Thread: Zodiac/Raft

Default Zodiac/Raft

Is a zodiac considered like a raft on here? I have done a few searches but not much info at least on the smaller zodiacs and use in bigger water.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've always considered a zodiac a raft. I don't know what else you would call it? I know people take them out on Cook Inlet.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

the zodiac style of boat is called a "sport boat." It is technically a raft, but used obviously with an outboard motor.

I've taken sport boats on the salt many times in a 13'9" (14fter), but with high seas it's scary as hell. We usually use sport boats for bay accessible areas like on Kodiak, PWS, Valdez, etc. They work great for easy transport with small outboards (<100 lbs or 9.9 hp). But, they are limited in weight capacities compared to round raft designs of the same length. The heavy wood transem makes them limited to deeper channels to avoid strikes and rock damage over riffles.

For the money, consider Maxxon sportboats. I had a 14'fter for 10 years and sold it for what i paid for it, so they seem to be high quality PVC construction with a drop-stitch inflatable floor and keel.

hope this helps.

larry

We don't really have a forum just for sportboats, so we see questions about them in the rafting forum, the power boating forum and other places. We do have a sportboat page AT THIS LINK <http://outdoorsdirectory.com/gear/inflatable-boats/sportboats> that should be of some assistance.

Hope it helps!

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks.There is not much for rafting here on the islands.My Zodiac is a 9'er with 3 1/2hp I use to hop over to other islands. Dang whirlpools on the rip tide is my biggest problem. Also when the waves are comming from different directions you get a real tippy feeling.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Thanks.There is not much for rafting here on the islands.My Zodiac is a 9'er with 3 1/2hp I use to hop over to other islands. Dang whirlpools on the rip tide is my biggest problem. Also when the waves are comming from different directions you get a real tippy feeling.
    I can imagine. I wan't all too comfortable when I was with another guy out on Cook Inlet in one as well....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

ON a side note Zebec does have a raft / sport boat option. Mind you I have never used one and I can't see them having the overall capabilities of a standard raft and or a Sport boat however if you are eve insterested in seeing something different go to Star Boat web page or Zebec international. I swear one of these days I am just going to just go buy one for giggles and see what it is capable of.