Thread: New old canoe

Default New old canoe

Been looking for a canoe on Wrangell for 3 1/2 years and finaly got one today. Its a blue Coleman RamX double ended built in 1990 looking at the numbers. It still has the sticker on it as new and the aluminum is still bright and shiny.Its hung in a shed for twenty years never in the water which ends tommrow. I'm happy as a clam in sewer mud blowing bubbles. Not square stern but by god its a canoe and I think I can build a motor mount
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Been looking for a canoe on Wrangell for 3 1/2 years and finaly got one today. Its a blue Coleman RamX double ended built in 1990 looking at the numbers. It still has the sticker on it as new and the aluminum is still bright and shiny.Its hung in a shed for twenty years never in the water which ends tommrow. I'm happy as a clam in sewer mud blowing bubbles. Not square stern but by god its a canoe and I think I can build a motor mount
    Congrats Will!! Nice find!! Enjoy and be safe!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Congratulation, nice find.......enjoy.

A blue one huh? Good for you!
    I've never seen the blue ones, just the green (mine) & red. Colemans get ragged on a lot, but they sure have their place. For places where there is lots of dragging & little portaging I love mine.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Good find. I've owned lots of canoes, but I seem to keep coming back to Colemans. For what I do with them, they are perfect.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    A blue one huh? Good for you!
    I've never seen the blue ones, just the green (mine) & red. Colemans get ragged on a lot, but they sure have their place. For places where there is lots of dragging & little portaging I love mine.
    Yeah. I've always been the ragger/naysayer. I used to assemble those when I worked at Sports Authority in the L48. The thing I always disliked about them was the need for all of that aluminum just to keep it rigid, and the associated weight.

But you're right, they do have their place, and I've noticed that their admirers are an ardent group. The RAM-X material is heavy, but it's almost as durable as aluminum (just as heavy) and way easier to repair than either aluminum or Royalex. They're zero maintenance and last forever.

I dislike the keels on the bottom because they make it hard to turn, but they make it very steady. It's a great family canoe, safe and durable, to leave at a lake cabin all year, or transport on a trailer. Forget about car topping or portaging-especially by one person.

I would caution on the dragging bit. A friend has one that he drug down some gravel bars etc, and i's got a dozen or so dime sized holes all along the center keel, under the aluminum stay that runs end to end. But, a quart of resin and a yard of cloth and it's fixed. Heck, you could carry the resin and cloth in the canoe, and fix it on the bank, if needed.

Yep. You got a good canoe for the harsh Alaskan environment.

Built a motor mount for it and hope to try it tommrow. Still need to buy a couple boat fenders for the pontoons and finish the rail all around with 1x4's.Should be able to handle the bigger water here fine and will be hopping to different islands soon.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you