Thread: Lance Jorgensen-One year ago today! Be safe on the Copper River!

North Pole

Default Lance Jorgensen-One year ago today! Be safe on the Copper River!

One year ago today, Lance lost his life on the Copper River. Be safe out there. That river is not forgiving and does not often give second chances. Wear PFD's, tie off, and always be paying attention. Use this as a sober reminder while you are out there and let his life not be lost in vain!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "One Last Cast"

Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

I have so say....that is a beautiful tribute to him up in the rocks there.

Sorry for your loss.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It is a very nice tribute to him. Is that the spot he was fishing when he fell in?

Interior Alaska

There was a comment in the Trip Report thread about PFD's and someone asking another if they were the other's daddy, due to a remark about not wearing a pfd. The person who confronted the perceived boundary violation, and supported the concept of allowing others to do as they will, used the adage, "live and let live."

I'm personally a big supporter of letting persons do as they will, even when there's risk to it. I'm very libertarian-minded in that regard, almost regardless of the issue/context.

However, I'll add that in re. to some not being safety-conscious on the river, I've recently spoken with another person who has been in situations wherein a person experienced a crisis, whether it be loss of power to a motor, or falling in, and they've felt compelled to drop what they were doing, and use their boat or body to (successfully) prevent the other from experiencing what probably would've been serious harm.

Sometimes it's not entirely about the self, but also about those around the person who's chosen to 'live freely.'

And in some cases, "live and let live" may be more accurately described as "live and let die." (No offense to Paul McCartney). And though I can't prove this, I believe that few of us are willing to stand by and watch as someone perishes. The trauma of that moment, and the images that remain for years to come, are ample reason as to the 'why.' Just the mutual humaniity of those times is sufficient reason.

Some have never felt the hold that such current or whirlpools can have. A strong current pulling someone under could be likened to having ropes around your ankles, hooked to a winch beneath you, but with other forces within the current contorting the movements of the body, with the water's motion often much stronger than the healthiest of us. It can sometimes be a force that simply can't be overcome by even years of swimming, never mind the shock of COLD water as an added feature.

I won't take my youngest son there unless we're going to have a camp away from the canyon where he can hang out with another older responsible person. My own life has been ongoing for many years, and my own loss would simply be a minor abbreviation to the years gone by, followed by a decent pay-out of life insurance, which I'm sure they could use. But I do worry about some of the youngsters who seem to feel they're "10-ft. tall and bullet-proof." It's the living who grieve.

Thanks for the reminder, the monument, and for letting others know that those who remain are affected the most.