Thread: COAL Help for 338

Default COAL Help for 338

I'm looking to load the 225 TTSX in my 338 WM using H4350. When I talked to Barnes they recommended loading .050 off the lands. I used a Stoney OAL gauge to measure 3.473. Minus the.050 that makes 3.423, but my manuals say the maximum COAL for the 338 WM is 3.340. Any recommendations on what OAL I should use.

Thanks Much

If your magazine will allow you to load it to 3.423 then that is where I would start. I dont very often use the COAL in the manual. I use my stoney point and go from there. Barnes I start .050 off the lands and with bonded bullets I start at .020. Once I get the speed I was I will play with the COAL .010 at a time till i find what shoots better.

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    I'm looking to load the 225 TTSX in my 338 WM using H4350. When I talked to Barnes they recommended loading .050 off the lands. I used a Stoney OAL gauge to measure 3.473. Minus the.050 that makes 3.423, but my manuals say the maximum COAL for the 338 WM is 3.340. Any recommendations on what OAL I should use.

Thanks Much
    What is your magazine box length? If it will allow 3.423 then I'd try that length, if it is shorter than that I'd try the longest length that will function from the magazine box. Just for reference, my .338 WM is on an older Sako action and I think my loads all run in the 3.5-3.6 coal range and work through the magazine without issue.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post

Thanks Much
    Well, Barnes, and Stoney Point are talking OAL to the lands, measured on the ogive of the bullet, but the Max OAL is to the Tip.

What is the COAL to the Tip, with your finished rounds?

It hasta work through the magazine, so if the COAL to tip is within limits, you can use whatever length you want IF it doesn't touch the lands.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.