Thread: Center Pins

Default Center Pins

Center pins are becoming a big hit for any hard core river fisherman in Michigan. When I come out there I plan on bringing it hoping i'll beable to fish with it and learn how to land fish better.

Do we have any pinners out in Alaska or will I be the only one?

Default Sure....

Now, what are they?

You'll probably be the only one or one of very few on the rivers in Southcentral AK. Many of the fisheries that are road accessible and large enough to benefit from the advantages of a center-pin setup are too crowded for that method during the peaks of the runs. Remember the saying "When in Rome?" You'll have crowd problems in many of the salmon fisheries. There are places you could use it though, and if the crowd thins you'll hammer fish with the suberp presentation that technique allows.

Talking

Leave that long whippy rod at home! No use for it here....you want thick meat sticks loaded with heavy horseing power line.

Default Also

Also they don't work well in strong currents like the Kenai. The fish will keep going and that noodle will look like the McDonalds Arches before the fish runs all they way from The russian to Soldotna!
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Thanks for your reponses, guys! I don't plan on fishing the Kenai with it but will be looking for less crowded streams(if there are any) and areas where i can fish floats. A center pin in basically like a fly reel with no drag. It's awesome fighting fish on it after you get use to it. Im still have alot of learning to do.

Here is a pic of mine:

Thumbs up

Ahhh a blue Raven, nice little reel you have there. spins reel well