Thread: Lightweight moose hunt packing list ?

Default Lightweight moose hunt packing list ?

I could use a little help as I start to compile the stuff to go hunting this fall. I have done a flyout almost every fall since I've been here but this year poses a new problem, I talked with my outfitter/ transporter (he's an outfitter but will only be acting as transporter for us), and he informed me that we will be flying in via SuperCub. My dad and his best friend will be my partners, and plan to hunt bears after I get a moose. They have both done several hunts with me, but in the past we have flown in a Beaver. The Transporter says that we are allowed 100lb of gear each though I may get a little more since I only weigh 155lb myself. I can't bug my transporter too much as he is on the east coast with his ailing mother, but I do trust him and have known him for years, just don't want to bother him alot at this time.
    So my real question is, does anyone have a list or suggestions of what to take to stay under our weight limit. This is going to be about half our normal gear allowance, and I'm a little worried. But we will be going to a good area, that I'm told is good partially because of the access being limited to a Cub on wheels. We plan to stay for 8 days, and I'm guessing that food will all be Mtn House type dehides. If you have a list for a lightweight setup for a weeks stay I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey Kid, i do light weight fly ins for moose quite often. Last year I did a packraft hunt for moose and flew in with a cub. You're probably base camp hunting without an inflatable, but the gear list I put together was also filmed to help guys like you and me preapre for such a trip.

The video is our Float Hunting Alaska Volume 3, and I would list everything that's on the video...but it would suck up a lot redundant time and effort.

If you're interested, it covers my typical gear list for a 75-lb personal item kit with food selections as well. On the video main menu it has a link to "Pack and Repair." It worth viewing and will help get you started in the right direction.

our video resources are listed on this page:

http://www.pristineventures.com/prod...d-library.html

Good luck.

Larry

Thank you Larry I would love to check out your DVD, is there anywhere to get it locally or do I need to order it. Either way I'll be watching it for sure.

The last 3 years I've done fly out moose hunts via cub. My gear including food for 8-10 days was around 55-60lbs. With a partner you can double up on a lot of stuff. Last year 3 of us went for 10 days, and the total weight of all our gear was about 130lbs including 3 camp chairs. Think sheep weight gear.

Thanks, any way you could make some suggestions regarding food choices would be great. This is a bit overwhelming for me, I guess it's a good thing I have until the end of august to plan.

Hey Kid, I am in the same boat as you, with the exception that I am going on a packraft float hunt for moose like Larry just described. We are almost "geared up" for our hunt that includes flying in on a Super Cub. We are going in with 80lbs. gross each. Larry's video is a great tool to show what a lightweight gear set-up looks like, along with that I did sheep hunt gear list searches for gear lists ideas that I used to get my gear weight manageable, also youtube has a ton of videos of lightweight tricks for food and gear etc.
    Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Thanks, any way you could make some suggestions regarding food choices would be great. This is a bit overwhelming for me, I guess it's a good thing I have until the end of august to plan.
    Here's some of my go to things...

Mountain House or another top choice dehydrated food. Personally I've taken a liking to Hawk Vittles, better nutrient base with less sodium.

Plan for about 2500-3000 calories a day. I like to add some olive oil to each meal, quick healthy way to replenish good fats.

The tin foil packaged chicken breast added to lipton "side dishes" goes great.

Individually packaged servings of Idaho potatoes are the bomb.
    Powdered drinks.
    Granola/protein bars
    Jerky
    Trail mix

Mtn house skillets in tortillas with some tobasco are the shizznit. I eat a tortilla with every meal, helps with the carbs.

Whole wheat bagels

Oatmeal prepacked with real fruits

Hit the pasta/beans isle at the store for dehydrated meal ideas. Just remember the sodium content.

Snickers bars are mandatory.