Thread: Fishing whittier in 18ft sportsman

Default Fishing whittier in 18ft sportsman

So the last couple weeks I have gone out of seward twice, and deep creek once, mainly fishing for halibut. I have tried for and had no luck with rockfish, even though everyone seems to say they are impossible not to catch.
    This coming week I thinking about going to whittier. Anyone ever take a 18ft boat out there? I am interested in finding somewhere that i can camp, and do some fishing. I appreciate any advice. Last week i was in seward and the boat was on the beach, its aluminum obviously, and had a terrible time getting the boat back in the water. any hints on how to make that work better? also how far out of whittier would i need to go for halibut this time of year? and lastly, any rockfish there in whittier? ive never caught one and i would love to try it.

As far as keeping your boat in the water I have had luck with the following; go to Sportsmans Whse & pick up two of the Anchor buddy cords, make sure at least one is the 50' not the 35'. Then get a 100' section of rope ( I use yellow poly floating rope). Camp in a protected cove, tie off the 100' to your stern & use your main anchor rope, or other line to secure around a tree on shore. Go out far enough for that days tide, & drop the anchor, chain, & have buddy cord attached to the chain off the bow. Pull your self to shore & the anchor buddy will pull the boat back out.
    No as far as whittier halibut go, that is a tough one as there aren't many spots close in & if there were people are pretty tight lipped about them because it is so accessable. There are camping platforms in Lake bay & spot that is easy to anchor your boat off there & you willl just have to prospect for rock fish & see what is out there.

Here are a couple pics of the anchor buddy, depending on how far you you anchor sometimes I use just one & a lot of the time I use one doubled up attached to the first one.

Plenty of people run out of Whittier in 18' boats - just watch the forecast and play it very conservatively. Passage Canal and Port Wells can turn really, really ugly in a heartbeat. As for rockfish, you can get into small copper and quillback rockfish anywhere near shore in 30-100' of water. Larger yelloweye rockfish can be a bit harder to find, but the Sound is full of good rocky areas to fish. Halibut is a tougher gig, though. Most of the halibut habitat in the Sound is 1,000' or deeper, and the best sportfishing options are far south of Whittier after crossing some pretty big, open water. People pick them up in bays, but not in predictably productive numbers.

I didnt mind having the boat sitting on the beach while i was camping, the tides were at good times that made it convenient, but the issue was getting the boat back in the water. When the tide was coming in, i got the boat floating, but the waves breaking on the beach were caused the boat to keep turning to one side or the other. So with the anchor buddy, you still have to motor into shore and unload/load gear into the boat, does it solve the issue i was having? or would it still be rough for the first few yards close to shore?
    And thanks for the input on type of fishing there in whittier. Do you fish much in seward? I am curious if it is to early for rockfish in the bay just like halibut.

I have an 18' Bayrunner Skiff and love taking out of whittier. I dont know how far you took yours out of seward, but if you are good there then whittier will be no problem. I went out this past Wednsday and got about half way across port wells and decided to turn around fearing we would be stuck out there for a bit. Port wells is fantastic in the very very early morning, but once the tides start to turn it gets to be like a washing machine. once you make it through the mouth of port wells, its always been better sailing for me. I would head over to esther rock area. Troll for chums around lake bay.....decent eating if they are super salt water chrome. Then look at your charts if it says RKY and it is from 80-250 ft deep then fish it. the further away from whittier you get the better. When the waves halted me i fishing blackstone and cochran with little succes. just a bunch of baby lings bighting our lures.

good luck.

Joe.

The rollers and breaking waves on shore in Seward can really get you in a pickle quick. I am going to buy a cheap little blow up seyvlor boat to go to shore in Seward.

In whittier if you are in a protected bay you won't have the swells to deal with. Going to shore and back out is a pretty simple affair.

Use the anchor buddy like mentioned above to keep your boat afloat while you are camping.

I have a new to me 18' hewes searunner (about the same as your sportsman). The short boat likes to hit every wave - 1 and 2 footers aren't too bad, but 3's are uncomforable. I have only had the hewes out 3 times so far. 1 seward trip and 2 whittier trips.

I put 80 miles on it at seward and about 100 each time in whittier. We went out to northern night out of whitter 1 day so you can get out there if you pick your weather wherever you go. 2's and under forecast is usually pretty good.

I can't help with fishing in whittier. Keep wetting your lines is about all I can offer.