Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dissapointing Performance Center QC

Default Dissapointing Performance Center QC

I went to look at a new S&W Performance Center 627 today and although I loved the gun, I was very dissapointed in the grip. The wooden slabs were not flush and were flared out from each other at the base. It looks like they were just thrown together out of a seconds bin and stuck on the gun. It comes with a rubber grip as well, but for as much as they cost and coming directly from the shop it would seem they would at least look it over and change defective fitting grips. I hope that S&W makes it right to the gun shop because I want the gun- I just can't see spending that kind of cash for such a sloppy fit. Otherwise it is an amazing gun and maybe I shouldn't make a big deal about the grips...but it gripes me.

*I am not bashing S&W in any way and in fact I am a die hard fan- that is why I hate seeing poor examples of quality control.
    BEE

Default Just send it back...

Don't be bashful- call S&W and tell them your story. I'm betting you can buy the gun and then send it back and get it fixed.

Or talk to the gun store and see if they will do it if they understand you are really intending to buy it- perhaps put down a deposit contingent on getting the grips fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I went to look at a new S&W Performance Center 627 today and although I loved the gun, I was very dissapointed in the grip. The wooden slabs were not flush and were flared out from each other at the base. It looks like they were just thrown together out of a seconds bin and stuck on the gun. It comes with a rubber grip as well, but for as much as they cost and coming directly from the shop it would seem they would at least look it over and change defective fitting grips. I hope that S&W makes it right to the gun shop because I want the gun- I just can't see spending that kind of cash for such a sloppy fit. Otherwise it is an amazing gun and maybe I shouldn't make a big deal about the grips...but it gripes me.

*I am not bashing S&W in any way and in fact I am a die hard fan- that is why I hate seeing poor examples of quality control.
    BEE
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The shop is calling S&W Monday and I hope they get a good response. The double action is as sweet and smooth as it gets!
    BEE

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

They do something like that, and it makes ME wonder WHAT ELSE is wrong.

I know you wanna think "positive" but I'd look it over REELY good, if I were you.

"Performance Center" is just a Marketing ploy, anyhoo.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

[QUOTE=Smitty of the North;1135087]They do something like that, and it makes ME wonder WHAT ELSE is wrong.

I know you wanna think "positive" but I'd look it over REELY good, if I were you.

"Performance Center" is just a Marketing ploy, anyhoo.

Smitty:

Unfortunately that is how I feel- if the grip fitting could be so sloppy...is anything else as well. I truly do want to believe it is just a very rare glitch. It may be a marketing ploy, but it sure has one slick action job on it.
    We shall see how the call goes from the shop.
    BEE

When the 351PD came out it shipped with Ahrends Boot Grips. The pair I received had the last finger groove on one side cracked where the wood was thinnest. S&W replaced them, no problem.

Smith & Wesson no longer makes any grips, nor would I expect them to fit grips, even on a PC gun. They buy them from Hogue, Ahrends (probably the woods you are talking about), Butler Creek/Uncle Mike's/whoever-is-running-the-mold this year. There is at least one other wood grip maker, but I forget the company name.

As far as the PC, it is making guns better than the production line. The production guns are better fit than they have been in the past, and maybe the PC guns aren't as 'perfect' as they were before the PC guns became another marketing line, but they are, or should be, noticeably better. Smoother, better fit, whatever you want to look for, it should be there. Are they 100% hand built guns? No, and you won't get that for $1000-1400. If you want that, buy a Korth factory gun, or a custom from Clements, Cunningham, Bowen, Mulkerin, Stroh, or Randy Lee. Hand them thousands of dollars and wait for a year or two, and you'll have a custom revolver that is as close as you can get to hand made (without appearing on American Guns ). But if a PC gun isn't up to snuff, call them on it and they should be happy to make it right.

Scott:
    I appreciate your comments.
    BEE

Perhaps the grips just appeared to be out of whack due to the unbelievably close tolerances in the rest of the handgun. I have a feeling that it is more about the natural inadequacies of wood as a material used in manufacturing vs the superior craftsmanship of a Smith and Wesson forged steel revolver. The same grips on a clunky ruger would have no doubt looked high end and any imperfections would have been unnoticed next to the overbuilt cast construction.

Grip makers use a standard grip frame. Any change by the gun maker means they won't fit. I can fit a perfect grip on my gun and it might not fit yours.

LuJon:
    That was not the case. I also understand what BFR is saying. I have owed a lot of handguns through the years and this would have disgraced any of the makes. My main problem with is is that although not considered a custom gun, the grips were put on and QC checked the gun before it left to the distributor and should have had a stop and re-do so to speak.
    Like I said maybe it isn't a big deal- but it is to me. My favorite handguns are S&W and it is just dissapointing to see such a nice wheelgun with such rudamentary fitting grips- that is all!
    BEE

Default Out of place

I think you make a very good point: what is acceptable quality wise on Ruger may not be acceptable on a S&W.

