Thread: Access to road heading downriver from Chitina

Default Access to road heading downriver from Chitina

Been a while since I've been to Chitina. I don't remember how far down the road (that parallels the river, heading downstream) you can drive in a full-sized pickup. Are there any pullovers so I can get out of the road? And is it difficult if you need to turn around to head back out? Don't want to wind up having to back up for a long ways to get out, so if I don't get a response here then I'll just walk it to see what my options are.

Hanging a right at the fork where Hems store sits you can travel down a few miles until you hit Obrien Creek. There's a half a dozen decent sized pull outs around the second lake but no pullouts once the road narrows and makes the first? hard right turn until you reach the parking lot at Obrien creek.

I wouldnt I trekking down expecting a place to make a uturn with a long trailer.

Are you referring to the road to O'Brien Creek? Or to the old trail that starts at O'Brien Creek? If you are asking about the trail from O'Brien Creek, the bridge there only allows 4-wheelers. I did see one guy drive through the creek and down the trail aways, but you can not get far, maybe 1/2 mile.

I'm referring to the road that leads to O'Brien Creek. Last time I drove that direction, several years ago, you could drive a truck all the way to Haley Creek. But I know that's not possible now. Just looking at options for how far I can go in my truck to try to find a place to get down to the river without getting into a situation where I wish I wasn't regarding the truck. A four-wheeler or river boat would be nice. Maybe one of these days.

The road to O'Brien is great. They improved it about two years ago with tar and gravel. I don't think it is real asphalt. Lots of places to pull over and park. Lots of parking at O'Brien Creek but can get crowded on weekends.

Thanks for the information.

The road into Chitina has a big sign "O'Brien Creek Rd." Hang a right there . . . it's a nice asphalt road for about 3 miles and then turns to gravel/rock. When they put the asphalt in, they improved camping and parking areas along the road. It had been 5 or 6 years since I'd been there. It's nice, but more crowded.

Once at O'Brien Cr, it's foot, boat or ATV travel.