Thread: Downrigger weights coated or not?

Default Downrigger weights coated or not?

So recently I bought the mold to make 10# fish shaped downrigger weights to add to the jig and weight mold collection I already own.
    My dad gave me some nice downriggers to use last year and I plan to test them out.
    I see Cabelas and other places sell a version with a rubberized type coating.
    What is your preference in downrigger weights coated or uncoated? I know I can get dip-it rubberized coating in a spray can and would consider trying this out.
    If I don't coat them I plan on painting them. If I paint them what colors should I use?
    Bright colors so they are easier to see or fish like colors for more fish attraction?
    Thanks in advance.
    Chris
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    So recently I bought the mold to make 10# fish shaped downrigger weights to add to the jig and weight mold collection I already own.
    My dad gave me some nice downriggers to use last year and I plan to test them out.
    I see Cabelas and other places sell a version with a rubberized type coating.
    What is your preference in downrigger weights coated or uncoated? I know I can get dip-it rubberized coating in a spray can and would consider trying this out.
    If I don't coat them I plan on painting them. If I paint them what colors should I use?
    Bright colors so they are easier to see or fish like colors for more fish attraction?
    Thanks in advance.
    Chris
    http://www.protroll.com/books/?id=5&p_id=3

I have been experimenting with The Black Box. In theory you want a good voltage and that is controlled by the box, but your boat may already have a good voltage. This section on coated vs non-coated downrigger weights seems to be a no brainer.

I don't like the coated ones. The rubber on mine got all chewed up and started peeling off. I guess from the times I have bumped bottom with it.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I run braid on my downriggers with great success. It eliminates the voltage concerns, makes crimps obsolete, doesn't fray and cut/stick me and I get a lot more line on the spools.

Coated or not coated is a matter of preference. Plastic boats like coated better but if you use the caddies to hold them, not a problem. Whatever you do when you mold your weights though, use stainless steel loops. The Cannon weights use them and the others I have are regular steel that corrode/wear to the point you need to get another after a couple of seasons, or fall off before you do.

Thanks for the replies. The eyelets for these that I got from the mold maker are brass. I prefer stainless but the mold maker does not sell stainless ones. I suppose I could do a quick online search to see if anybody makes a stainless eye in the right size.
    I would at least like to paint them if I decide not to rubber coat them.
    Any color ideas?

Paint'em like a nice silvery salmon so the sharks can see them!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

There's a bit of a fad ongoing here in BC with glo balls-Yes I'm not making this up people swear that glo-in-the-dark cannonballs attract more fish.

OTOH in a place like Alaska which for whatever reason seems to have more Sharks than BC I wonder about.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Paint'em like a nice silvery salmon so the sharks can see them!!
    Would adding silver reflective tape help as well Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by whalebreath View Post
    There's a bit of a fad ongoing here in BC with glo balls-Yes I'm not making this up people swear that glo-in-the-dark cannonballs attract more fish.

OTOH in a place like Alaska which for whatever reason seems to have more Sharks than BC I wonder about.

I do have some glow in the dark paint. A powder paint in glow white and glow orange that would look nice but be hard to apply and a rattle can glow paint. I had some good Vinyl super Glow but I would have to see if it is still good.
    Thanks for the idea!

One of my most productive cannon balls is a black coated ball with silver prisim tape on the sides of the fin (it's a round ball).
    I also have orange coated and un-coated un-painted cannon balls. They all work.

I think glow would be cool to try though, so make me one up when you do Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    One of my most productive cannon balls is a black coated ball with silver prisim tape on the sides of the fin (it's a round ball).
    I also have orange coated and un-coated un-painted cannon balls. They all work.

I think glow would be cool to try though, so make me one up when you do Chris.
    Sure thing Dave. Just one? lol
    I will bring it to you when you are here for palooza.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Would adding silver reflective tape help as well Steve?
    Yup and a hollow in it for a turkey baster full of scent/blood would be a added plus! Fill a turkey baster with scent/blood and as it goes deeper the water pressure will dribble out the scent and lead the toothy guys right to it!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Yup and a hollow in it for a turkey baster full of scent/blood would be a added plus! Fill a turkey baster with scent/blood and as it goes deeper the water pressure will dribble out the scent and lead the toothy guys right to it!

I was thinking I could have Mike machine out a cavity in the finished lead and then just add a blood soaked sponge.
    I seriously doubt though I will have to worry about sharks stealing my 10# weights. If they did it would surely give him a gut ache tryng to digest that.

Chris
    I had kings hit my black coated/prism taped cannon ball plenty of times.
    Pretty strange to hear a thud, watch the rigger arm bounce and the cable swing back.
    And no it wasn't the bottom. Fishing deep water with riggers set in the top 45'.

Always wondered what that was..thanks for the info. Makes perfect sense now..lol

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Chris
    I had kings hit my black coated/prism taped cannon ball plenty of times.
    Pretty strange to hear a thud, watch the rigger arm bounce and the cable swing back.
    And no it wasn't the bottom. Fishing deep water with riggers set in the top 45'.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

When I had a boat on L.Ontario, I used to spray my herbie weights white with green backs, my round balls either green or white. Did it make a differance, I thought so, but who really knows.

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    http://www.protroll.com/books/?id=5&p_id=3

I have been experimenting with The Black Box. In theory you want a good voltage and that is controlled by the box, but your boat may already have a good voltage. This section on coated vs non-coated downrigger weights seems to be a no brainer.
    They have a product to sell..

The reality is that good fishermen catch lots of kings, and poor fishermen don't catch many.

I break just about every "rule" they have, and I'm really tough to out fish when it comes to kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    Coated or not coated is a matter of preference. Plastic boats like coated better but if you use the caddies to hold them, not a problem. Whatever you do when you mold your weights though, use stainless steel loops. The Cannon weights use them and the others I have are regular steel that corrode/wear to the point you need to get another after a couple of seasons, or fall off before you do.
    It really pisses me off that people use mild steel loops instead of stainess steel. I have upgraded a bunch of balls to stainless steel by milling out the mild steel loop with a 1/4" end mill, dropping in a loop of 1/8" stainless wire, and then soldering the ring in place with an oxy-acetylene torch. My price to fishing buddies and their friends is one six pack per ball.

Big_E