Thread: Replace Recurve sstring

Default Replace Recurve sstring

Just wondering how often everyone replaces there string, Manufacturer says once a year, but what if the string is in good shape, do you still replace it? \
    Looking to see opinions here.

I would say that depends on how much you shoot it and how often you wax it. But my main bow I probably replace it at least once a year. I do try to shoot it some everyday so it gets shot quite a bit.

I replace flemish strings when they get frayed or cut. Sometimes a bow tip might have a micro burr that may wear faster on a string. If the loops look good and the string looks smooth then keep using it. I do replace the serving once or twice before the string wears out. Continuous loops strings wear out faster IMO. I don't like'em myself.
    Get'n ready for the big'n up North? Good luck.

replace as needed.

Its a good idea to replace every year or so...but generally like bda said, amount of wear is the determining factor....

Along with type of material and age. Save the old strings for backups and shoot in a new string before fall.

Some of my strings have lasted (and currently are being shot) for longer than I should admit and show no signs of being changed....I do need to get another one built and shot in or two before something happens. Its a skinn 8 strand d97 to boot.

I shoot year around but not every day. I think I get more wear on string loops from stringing and unstringing the bows than I do from shooting. I usually replace every year in the Spring when I get serious about practicing...it's cheap insurance...and then I stick the old one in my bag...just in case.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Replace it yearly.I recently had the string break on my longbow and am dang lucky thats the only thing that broke. The string gave a loud KAPOW from under the serving at the shot...it looked great before and was "only" shot for two years. Stupid me! Point is that you can't always tell by looking. Oh, the bow is a custom Centaur, with a year waiting list, and cost a shade more than the string!

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    Replace it yearly.I recently had the string break on my longbow and am dang lucky thats the only thing that broke. The string gave a loud KAPOW from under the serving at the shot...it looked great before and was "only" shot for two years. Stupid me! Point is that you can't always tell by looking. Oh, the bow is a custom Centaur, with a year waiting list, and cost a shade more than the string!
    That was lucky for sure!! I was just thinking after I posted above that I probably don't REALLY need to put a new string on every year. I'm glad you let us know about what happened to you and that let me know that I REALLY do need to spring for a new string in the Spring!!

Thanks!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

lowrider...learn to build them....a board some nails and a spool or two of string! simple to make! 2 ply strings are easy...3 ply arent hard just an extra step. Colors are endless almost! Just becareful once people find out you do it....they call you at all hours of the night, usually right before a season starts up needing a string and forget to pay you after they get back! still cheaper than buying them built!!!

Yes Sir...I have a spool of yellow and one of black and the serving spinner thingy...just haven't gotten around to doing it. It is on my list of things to do right after a couple fly patterns I want to whip up. This retirement thing has me going 12 directions at once and I'm trying to move 2500 miles away....I'll get there!!