For instance, when I was complaining about the barrel not being screwed in straight in my Redhawk the general response from Ruger owners was "no problem as long as it shots OK". The same attitude applies to the crude fitting of the crane to the frame and rough cast surfaces on the frame in the cylinder opening - it just doesn't matter to Ruger owners as long as the gun is strong and shoots OK.

I still like the comparison of revolver quality to hand tools. You can buy cheaper bulky cast Craftsman wrenches which are plenty sturdy and have a lifetime warranty - or you can buy more expensive forged and better finished professional brands like Snap-on, Proto etc. Either will get the job done in the right hands. It is nice to have a choice!

So when I need to remove heavily rusted on nut I'll grab my clunky Craftsman wrench and slip a piece of pipe over it to get more leverage. If it breaks I'll get a new one. When I'm working on machinery that has been maintained and normal strength is fine I'll use my better wrenches - they are ligher and just more enjoyable to use and feel right. Likewise for handguns - I'll try overloads in my Rugers knowing they will take the abuse but for normal shooting and hunting with normal loads I like the quality and feel of my S&Ws. Both have there place.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Perhaps the grips just appeared to be out of whack due to the unbelievably close tolerances in the rest of the handgun. I have a feeling that it is more about the natural inadequacies of wood as a material used in manufacturing vs the superior craftsmanship of a Smith and Wesson forged steel revolver. The same grips on a clunky ruger would have no doubt looked high end and any imperfections would have been unnoticed next to the overbuilt cast construction.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Most people don't leave the original grips on a revolver anyway(first thing they do to customize new gun) but, if you do, good luck. That's how they accumulate a box full of these, in their basement shops.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Most people don't leave the original grips on a revolver anyway(first thing they do to customize new gun) but, if you do, good luck. That's how they accumulate a box full of these, in their basement shops.
    Steve
    Yeah, S&W grips have always been crap.

Both of mine have hogue grips.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

That's how they accumulate a box full of these, in their basement shops.
    Steve
    Hey! I thought I was the only one to have a box of grips in my basement.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I son't think S&W has ever made any pistol grips to anynes tastes? Evrybody changes them.
    Steve

Smitty:
    It comes with a set of Hogues as well and that is what I like on heavy calibers (although I hate the look of them). The wooden ones supplied fit my hand nicely and for a non-scandium .357 I would like wood. I have had custom grips for a number of revolvers and maybe I should just eat the cost and buy another set for this one...

TVFINAK:

I do feel that S&W's are usually much smoother and finer-finished than Rugers, but one of the nicest revolver's I have owned was a SRH that I had a DA trigger job done for hunting. That gun was great in fit and finish and it was smooth as silk (after the trigger job) and I wish I had not sold it! Hunting at long ranges makes sense to me to use SA but up close where noise is an issue I believe in DA shooting.
    I realize many may disagree with me but a smooth DA with a smooth pull is sometimes easier to shoot well.

I am glad there are so many makes and models because it gives us excuses to find the 'right one' depending what we want. As much as I like semi autos, there is just something about a nice revolver to me..

I think I only have one S&W of the dozen or so I own that doesn't have factory grips. They work well for me - i don't see a real resaon to change them. Of course several of the newer guns like my .460 and .500 have rubber grips. My well used 629 has the rubber grips with the S&W medalians in them. - I don't think they made too many of those.

I son't think S&W has ever made any pistol grips to anynes tastes? Evrybody changes them.
    Steve

tvfinak:

Think about it. I never like the Wood grips on S&Ws, even the so-called Magnum Grips, and I believe for good reason.

I got the impression that few other folks did either, because they usta sell those grip fillers by the dozen, if advertising was any indicator.

I remember when a friend showed me his prize. It was a S&W 22 Kit Gun with a long barrel, and it had the skinny wood grips. While I was examining it, I went to cock the hammer and I nearly dropped it. So, Forget that.

I shot a S&W 357 with a short barrel quite a lot, and it had the Wood Magnum grips. It hurt the web of my hand, and was no fun at all. Of course, lots of handguns hurt to shoot, but some hurt too much IMO.

When you have a DA, the trigger is forward in a different place than when you cock the hammer and shoot it SA. I think that was the problem for me. I was used to my SA Rugers, and Colt.

I have 2 DA revolvers now, both S&Ws, but I've gotten used to changing my grip so I can shoot them SA.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

In todays world, S&W may even outsource grips from China or wherever? They are definately not the S&W of old.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast