View Poll Results: Favorite flipping setup?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flyrod + Mono

9 19.57%
  • Flyrod + Flyline + Leader

15 32.61%
  • Baitcaster + Mono

11 23.91%
  • Baitcaster + Braid

5 10.87%
  • Spinning + Mono

3 6.52%
  • Spinning + Braid

3 6.52%

Thread: Favorite flipping setup?

Default Favorite flipping setup?

Being that flipping is a different animal than casting, (heavier line, horsing fish, repetitive motion, combat fishing), just thought I'd fish for your personal preferences and ask the question.

I prefer the lightest tackle possible myself, but when you're standing in a line of fishermen and hook a fish, you obviously want to bring them in as quick as you can. Do you guys use different setups for say, Ship Creek and the Russian as you would anywhere else?

Spill the roe!

I prefer the fly+flyline+leader. Hand tied flies and casted split shot sinkers for fun.

For the Flyrod+Mono users, what # does most people use. Does the mono cut your fingers after a day of flipping?

I use an 8 weight fly rod, fly line, and 15 pound leader on the Russian. I generally fish well upstream of the crowds, though, so I don't feel the need to have a setup designed for horsing the fish ashore.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I use an 8 weight fly rod, fly line, and 15 pound leader on the Russian. I generally fish well upstream of the crowds, though, so I don't feel the need to have a setup designed for horsing the fish ashore.
    I pretty much do the same thing, but 20# leader, altho I don't fish the Russian. For awhile I used the same thing for Kasilof kings. Great fun but pretty much max's out the little 8wt......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

For those who are using a fly rod with fly line, how are you utilizing the fly line?

I use 40# mono on my set up. For one, it is much more abrasion resistant to rocks and trees and I have 4 outfits that I have for my family and friends and their kids that don't do this very often or have never done it. The water is also fairly fast and milky so I can get away with the heavier line. Using the heavier string is nicer on the fingers and better chances of landing the fish to avoid "beginner frustration."

For the Russian I use an 8 weight with about 12ft. of 25# and 3-4' of 20# tippet. Where I tie on the tippet connection I don't clip off one of the tag ends and use it as a dropper for my split shot. I tie a simple overhand knot to prevent the split shot from sliding off. Many times when the sinker hangs up in the rocks I can usually pull it loose and just replace the sinker(s).