Thread: Barrel Sizes, other than length?????

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Barrel Sizes, other than length?????

OK, so how do I tell what barrel I have on any given rifle?

I did some seaching on the Internet, but maybe I got impatient and confused
    myself.

Also, is a #2 skinnier, than a #3 or #4, for example, or is it bigger? Are these standards or just general indicators?

What is the most common size, and what about Factory Barrels, are they standard?

What about differences in sizes, and weights betwixt the different #s?

Anything you can tell me regarding barrel profiles would be of interest to me.

Thanks

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If you go to the Douglas barrels website, they have a chart of contours and weights.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks Gunbugs:

I do, have a Douglas barrel on my 700, 280, that Stan Jackson did. It's been awhile, but I THINK he was gonna use a #2 but ended up putting on something else, that I can't remember the number.

None of the dimensions in the charts match what I've got.

Is Douglas, the only barrel maker that uses numbers?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    OK, so how do I tell what barrel I have on any given rifle?

I did some seaching on the Internet, but maybe I got impatient and confused
    myself.

Also, is a #2 skinnier, than a #3 or #4, for example, or is it bigger? Are these standards or just general indicators?

What is the most common size, and what about Factory Barrels, are they standard?

What about differences in sizes, and weights betwixt the different #s?

Anything you can tell me regarding barrel profiles would be of interest to me.

Thanks

Smitty of the North
    I can't think of an exception where the barrel's contour doesn't grow with an increase in contour#. Sometimes there'll be a #5 and #5a or some such delineation, but in general a #0 is a smaller/thinner contour than a #1, a #1 is a smaller/thinner contour than a #2 and so on. Some will use nomenclature like "featherweight", "sporter", "magnum", "varmint", etc. However a #1 from manufacturer X may not be at all like a #1 from manufacturer Y, nor will everyone's "sporter" be the same. Some manufacturers will duplicate most any contour you provide; others give you what they make. Most barrel manufacturer websites contain a chart or list of contour numbers. These charts can be a tad bit confusing, but if you'll look at the diameter at the muzzle, shank length and the diameter an inch or so in front of the shank you can get a very good picture of contour size and compare various manufacturers' barrel weights.

I'd say the rather ubiquitous #2 and #3 are the most common contours on sporter type rifles.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Thanks Gunbugs:

I do, have a Douglas barrel on my 700, 280, that Stan Jackson did. It's been awhile, but I THINK he was gonna use a #2 but ended up putting on something else, that I can't remember the number.

None of the dimensions in the charts match what I've got.

Is Douglas, the only barrel maker that uses numbers?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    What length is the barrel? If 24", I'm betting Stan probably put a sporter contour barrel on your rifle, which is usually a #3 contour barrel or real close. What does the end of your barrel mic out at? .600-.625 or so? Hard to really say though without knowing any barrel dimensions.

Pacnor barrels has a pretty good chart on their website.

Thanks I Cor:
    That's the kind of stuff I wanted to know.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.