Thread: Don't Forget to Stay Home For Father's Day!

Default Don't Forget to Stay Home For Father's Day!

Just Everyone Remember that Sunday is Father's Day and should stay home so I can go down and dip by myself! I might head down Sunday morning if things look promising.

Are you running a boat, or....? I was under the impression HEM's was closed on Sundays; that's why I'm asking.

There are still some decent spots that can be accessed by trail, whether by walking, ATV, or mtn. bike, but was curious if you were planning on using HEM's.

Am I incorrect about HEM's being closed on Sundays? Is it just Chitina One-Stop that's closed on Sundays?

The charter boats do not usually operate on Sunday, but I know they did last year one time when there was a supplemental. So I am planning on my own transportation if I go down. Chitina One Stop is open Sundays but two years ago when I arrived Sunday at about 6:45 they were about to close. I think normally they close much later like 10pm.

What's the cost of using the services? I've only gone via ATV, but had good luck. Just curious what the charter services run.

I was told that Mark and Sam are up to $110 per person this year, though in the past, when the standard rate was $100/person, they gave a $10 discount for persons going together who were fishing the same permit.

I was also told they are charging an additional $20 for your supplemental fish. I can't recall whether they were $10 per supplemental 10 fish, or $20 last year. And whether or not that's $20 per extra ten fish this year, or $20 regardless of whether you get in on two supplementals (i.e., back-to-back supplemental periods, for a total of 20 supplemental fish), or not, I can't say.

Between fuel and the increase in the charter costs, we're biking in this year.

A trailer with an ATV on it sucks my truck's fuel guage down too fast, and the charter's starting to become too much of a bite on what's supposed to be quasi-subsistence meat.

Last winter, Fred Meyers ran a sale on ocean-bright Copper River reds that had been previously frozen. The sales came and went multiple times, but the cost per lb. at the lowest pricing of the series of sales was $2.99/lb.

If fuel continues to go up, the charters continue to go up, and the previously-frozen reds continue to appear in the freezer case at those Fall or Mid-Winter prices, it may eventually become cheaper to BUY the buggers.

A sad day for sure, and a loss of a traditional family outing, but.....

Default $110 Charter Fee

Quote Originally Posted by Grandads338 View Post
    What's the cost of using the services? I've only gone via ATV, but had good luck. Just curious what the charter services run.
    $110 this year. I believe they want more if you are Proxie-ing or if its supplemental.
    Charters website, lots of good info: http://copperrivercharters.net/index2.htm
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com