Thread: Outboard Mechanic Recommendations

Default Outboard Mechanic Recommendations

I'm in the market for a new ( or old ;o) ) Outboard Mechanic that will work on older Mercury Outboards, near Eagle River. Does anyone know of, and would recommend, a good mechanic in the area? Anywhere within driving distance, say... Big Lake to Girdwood? Unfortunately, the guy I used to have do all my work has retired....

Quote Originally Posted by oldakcop View Post
    I'm in the market for a new ( or old ;o) ) Outboard Mechanic that will work on older Mercury Outboards, near Eagle River. Does anyone know of, and would recommend, a good mechanic in the area? Anywhere within driving distance, say... Big Lake to Girdwood? Unfortunately, the guy I used to have do all my work has retired....
    Although not in your area Bill at Marine Services in Homer is probably the best place for Mercury repair work in Alaska.
    They are the oldest Mercury shop in Alaska and through the Merc Net ( national parts network of all merc dealers parts inventory)they can get parts for all newer mercury outboards and Mercruiser inboards as well as some vintage ones as well.
    Last year they had a fellow bring in an outboard from the 50's I think for them to look at and he said he would fix it if they could get parts.
    I use them for my Mercruiser and they have done well for me. Their prices are good too. I bought a prop from them for $125 and the shop in Soldotna showed me their parts book and their dealer cost was $135 for the exact same quicksilver prop!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Although not in your area Bill at Marine Services in Homer is probably the best place for Mercury repair work in Alaska.
    They are the oldest Mercury shop in Alaska and through the Merc Net ( national parts network of all merc dealers parts inventory)they can get parts for all newer mercury outboards and Mercruiser inboards as well as some vintage ones as well.
    Last year they had a fellow bring in an outboard from the 50's I think for them to look at and he said he would fix it if they could get parts.
    I use them for my Mercruiser and they have done well for me. Their prices are good too. I bought a prop from them for $125 and the shop in Soldotna showed me their parts book and their dealer cost was $135 for the exact same quicksilver prop!
    Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep him in mind, if I can't find someone closer. Homer's a long way to drag a boat for a simple repair

I hear ya! I just figured you might have been planning a homer halibut trip anyway or something.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I just got an older Alumaweld with a Merc on it and I am having some work done at Greatland Welding in Palmer- the owner told me that the mechanic they use for all the marine motors is at the Deshka Landing. I know that is a little far (but a little closer than Homer).

Never had a bad issue with J Kinberley South Anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I just got an older Alumaweld with a Merc on it and I am having some work done at Greatland Welding in Palmer- the owner told me that the mechanic they use for all the marine motors is at the Deshka Landing. I know that is a little far (but a little closer than Homer).
    Thanks! That's getting closer

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Never had a bad issue with J Kinberley South Anchorage
    Yeah, tried to use them... They told me they won't work on older Mercs, though. But, thanks for the suggestion!