Thread: Suzuki vs Yamaha

Default Suzuki vs Yamaha

I am trying to decide on Suzuki or Yamaha outboards. Either 150's or 175. If anyone had any info on the new Suzuki's I would like to know. I kind of feel as all motors are good and this day and age its smart to shop for warranties but I know Yamaha has a great reputation in Alaska ass far as longevity and lack of problems. Has anyone with new Suzuki motors had problems yet?

Suzuki is kinda taking over from Yamaha in my neck of the woods, largely on the strength of local mechanics and warranty service. Yamaha has tubed it locally, while a strong Susiki dealer/shop has stepped up to the plate. The big decider is guys who have switched. Long-time Yamaha owners I know are raving about their new Suzukis of all sizes, saying they won't go back to Big Y even if we get a decent shop again. That sezz a lot to me, cuzz the new owners are long time boat-guys with a lot of Yamaha experience.

The whole equation would change in a town with a great Yamaha shop and a rotten Suzuki shop, I'm sure.

I don't think either one is a bad choice. From my limited experience with marine outboards, I'd probably go with Suzuki first, though.

Thank God you didn't include E-tecs in there.

So Honda is not in the running anymore? I haven't kept up on them so wouldn't know....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    So Honda is not in the running anymore? I haven't kept up on them so wouldn't know....
    I think it's a regional thing. Around here they're pretty scarce, but I've been in other places where there are lots. I'm betting you can look around most smaller ports and guess which brand has the best local mechanics and warranty service, just by which brands dominate on the backs of boats.

I have had very happy results with my Yamaha's. And I've heard great things about Suzuki's too. AKJeff on the forum has one and I believe he really likes his. Like many places - it comes down to the service you can get. I think the same for Honda's.

I think these three have all proven abilities in the 4 stroke and if you handle the weight of them than no real big deal as long as things work, it's when they don't and you can't get anyone to work on them.
    Tony

495 hours on a Suzuki DF115. No problems so far.

Watch the length of warranty.

Yeah, etechs aren't even in the same class, they are still 2 stroke. I had a Honda but I hated the service at AMDS. I heard there is a great Honda mechanic in seward but would like to try a different brand this go around. I did check pricesnd Suzuki left hand motors are much more expensive than the right hand. Suzuki are more than Yamaha as well. Your right to shop for service as well as warranty.

Etec not in the same class? Maybe as far as a 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke class, but I think that the Etec is definately taking some of the market share away from the big name 4 strokers.

Mo powr - Mo torq same fuel econ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Etec not in the same class? Maybe as far as a 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke class, but I think that the Etec is definately taking some of the market share away from the big name 4 strokers.

That is true. Etec is taking some of the market share. The only benefit i've found is that they are lighter and have a better hole shot. They still need oil purchased along with gas and I don't believe the longevity is equal to 4 strokes.

Love my 'Zuks. I've run them for 3 seasons so far and not a whiff of a problem. Couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

Problem with Etecs IMO is what you may gain in fuel economy is more than spent on the special Etec oil that is $45/gallon at AMDS, which in my friend's boat has to be added 1 gallon/100 miles. That's a LOT of money to spend on oil. He's also had other mechanical issues that shouldn't be present in almost new engines, but just on the oil use and price alone I wouldn't get them. I don't care that much if they get me on step a second or two faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    Love my 'Zuks. I've run them for 3 seasons so far and not a whiff of a problem. Couldn't be happier.
    How many hours?

Had both and prefer the Suzuki hands down. While we are happy with the performance of the Yamaha, the Suzuki is a much quieter motor, which makes a big difference with the top on!

I vote for the Suzuki's. I have a DF115 with only 91 hours on it, and it has been flawless. Anytime I have someone on the boat they always ask if the motor is running, because it is extremely quiet while idling. My 2 cents worth...

Only thing I can report is my neighbor has twin 115 Suzuki's on his boat. One month after the warranty expired he started getting water in the oil and the local dealer couldnt help him one bit other than to offer him something like 800 or 900 to buy it back for parts.
    It now sits in my neighbors garage and he had to buy a new one. He was not a happy camper over it.

I owned a small Suzuki, 10 hp Yamaha, 150 Yamaha, and 200 Optimax. All were 100% trouble free. If I were shopping for a new one I would go for the lightest and lowest cost as long as there was a dealer close to me.

I have a 300hp Suzuki on my boat, 457 hours after this weeks Homer trip and I could not be happier, Bob at Anchorage Yamaha has done me right.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Only thing I can report is my neighbor has twin 115 Suzuki's on his boat. One month after the warranty expired he started getting water in the oil and the local dealer couldnt help him one bit other than to offer him something like 800 or 900 to buy it back for parts.
    It now sits in my neighbors garage and he had to buy a new one. He was not a happy camper over it.

I owned a small Suzuki, 10 hp Yamaha, 150 Yamaha, and 200 Optimax. All were 100% trouble free. If I were shopping for a new one I would go for the lightest and lowest cost as long as there was a dealer close to me.
    Work boats:

Our 70Hp Suzuki started making water in the oil after some operator error. Replaced the impeller and changed the oil filter, the problem stopped.

Also have a pair of 175 Suzukis on a 30 ft Bayweld. No problems after 3 years.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yamaha and Suzuki are making 300Hp and bigger outboards. Honda has not put out anything bigger than 225, or maybe a 250 recently.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder