dipped your junk in a bucket of ice.

A good quality base layer helps tremendously, Minus -33 shorts have worked well.

Baking soda and water works wonders and it has than one use in the woods. Clears up crotch-rot and crack-burns as well as the pits, teeth and insect bites, bee stings and foot blisters.
    I give thanks to the vetrans, as they have aided in my priviledge to hunt and fish the great State of AK. and alow me to sleep safely at night.

I love the Minus 33 shirts and will buy more. I am less thrilled with the boxers. They may fit someone with a really athletic build but the waist band on mine rolls up and digs in. I never had that problem with my exofficio poly boxers though they do get funky. I am going to try the Stoic ones from departmentofgoods.com and if they don't work out I will just pony up retail for smartwool. Both the Stoic and Smartwool use a non-merino poly waist band which to me seems like a better design. Worst thing I have used is Under Armour... just funky!! I would rather go with extra pairs of cotton than use the UA stuff again!

I'm assuming you're talking about hygiene vs. animals noses. For animals, I don't think it matters if you stink a little or alot. They're going to wind you if they're downwind.

Personally, I carry anti-bacterial wet wipes (the big ones) and do a wh*re bath at night. I wore the Under Armor underwear (top and bottom) on missions in Afghanistan and swear by it. Take it off at night (during the w---- bath) wash it in the stream, ring it, and wear it dry. Get about 2 sizes larger than what you normally wear. Works for me anyway.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

did someone seriously say "taint".....?
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast