Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of the bigest KP Brown's you will ever see

Default One of the bigest KP Brown's you will ever see

PICT0165-001.JPG I posted this with my others in [bears with big head's] but thought id show you all this. The post to the top of the white is for a 7 foot black bear if he walks buy it just to give you a reference point.
    Bow hunters do it with longer shafts

Unless brown bear baiting is allowed this will be my last season bear baiting on the kp. I wonder if black bear have gotten to the point they don't even bother come to bait stations anymore after being chased away by brown bear so much. Over the last 3 years at my spot its gone from if brown bear weren't around there would be black bear in, to now where if brown bear aren't in nothing but squirrels and birds are. I think black bear have given up and don't bother going into bait stations once a brown bear leaves scent there.
    Its a shame because there are lots of black bear around to bait if the brown bear weren't so bad.

Interesting thought? Duckdon

33outdoorsman - I'm curious - what are you baiting with? Have you tried changing the type of bait you use to see if it limits the amount of brown bear activity?
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    33outdoorsman - I'm curious - what are you baiting with? Have you tried changing the type of bait you use to see if it limits the amount of brown bear activity?
    Derek, there are to many brown bears. I have had three at a time come in to my station, I have used popcorn,dogfood, COB mix with mollases and donuts. If you have any other idea,s let me know.! Thanks.

I agree! I actually think that the Black bear population (all species in reality) are in decline due to the Brown bears on the KP. I strongly advocate a large reduction in the Brown bears on the KP to help the rest of the species to rebound to historically normal levels. The additional benefit will be more Salmon in the streams as well.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Quote Originally Posted by Adison View Post
    I agree! I actually think that the Black bear population (all species in reality) are in decline due to the Brown bears on the KP. I strongly advocate a large reduction in the Brown bears on the KP to help the rest of the species to rebound to historically normal levels. The additional benefit will be more Salmon in the streams as well.
    The Ak. chapter of BHA says you guys are wrong. The BBears should be protected!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    PICT0165-001.JPG I posted this with my others in [bears with big head's] but thought id show you all this. The post to the top of the white is for a 7 foot black bear if he walks buy it just to give you a reference point.
    Do you have a guess-a-ment of the distance between the post and the bear? How tall is the post? For a 7 foot bear on all fours I'm guessing the post is about 3 foot?

Thanks,
    Kelvin

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJoe View Post
    Derek, there are to many brown bears. I have had three at a time come in to my station, I have used popcorn,dogfood, COB mix with mollases and donuts. If you have any other idea,s let me know.! Thanks.
    No, no idea's outside of letting us harvest some brown bears. I have friends who bait, hunt, and work in law enforcement on the Peninsula and many have been bluff charged a number of times the last few years. I've been told popcorn is the least appealing to brown bears but they still hit the bait none-the-less. Where I hunt the browns don't usually mess with my popcorn bait.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    I've tried all kinds of stuff. The first year I used dog food and molasses and that was actually the year I had the most blacks in. Second year went to mostly popcorn and cob with little molasses, lot's of chocolate syrup and got a nice black bear early before the browns got in, but it went downhill from there. I even tried the small hole theory and all the brown bears did was dig out a 8 foot wide by 3 foot deep hole around the bait barrel and looked like a piece of heavy equipment went through the bait site. Then this last spring I cut one hole about 4.5 inches wide into the barrel and chained it upright with chain binders and the browns just ripped the barrel out from the bottom. So I gave up on the small hole theory and just let them have at it. On the trail camera I did get two black bear to come in, but for short times and they never came back. Got a wide variety of brown bear outnumbered black bear probably 5:1.

I know other people that have tried chaining the barrel up a tree so the bears have to climb to get to it and that doesn't even work. The sows and smaller brown bear end up climbing it and by the end of season there will be no bark at all left on the tree. I'm out of ideas and have given up. Too much time, effort, and money to feed brown bear.

The best advice I've heard and makes sense after my experiences is to change bait spots every year so the brown bear don't get used to going to the same spot every year, but due to limited areas on the Kenai that one can bait it makes it very tough to do this.

Here You An Interior Griz And Thats A 55 Gallon Drum About 8 To 10 Inches Of The Ground PICT0107.jpg

This past season I had blackies coming in as little as 6 minutes after a brownie left the pile as documented on trailcam.
    I was suprised to see numerous black bear come all within 50 minutes of 2 different brownies leaving.
    I don't like brownies and honestly I was seriously unnerved when I saw the big one years back...a.k.a. George of the Jungle.
    With me being 6 foot 2 I doubt I could've fully reached all the way around his neck.
    This bear pictured below is NOT the biggest I've had on this stand ~ I was too busy when he came in to even think about taking pictures.

Bear Bait Trail Cam Pics 12 080.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    Unless brown bear baiting is allowed this will be my last season bear baiting on the kp. I wonder if black bear have gotten to the point they don't even bother come to bait stations anymore after being chased away by brown bear so much. Over the last 3 years at my spot its gone from if brown bear weren't around there would be black bear in, to now where if brown bear aren't in nothing but squirrels and birds are. I think black bear have given up and don't bother going into bait stations once a brown bear leaves scent there.
    Its a shame because there are lots of black bear around to bait if the brown bear weren't so bad.

I Had six diffrent grizzly on my bait site, fish and game need to quit screwing around and let us hunt them on our bait sites since they have no idea how many our out there. They have no way of counting them other then we think there is ?

Hi Skip,
    There will be open season on grizzlies out of Nenana this spring. I know guys hunting that way that have tracked the same bears, black and brown, for years. They are pretty excited at this springs prospects. I've got it in mind to spend some time over at F&G and the AC Meetings to see if we can come up w/ some solid proposals, some to include this topic. All we cand do is keep trying, right?
    Thanks for your help on Ray's boat this summer,
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJoe View Post
    After seeing your bear barrel looking like a crushed/flattened beer can.....I think you should bring extra 55 gallon drums.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    After seeing your bear barrel looking like a crushed/flattened beer can.....I think you should bring extra 55 gallon drums.
    Hello Mainer; glad you replied.! Too many brown bears, down on the Kenai. Hope all is well.

Thanks To Ted Spaker And Fish And Game They Don't Think We Have Anuff. They Would Like Us To Fight Over The Last Moose With The Wolfs And The Grizzlies. We Are Haveing The Same Problem Around The Fairbanks Area To Many Grizzlies. Hopefully We And You Don't End Up Like Unit 13 And They Finely Figured Out There Was To Many Preditors. We Need To Be Able To Shoot These Grizzlies Off The Baits

Quote Originally Posted by skip olsen View Post
    Thanks To Ted Spaker And Fish And Game They Don't Think We Have Anuff. They Would Like Us To Fight Over The Last Moose With The Wolfs And The Grizzlies. We Are Haveing The Same Problem Around The Fairbanks Area To Many Grizzlies. Hopefully We And You Don't End Up Like Unit 13 And They Finely Figured Out There Was To Many Preditors. We Need To Be Able To Shoot These Grizzlies Off The Baits
    You guys need to put on your big boy pants... And get snaring for brn and blk bears legalized. Much to some people's disagreement ie bushrat and homerdave. Unfortunately for them this is working in unit 16b and it can work in other units as well...

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    The Ak. chapter of BHA says you guys are wrong. The BBears should be protected!
    Man I couldn't rep you...

Quote Originally Posted by skip olsen View Post
    Have you talked to Mr. Spraker? Doubtful.... otherwise you wouldn't post such an inaccurate opinion.

Also, did you send this message via telegraph?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast