Thread: 700 Remington information

Default 700 Remington information

A friend of mine bought a 700 Remington in .223 at my recomendation. I shot it and cleaned it several times for him. The triger was very heavy to my liking so I recomended he get a triger job done before we shoot it any more. He took it to get a triger job and the guy returned it and said there was nothing he could do for it. If I understand right it has screws that can not be adjusted. Anyone know what this is all about? The triger pull scale said the triger was pulling over 5 1/2 lbs. I thought all 700 Remingtons had adjustable trigers. Can this triger be replaced with a aftermarket triger?

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    A friend of mine bought a 700 Remington in .223 at my recomendation. I shot it and cleaned it several times for him. The triger was very heavy to my liking so I recomended he get a triger job done before we shoot it any more. He took it to get a triger job and the guy returned it and said there was nothing he could do for it. If I understand right it has screws that can not be adjusted. Anyone know what this is all about? The triger pull scale said the triger was pulling over 5 1/2 lbs. I thought all 700 Remingtons had adjustable trigers. Can this triger be replaced with a aftermarket triger?
    I'd be suspect of the "gunsmith" who returned the rifle. I've not messed with the newest 700 triggers, but IME all others are adjustable.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have replaced all mine with the Rifle Basix LV1K triggers,just like em' better.Try a aftermarket firing pin and spring if you do the trigger,will decrease your lock time quite a bit also.

Replace with a quality trigger and smile everytime you pull the trigger. I put a Jewel in mine and set it at 2 1/2 pounds. Love how smooth and crisp it is.

I fixed all my Remington trigger issues by replacing them with triggers mounted in WINCHESTERS,, LOL. All joking aside, I did replaced the factory trigger in the 700 I had with a Timney and was much happier with the result. The new triggers coming in both Remington and Winchester are not very adjustable, "LAWYER"triggers. Replace it with an aftermarket and you will be much happier and a better shooter. A stiff dragging trigger is about the most common cause for poor shooting.

Good luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

The new triggers have some type of heat sensitive epoxy holding them in place. You can heat the trigger up using a propane torch and then quickly adjust the trigger. You can heat it multiple times if needed. I have one and most likely will replace it; I really don't like the new triggers but that is what they come with. A long ways from perfect. Good luck. J.

I have been asked to adjust more than one of the new X Mark triggers that I was unable to get the screws to move. And if I can't get the screws to move using good quality Allen wrenches from Brownells and a propane torch, it's probably not worth fiddling with. Spend the 100$ to get a Rifle Basix or Timney and live happily ever after, this from a guy who likes the Rem 700 but can't stand the new X trigger.

I've got a Rifle Basix and a Timney....just replace it and be done with it. Either will give it better results than fiddling with the X-Mark abomination.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I have been asked to adjust more than one of the new X Mark triggers that I was unable to get the screws to move. And if I can't get the screws to move using good quality Allen wrenches from Brownells and a propane torch, it's probably not worth fiddling with. Spend the 100$ to get a Rifle Basix or Timney and live happily ever after, this from a guy who likes the Rem 700 but can't stand the new X trigger.
    Good. I was hopin you'd post on this.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

So this non-adjustable trigger problem is related to new 700s only? I ask because I have an old one, at least 30+years, and I had a smith adjust it and it's been real nice for years....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yes 4merguide the new trigger only effects or maybe infects the newer 700s made in the last five or six years. When properly adjusted the older triggers can be superb. I save old ones with the one piece sear, bolt lock safety, and the flat square safety lever to gut and rebuild for my own guns. I don't do this for customers for liability reasons but for my own use I think they are great, probably no better than a Timney but I'm pretty cheap.

Is there any way to tell from looking at the outside if the Remingtons have an adjustable trigger or not? I have several 700's that have had the trigger adjusted right and have never had a problem with them. This gun had over 5 1/2 lbs on the trigger and I could see the gun pull off the target before it fired. I think this gun will be a shooter if he can get the trigger pull down a few pounds.

They are all supposed to be adjustable, just that some of them refuse to cooperate. The new ones have a round wire spring bent into one coil that detents the safety lever, while the older ones have a flat spring and detent ball on the safety. You'll have to take it out of the stock to see the differences.

I'm with the group, bought a new 700 2 yrs ago and could not get the new Mark X trigger to adjust after lots of attempts - pithced it and put in a Timney - shoots like a dream now! I think they should offer it with no trigger to save the cost.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Yes, I am with all the others, replace the new Remington triggers with good after market triggers. Good luck, let us know how it turns out after you replace the trigger.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

+1 on a Timney

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I'm with the group, bought a new 700 2 yrs ago and could not get the new Mark X trigger to adjust after lots of attempts - pithced it and put in a Timney - shoots like a dream now! I think they should offer it with no trigger to save the cost.
    You might just offend them with the truth................

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I love it! Aint that the truth.

Jewell, you'll never go back.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...