Thread: Kenai and Soldotna School Advice

Default Kenai and Soldotna School Advice

As I put in an earlier post, my wife and I are moving to Soldotna during the kids Christmas break in December. I can't believe how many schools there are in Kenai and Soldotna. I have one daughter in elementary school and one in middle school. Can someone give me some advice to which one is better? Soldotna or Kenai schools? This will make an impact on to where I need to find an apartment. I was leaning towards Soldotna because my wife is going to be finishing her teaching degree at the Kenai River campus in Soldotna. This is probably a dumb question because aren't they are under the same school district?? Thanks

Both schools are great schools. I wouldn't say either of them trump the other. Take your pick. Kenai river campus is not much closer to Soldotna than Kenai. Maybe 5 miles to soldotna vs 7 or 8 miles to kenai. Same district, yes. Others might be able to chime in. I went to Kenai schools for K-12.

I went to soldotna elementary, soldotna middle school, soldotna high school for two years, then graduated from Kenai central. I'm not sure how the primary schools compare, but I preferred kchs to sohi. This was ten years ago and things change, so who knows now. They are in the same district, so I'm sure your kids will be happy in whatever schools they're in.

There aren't any huge differences between the elementary schools in Kenai and Soldotna. You will find great teachers (and not-so-great teachers) in all of them. A couple things you might want to consider for your elementary-age daughter: If your wife is going to be taking classes at KPC, K-Beach Elementary is located right next to the college. This could make your life easier. Also, there are a number of public charter schools in the district that are, perhaps, more progressive in their educational philosophy. Soldotna Montessori is located in Soldotna (in the same building as Soldotna Elementary); Aurora Borealis and Kaleidoscope are charter schools located in Kenai. The charter schools typically have long waiting lists for admission so you would want to contact the principals of these schools before you come up. As you probably know already, you can find info on the individual schools here:

http://www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/schools.aspx

Hope this helps. Good luck!