Thread: Where are the Hooligan ?

Default Where are the Hooligan ?

Just checking if anyone has seen Hoolie's in the Kenai this year. I'm needing some so if you dipped the SU and can share Ill be grateful.

The guides must have killed all the hooligan. They're the ones responsible for all the problems facing the. Kenai.

I got @4.5 gallons on the Kenai this year with my big net on may 31st in about an hour of fishing.
    I believe it was all those commercial boats on the Kenai catching all the Hooligan. They were just invisibly cloaked like on Star Trek.
    They must be responsible for the late/low run the last couple of years they get blamed for every other fish problem even when their nets haven't been out for months.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I think the trawler fleet intercepted the immature king salmon, oops, I mean hooligan, last year but since they didn't net in the spring they couldn't have impacted the fishery and contributed the dismal returns in the Kenai and throughout Alaska. I wonder why the king, oops, the hooligan returns are weak in the Deshka, Little Su, Anchor, Yukon, Karluk, Kasilof, etc. Yup, the darn Kenai guides must be fishing everywhere and killing the biggest, baddest, breeding kings, oops, hooligan across the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Just checking if anyone has seen Hoolie's in the Kenai this year. I'm needing some so if you dipped the SU and can share Ill be grateful.
    Two weeks ago I dipped about a thousand on the Su. It only took about 5 minutes. One net was so full my little brother couldn't pull it into the boat without a struggle. I put about 40 in each ziplock. I can spare a few bags if you would like. I will be back in town on the 22nd if you still need some then. I live on Finger lake. I can Pm you my number if you still need some. Here are some photos of the little bro with the catch. ~907
    DSCN0606.jpgfacebook_1804205757_2.jpg

907, thanks for your offer of Hooligan but I live in Soldotna. Quess it would cost less to buy Herring with the price of gas can't make the trip north. thanks anyway.

Dipnetting for hooligan on the Kenai closed on June 15.....sorry, you better take 907Pride on his offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
    Dipnetting for hooligan on the Kenai closed on June 15.....sorry, you better take 907Pride on his offer.
    Thanks, never gave that a thought.

Thanks, never gave that a thought.
    No problem, just didn't want you to waste $110 on a ticket....besides, the hoolies really didn't show up on the Kenai in big numbers this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
    ...The hoolies really didn't show up on the Kenai in big numbers this year.
    For the second year in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    For the second year in a row.
    I noticed that too, do they typically cycle or is this odd?

907, thanks for your offer of Hooligan but I live in Soldotna. Quess it would cost less to buy Herring with the price of gas can't make the trip north. thanks anyway.
    I may be headed your way when I'm on my R&R in a week. I'll keep you in mind. I'll definitely be headed that way when the dipping on the Kasilof opens up. I'm sending you a PM with my number. I'll be home this next Saturday if you want to give me a call. I'll let you know which days I'm coming down next.

Maybe their lifecycle is somehow linked to the kings?...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Maybe their lifecycle is somehow linked to the kings?...
    Or the Kings to the Hooligan, obviously a bit early to be panicked but Kings, Hooligan and Halibut all getting scarce in the same few years???